Are Armscor 1911s the REAL 1911 over others available?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I ordered a drop in from Ed Brown off brownells lest night. Thought I would give that a try.

I agree. The 1911 is a gun that can be modified and improved (yeah, I said that :)) by some one with the inclination. I have been building motors of all sorts since maybe around 12/13 years old.
    The small block comment hit the nail on the head with me.
    Not trying to change course of this great thread but the pic is one of the last small blocks I built...just north off 600 at the crank with out the spray. 391 C.I. stroker.

never have tried a EB barrel.....let us know how it is with pic's......SBC's????.....last one i built was a 450+ 406 run close to 12-1.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    never have tried a EB barrel.....let us know how it is with pic's......SBC's????.....last one i built was a 450+ 406 run close to 12-1.....

The one in the pic was a true 13 1/2 to 1 motor with 2.05 intakes in Dart pro alum. heads with a port matched Dart manifold. Highly modified 750 Holley. Flowed 835 CFM on the bench. Full mechanical roller cam gear driven. Block was high nickel 4 bolt with Ohio crank shaft recip. unit. Reverse Valve body trans brake turbo-400 with a 5500 stall. Made just north of 600 at the crank and had a 250 HP plate system on it.
    This was all in a 65 chevy Biscayne. Plated/street driven.

I will let you know how the barrel works out and will do some pics.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The one in the pic was a true 13 1/2 to 1 motor with 2.05 intakes in Dart pro alum. heads with a port matched Dart manifold. Highly modified 750 Holley. Flowed 835 CFM on the bench. Full mechanical roller cam gear driven. Block was high nickel 4 bolt with Ohio crank shaft recip. unit. Reverse Valve body trans brake turbo-400 with a 5500 stall. Made just north of 600 at the crank and had a 250 HP plate system on it.
    This was all in a 65 chevy Biscayne. Plated/street driven.

I will let you know how the barrel works out and will do some pics.

Them little rat motors are so cute. MOPAR for the boys wearing long britches.

I pulled my A.O. down for the first time about an hour ago. They're as bad as the RIA if not worse. I'm glad I just picked it up for the frame and spare parts. Kahr has really been in the "Fail" mode for a while now. Some are calling it growing pains but poor quality products are just that. Poor quality. Common sense and Corporate responsibility should be common ground in NOT putting out poor quality products just because you can sell them. It's a POOR way to destroy the good image of a company.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Halfmile I agree. The AO we are dealing with is their Stainless "High-end" offering with all the toys on it. Total crap.

As to the Mopar.....back when you had your (If memory serves) 440 tri -power I was tooling in a 1964 Red Dodge. It was a 426 4 speed. It was stupid fast but believe it or not the car (engine) pictured was faster. Dodge ran a best ever 11.81 in 1972 on slicks. It was as fast as any Hemi I ran with in that day. The baby rat would run 11.70's. If I touched off the spray it would run 11:30's.
    Technology is the key.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Keep us posted. I love to see folks getting into the guts of the 1911. Glocks are for folks who drive Hondas. 1911s are for those of us who spent a great deal of time building small blocks and such...

Josh

Perhaps a better comparison would be "Glocks are for people who drive the New VW Beetle. A 1911 is for those who prefer a Hemi Cuda"

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Or this. The engine in the pics is in this car. I love the full size cars.
    Gauges on the cowl are fuel pressure. 1 for the engine fuel system and the other for the N02 system.

Farmer near me has one of those in light blue and white. It belonged to his Mom and only has 40 some thousand miles on it. Looks like it just came out of the showroom.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Farmer near me has one of those in light blue and white. It belonged to his Mom and only has 40 some thousand miles on it. Looks like it just came out of the showroom.

We went to Arizona for this one. 72K on the clock. 327 with a 3 on the tree when we drove it back. Bench seat car, manual everything. We hung a 12 bolt under it with all the good internals. Hotchkiss suspension in the read. 4 wheel disks. I miss it terribly.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've read this thread from the beginning, and I'm trying to figure out, Are some of you guys bullseye shooters? or just like tearing ur guns apart filing some factory parts and putting new part in to make a better bullseye shooting better functioning handgun?
    I'm not bashing anyone here, But the level of accuracy that I have experienced from some factory 1911's (and maybe I have been really lucky) is truely outstanding. I'm not a bullseye shooter, if I can ring the steel or drop the pin off the table its all good, I do like a reliable hangun just like the next guy. but seems a lil odd to buy a $5-600 1911 KNOWING ur gonna drop another $200 in QUALITY parts into it. I say roll it til the wheels fall off then fix em.

To me, it really depends on what you are wanting from the gun. For most folks who buy a 1911 and take it to the range a couple of times a year, running it until something breaks is fine. But, if you are going to depend on a gun for protection, I fully understand the desire to replace parts before failure based on the experience of others. Then again, if you are wanting to push your pistol as far as your skill can take it, then anything goes.

I have guns that fit all three categories. My WWII 1911 gets taken out a couple of times a year and if I get a FTF (have not, but if I should), it's no problem. I don't depend on that gun so the original WWII parts stay where they are with the exception of a replacement barrel which I put back in before each range trip. Anything I carry has to work and if there are reported issues, I'll consider addressing them before I'll depend on the gun. I now feel comfortable carrying my RIA but only after replacing the thumb safety, sear, disconnector and hammer with better parts. My Sigs and above were good to go out of the box. My Delta Elite is the one that I'm trying to test the limits of my skill on. Realistically, it was good to go out of the box, but I want it to be better than that and have put money into it that I cannot rationalize in any way other than to say it makes me happier having done so.

The only work I've really done to improve accuracy is to replace the factory DE bushing with a custom one that did not have as much slop. Other than that, the work I've done has been mainly to improve the feel of the gun. 1911s are a lot of fun to hotrod and it's tough holding back on making stuff better even if it's good enough already.

BTW, has anyone counted the number of topics this thread is about yet? There's a lot going on in here with each subtopic running strong.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We went to Arizona for this one. 72K on the clock. 327 with a 3 on the tree when we drove it back. Bench seat car, manual everything. We hung a 12 bolt under it with all the good internals. Hotchkiss suspension in the read. 4 wheel disks. I miss it terribly.

I've been trying to buy a '72 Challenger T/A off of my sister for a number of years and hopefully will be able to make the trip out west to pick it up someday. It's been sitting disassembled in her garage for 20 something years and is a complete, numbers matching car that her husband started restoring but lost interest in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been trying to buy a '72 Challenger T/A off of my sister for a number of years and hopefully will be able to make the trip out west to pick it up someday. It's been sitting disassembled in her garage for 20 something years and is a complete, numbers matching car that her husband started restoring but lost interest in.

I have a 70 split bumper Camaro in the exact same condition. If I finish it as started I will have to race it. If I race it I will have to work on it. If I work on it I will have to spend money on it. Catch 22

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To me, it really depends on what you are wanting from the gun. For most folks who buy a 1911 and take it to the range a couple of times a year, running it until something breaks is fine. But, if you are going to depend on a gun for protection, I fully understand the desire to replace parts before failure based on the experience of others. Then again, if you are wanting to push your pistol as far as your skill can take it, then anything goes.

I have guns that fit all three categories. My WWII 1911 gets taken out a couple of times a year and if I get a FTF (have not, but if I should), it's no problem. I don't depend on that gun so the original WWII parts stay where they are with the exception of a replacement barrel which I put back in before each range trip. Anything I carry has to work and if there are reported issues, I'll consider addressing them before I'll depend on the gun. I now feel comfortable carrying my RIA but only after replacing the thumb safety, sear, disconnector and hammer with better parts. My Sigs and above were good to go out of the box. My Delta Elite is the one that I'm trying to test the limits of my skill on. Realistically, it was good to go out of the box, but I want it to be better than that and have put money into it that I cannot rationalize in any way other than to say it makes me happier having done so.

The only work I've really done to improve accuracy is to replace the factory DE bushing with a custom one that did not have as much slop. Other than that, the work I've done has been mainly to improve the feel of the gun. 1911s are a lot of fun to hotrod and it's tough holding back on making stuff better even if it's good enough already.

BTW, has anyone counted the number of topics this thread is about yet? There's a lot going on in here with each subtopic running strong.

Sub-topics tie into the main about (what was we talking about) oh hell, I lost track....:)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Barrel came in the mail. Will start the love fest tomorrow.

Churchmouse,

I was reading the back posts and noticed this post: ingunowners.com/forums/handguns/340907-armscor-1911s-real-1911-over-others-available-3.html#post4960716

I'm not trying to pick on any one person, but these pictures illustrate nicely.

You see, that first picture is correct. The barrel in a 1911 locks up at a little less than 1° off horizontal. In other words, the barrel points down just a little in lockup.

This is illustrated well in pictures of race guns being run at IPSC or wherever. The compensators allow the angle to be viewed more easily.

Just something to keep in mind when fitting the barrel.

Josh

P.S. This was done to keep the front sight from being too tall when the military was worrying about such things.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got the barrel today. There is no way it will fit into that gun. So much of the lugs will have to be cut off to make it fit. I tried a spare Springfield barrel from an RO and it was the same deal.
    I fit the new barrel bushing, tightened up the lug/link fit, new Wilson extractor and Wilson guide rod. I left the hammer off and cycled several mags through the gun. It stripped and fed everyone. It would not do this before.
    I will get it out to the range and see how it runs.

The Ed Brown barrel is now fit up in the Stainless springer I picked up on Sunday. Minimal work on the lugs and a touch off the hood. It is still sitting square on the lugs in lock up. May be a touch more to do.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Got the barrel today. There is no way it will fit into that gun. So much of the lugs will have to be cut off to make it fit. I tried a spare Springfield barrel from an RO and it was the same deal.
    I fit the new barrel bushing, tightened up the lug/link fit, new Wilson extractor and Wilson guide rod. I left the hammer off and cycled several mags through the gun. It stripped and fed everyone. It would not do this before.
    I will get it out to the range and see how it runs.

The Ed Brown barrel is now fit up in the Stainless springer I picked up on Sunday. Minimal work on the lugs and a touch off the hood. It is still sitting square on the lugs in lock up. May be a touch more to do.

how did the chamber look?......did you drop a rd in it to see if it needs reamed?

Top Bottom