• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Got my AR yesterday and spent the evening on line looking at options. I ended up with 8 xtra Magpull mags, a nice tactical, 2 point sling that converts to one point. P sling mount that swivels for left or riight shooting. I can see I'll be looking a quad rail and lights pretty soon. And now, I need ammo and a lot of it!. I would appreciate anyone sharing a good source for the ammo since we're on the topic.

Check this out. Federal XM193C Federal XM193 under $300/1000, shipped!

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    My Ar is primarily going to be for run-n-gun course. .

Best upgrade you will ever do to a run gun will be the trigger! Single stage trigger with a short reset is what you will want to have. I recommend a JP Enterprise or Geissele S3G. Next would be a rifle length gas system and a good muzzle break.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA

No problem doing that. You may later decide that red dots are not for you, and at least you haven't sunk a bunch of money into it.

A light is for identifying your target in darkness. If this was a "fighting rifle" I would say that a light is necessary. If its just for gunnin' you don't need/want the extra weight.

:yesway: You cant hit or fight what you cant see.

I will freely admit that I am a "rail snob". A UTG rail is NOTHING like a LaRue or Daniel Defense rail. My favorite "budget" rail would be the ~$89 carbine rail from Indiana Supply Depot.
    +1 Stay away from the UTG!
    A HUGE +1 for Cwood and ISD!!!!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2_piece_drop_in_carbine_rail_for_ar_15_a.html

The BattleComp is too expensive IMO ($165), so you may wanna pass. The YHM is an excellent budget comp. To install you simply unscrew your birdcage flash hider, and screw on the comp with the supplied crush washer.
    :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway: I LOVE my battle comp!Well worth every penny!

The Wilderness makes a good and very simple single-point sling. VTAC makes an excellent 2-point sling (get the padded version). Similar to that would be the Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS. Urban ERT makes configurable slings that can convert between single- and 2-point.
    I like the Urban ERT,Troy,VCAS all great slings. If you go with a single point Blackhawk makes one with a QD release on the strap itself for easy on/off thats gtg and wont break the bank but I would stick to one like listed above by myself or esrice (all great slings) no matter which one you get just get one.

A single-point sling will require a mount of some kind. So will 2-points if you want quick-detach capability. Some rails and buttstocks come with attachment points built in (like the ISD rail above and a Magpul CTR stock).
    Try one of these for a stock. Very nice and withstood the recoil from my 50 Beowulf with NO problem at all,it has storage for your batteries that you will need for your RDS,nice rubber buttpad,and a built in sling attachment point. I have a few of these and like them alot better than my Magpul ones and theyre lighter:
    www.TI7stock.com
    Plus they are made in America and right aross the river in Lexington,KY by a company that has great CS if its ever needed. Once you try one of these you will have to get one for every AR you own or shotgun that has an AR type stock!
    :twocents:

When you get your sling let me know and I have a Troy QD swivel for ya. Its on me. Welcome to your new addiction:D.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    1. Ammo 2. Make sure you can hit with iron sights, before you think about an optic. 3. Just because it has the word tactical in front of it, does not mean it's useful or functional, keep it simple. The only accessories I find useful are an optic, sling, and light. Bi-pod if you are using a an adjustable optic, and plan on shooting past 50 yards.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    1. Ammo 2. Make sure you can hit with iron sights, before you think about an optic. 3. Just because it has the word tactical in front of it, does not mean it's useful or functional, keep it simple. The only accessories I find useful are an optic, sling, and light. Bi-pod if you are using a an adjustable optic, and plan on shooting past 50 yards.

more good solid advice. Rep to you.:patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Got my AR yesterday and spent the evening on line looking at options. I ended up with 8 xtra Magpull mags, a nice tactical, 2 point sling that converts to one point. P sling mount that swivels for left or riight shooting. I can see I'll be looking a quad rail and lights pretty soon. And now, I need ammo and a lot of it!. I would appreciate anyone sharing a good source for the ammo since we're on the topic.

MFS Ammunition 223 Remington 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Zinc Plated Steel Case Case of 1000 (50 Boxes of 20)

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    you can get M193 for just a lil bit more per case. Someone posted a link to a ste earlier and it was a good price but I forget who it was,maybe they will chime in here soon.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    A light weight rifle is your friend. Save your money and get the good gear first. Buying the cheap stuff to get by only uses up money you could have put towards a quality product that is backed by a great warranty. A S.O.E. Gear or VTAC 2 point sling would be a good start. If you plan to attend the June 1500 you can get a look at a variety of quality gear. If you don't think you'll make it to the show, check out 21st Century Firearms Inc. and Indiana Supply Depot.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Red dot, supressor, a stock that fits you well (for me the CTR) and a damn good sling. Maybe a light.

How practical is a supressor for most people? For the money spent on the supressor and stamp. Someone new to the platform would be better off buying ammo, and getting some training. To properly learn how to use the rifle. My :twocents:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Alot of good info, Thanks fellas. My main focus is goin to be ammo and mags when I get my gun funds built back up. You guys will just have crusify me, I got a cheap rail for it,lol.

Top Bottom