Are we supposed to be hoarding 5.56 ammo now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    While I think this whole "ban" stuff is nonsense, I have to ask:

Who here shot M855 with any regularity, instead of the less expensive M193?
    It doesn't matter if you've ever shot M855 or not.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    “It would be fair to say, as we are looking at additional ways to protect our brave men and women in law enforcement, and believe that this process is valuable for that reason alone,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest told TheBlaze during the press briefing. “This seems to be an area where everyone should agree that if there are armor-piercing bullets that fit into easily concealed weapons, that puts our law enforcement at considerably more risk.”

They will not stop at 855. The steel core 7.62x39 and 5.45 ПС гс bans were the easy stones to lay. They were ignored by most shooters because it wasn't "their" caliber, but now the real game is on. When this goes through, they'll move to the next caliber like 7.62x51mm.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Got an email from Midway today. They have M855 for $549.95 per 1000. I would have expected better than that from them. :(

Honestly, they are THE cheapest place to buy that ammo right now (that I know of)...and they are limiting it to one case per person so that everybody can try and get some of it. It sure sucks, but that is the current situation.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Honestly, they are THE cheapest place to buy that ammo right now (that I know of)...and they are limiting it to one case per person so that everybody can try and get some of it. It sure sucks, but that is the current situation.
    I would have expected it from CTD but not Midway. And unfortunately, you are right. Checked several online retailers and Midway is cheaper.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Supply-and-Demand-Graph.png

The much-vaunted yet much-maligned free market at work...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    This hasn't a thing to do with a free market and I think you know it. Free markets don't have the government panicking the market on an irregular basis. Free markets don't have certain things they ban while other they don't without any way to see what the difference is between them. Free Markets don't have regulatory agencies causing fluctuations is supply or any regulatory agencies at all for that matter.

It really amazes me that people trot out this argument when out system is anything but a free market.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Within minutes of the news feeds reporting this whole fiasco, I ordered a case from CTD for $427.00 and that was after shipping and taxes. Small victory I know but I was satisfied.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    This hasn't a thing to do with a free market and I think you know it. Free markets don't have the government panicking the market on an irregular basis.

CORRECTION: the market doesn't panic, people do.

The market is completely rational - people, not so much.

I'd agree that a truly free market is inherently free of intervention, and also say this is a backhanded attempt by BATFE to limit available ammunition to the public that past practice has allowed for decades...but the fact remains that PEOPLE control the elasticity of demand, and people that are buying simply for the sake of buying are contributing to the issue.

Its the 22LR debacle all over again, except in this case, there are plenty of other viable ammunition alternatives out there.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    If you have firearms you should have a nice supply of ammo in the calibers you own. The ups and downs of the news cycle is a bad way to prepare and or become a time to buy.

People buy food when a storm coming but that is more normal. They simply want to have what they need so they don't have to go out in bad weather for a day or so. But buying into the stock market at it's high or buying ammo in a caliber you already own at a time when there may be a shortage is a bad time to be buying or investing.

Buying a generator when there is a really bad storm and there are wide spread power outages is also not a good time to buy/prepare.

My father in law always had ammo cans full of each caliber he owned. He reloaded and bought supplies for reloading as needed throughout the year and then reloaded in his spare time. I do the same now.

I have done the storm/generator thing and it didn't work out real well.

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Merrillville, In
    If you have firearms you should have a nice supply of ammo in the calibers you own. The ups and downs of the news cycle is a bad way to prepare and or become a time to buy.

People buy food when a storm coming but that is more normal. They simply want to have what they need so they don't have to go out in bad weather for a day or so. But buying into the stock market at it's high or buying ammo in a caliber you already own at a time when there may be a shortage is a bad time to be buying or investing.

Buying a generator when there is a really bad storm and there are wide spread power outages is also not a good time to buy/prepare.

My father in law always had ammo cans full of each caliber he owned. He reloaded and bought supplies for reloading as needed throughout the year and then reloaded in his spare time. I do the same now.

I have done the storm/generator thing and it didn't work out real well.

well said :+1:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Top Bottom