• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was getting there:D

I forgot this was also your thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/149019-ar_15_do_you_prefer_sights_or_scopes.html

The type of shooting you are talking about can sometimes blur the line between "tactical" and "competition".

I'd look at a 1x red dot sight. Aimpoint if this might be used for self defense, and anything else if its just for runnin' and gunnin'. Primary Arms makes a good knockoff.

A weaponlight of some kind is also necessary if its for defense. My favorite combo is a Streamlight PolyTac in a VTAC mount. Some will use a Surefire G2 LED or other similar light. Light and mount together would be under $100.

A rail system will give you maximum flexibility in how you add or rearrange gear. If you're running just a light and/or VFG you could even get away with a Magpul MOE forend if the budget is tight.

A compensator might be nice for managing recoil. I like my BattleComp as it is less "blasty" for shooters next to me. If that isn't a concern I've also had success with a $25 YHM Phantom comp (not flash hider).

You'll want a sling of some kind. I like single or 2-points, depending on the application. 3-points aren't good at anything. :D

Ammo and mags are kind of a given here. PMAGs are the value standard in AR mags these days.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I forgot this was also your thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/149019-ar_15_do_you_prefer_sights_or_scopes.html

The type of shooting you are talking about can sometimes blur the line between "tactical" and "competition".

I'd look at a 1x red dot sight. Aimpoint if this might be used for self defense, and anything else if its just for runnin' and gunnin'. Primary Arms makes a good knockoff.
    Yea Im gonna get a red dot. It will have to be a cheaper one for now though till I get some more cash saved
    A weaponlight of some kind is also necessary if its for defense. My favorite combo is a Streamlight PolyTac in a VTAC mount. Some will use a Surefire G2 LED or other similar light. Light and mount together would be under $100.
    I dont really know if I would need a light, But could come in handy I suppose
    A rail system will give you maximum flexibility in how you add or rearrange gear. If you're running just a light and/or VFG you could even get away with a Magpul MOE forend if the budget is tight.
    I ordered a UAG brand one, due to its price. We shall see how well it works. I just can justify 150-200 bucks on something that could be had for 50. I mean aluminum is aluminum.
    A compensator might be nice for managing recoil. I like my BattleComp as it is less "blasty" for shooters next to me. If that isn't a concern I've also had success with a $25 YHM Phantom comp (not flash hider).
    I will look into those as well, do they just unscrew from the barrel end?
    You'll want a sling of some kind. I like single or 2-points, depending on the application. 3-points aren't good at anything. :D
    Could you recomend a good sling? And would I need to get different sling mounts for a single point?
    Ammo and mags are kind of a given here. PMAGs are the value standard in AR mags these days.
    I have 4 of the steel 30rd ones right now, whats the reason for PMAG to be the best?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yea Im gonna get a red dot. It will have to be a cheaper one for now though till I get some more cash saved

No problem doing that. You may later decide that red dots are not for you, and at least you haven't sunk a bunch of money into it.

I dont really know if I would need a light, But could come in handy I suppose

A light is for identifying your target in darkness. If this was a "fighting rifle" I would say that a light is necessary. If its just for gunnin' you don't need/want the extra weight.

I ordered a UAG brand one, due to its price. We shall see how well it works. I just can justify 150-200 bucks on something that could be had for 50. I mean aluminum is aluminum.

I will freely admit that I am a "rail snob". A UTG rail is NOTHING like a LaRue or Daniel Defense rail. My favorite "budget" rail would be the ~$89 carbine rail from Indiana Supply Depot.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2_piece_drop_in_carbine_rail_for_ar_15_a.html

I will look into those as well, do they just unscrew from the barrel end?

The BattleComp is too expensive IMO ($165), so you may wanna pass. The YHM is an excellent budget comp. To install you simply unscrew your birdcage flash hider, and screw on the comp with the supplied crush washer.

Could you recomend a good sling? And would I need to get different sling mounts for a single point?

The Wilderness makes a good and very simple single-point sling. VTAC makes an excellent 2-point sling (get the padded version). Similar to that would be the Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS. Urban ERT makes configurable slings that can convert between single- and 2-point.

A single-point sling will require a mount of some kind. So will 2-points if you want quick-detach capability. Some rails and buttstocks come with attachment points built in (like the ISD rail above and a Magpul CTR stock).

I have 4 of the steel 30rd ones right now, whats the reason for PMAG to be the best?

They are stronger, lighter, and extremely reliable. At $14/each you can't beat 'em.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    mags and ammo. thats all you need

Well . . . , it's part of it.

A sling. A long gun without a sling is like a pistol without a holster. Remember, it's all about gun handling, not shooting.

I've never been a door kicker or mall ninja, so I like a GI web sling. They are far more utilitarian than the donkey dong one points. Soft material, if I can find them. They will stick to your sweater or other clothing during training.

A light. If I will be fighting with the gun, it will be dark. Many excellent lights out there. I prefer the mini-Scout light because of weight. You will probably buy 3 to 4 lights before you decide on one.

Iron sights. Many excellent iron sights, I prefer Troy.

A pistol grip. If you are going to get proficient with the weapon, that gap on the grip will eat your finger. Get a different grip to stop that before you give yourself a big boo-boo. The Duckbill or I like the Tango Down grip work great but there are others just ensure that gap is eliminated.

I think those are the must haves. There are many other options and that's what makes the AR so popular. Just remember this, just because it is offered in a catalogue does not mean you need it. Before you stack some goofy mall ninjy thing on your weapon ask yourself "does it solve a problem for me?"

Another thing I consider a "must have" is not the weapon itself but your way of carrying additional mags. Chest rig or belt carrier, etc. You will go though several of these too. I prefer the Eagle M4 LE 3 mag chest rig (but that's just me). The straps are nice and wide for my tender office toned body and I can switch around the other pouches (right now I have a medical kit on the right side and 4 1911 mags on the left).

You can get idears from here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...22027-chest_rig_plate_carrier_pic_thread.html

I don't know about optics. Lots of good stuff out there now. If I had to have one, if my eyes demanded it or the like, I would go with the mini-ACOGs.

Fingering gear is what makes the AR popular and why carbine classes are mall ninja fly paper. Guys love to jerk with the gear. Keep it simple, let your threshold question be "does it solve a problem for me?"

Remember, not everyone is a SEAL or the po-leece or whatever. Concentrate on the software (the training) and let it make your hardware decisions.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Well . . . , it's part of it.

A sling. A long gun without a sling is like a pistol without a holster. Remember, it's all about gun handling, not shooting.

I've never been a door kicker or mall ninja, so I like a GI web sling. They are far more utilitarian than the donkey dong one points. Soft material, if I can find them. They will stick to your sweater or other clothing during training.

A light. If I will be fighting with the gun, it will be dark. Many excellent lights out there. I prefer the mini-Scout light because of weight. You will probably buy 3 to 4 lights before you decide on one.

Iron sights. Many excellent iron sights, I prefer Troy.

A pistol grip. If you are going to get proficient with the weapon, that gap on the grip will eat your finger. Get a different grip to stop that before you give yourself a big boo-boo. The Duckbill or I like the Tango Down grip work great but there are others just ensure that gap is eliminated.

I think those are the must haves. There are many other options and that's what makes the AR so popular. Just remember this, just because it is offered in a catalogue does not mean you need it. Before you stack some goofy mall ninjy thing on your weapon ask yourself "does it solve a problem for me?"

Another thing I consider a "must have" is not the weapon itself but your way of carrying additional mags. Chest rig or belt carrier, etc. You will go though several of these too. I prefer the Eagle M4 LE 3 mag chest rig (but that's just me). The straps are nice and wide for my tender office toned body and I can switch around the other pouches (right now I have a medical kit on the right side and 4 1911 mags on the left).

You can get idears from here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...22027-chest_rig_plate_carrier_pic_thread.html

I don't know about optics. Lots of good stuff out there now. If I had to have one, if my eyes demanded it or the like, I would go with the mini-ACOGs.

Fingering gear is what makes the AR popular and why carbine classes are mall ninja fly paper. Guys love to jerk with the gear. Keep it simple, let your threshold question be "does it solve a problem for me?"

Remember, not everyone is a SEAL or the po-leece or whatever. Concentrate on the software (the training) and let it make your hardware decisions.

Very well said Kirk, sometime we take for granted that everyone has simple things like the sling. Another good point is asking yourself "does this solve a problem for me"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Very well said Kirk, sometime we take for granted that everyone has simple things like the sling.

If you have ever been to a public range you know that slings are the exception not the rule. Or, at a gun show, guys point the guns all over Creation with the weapon on their shoulder with the muzzle pointing at another's ear.

Come on, guys, "sling arms!" and be safe. Every long gun should have a sling.

Another good point is asking yourself "does this solve a problem for me"

Just to be clear for the record, that is not me, that is what I was taught by Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Definately a must have!
    ARR-225.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    No problem doing that. You may later decide that red dots are not for you, and at least you haven't sunk a bunch of money into it.

A light is for identifying your target in darkness. If this was a "fighting rifle" I would say that a light is necessary. If its just for gunnin' you don't need/want the extra weight.

I will freely admit that I am a "rail snob". A UTG rail is NOTHING like a LaRue or Daniel Defense rail. My favorite "budget" rail would be the ~$89 carbine rail from Indiana Supply Depot.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2_piece_drop_in_carbine_rail_for_ar_15_a.html

The BattleComp is too expensive IMO ($165), so you may wanna pass. The YHM is an excellent budget comp. To install you simply unscrew your birdcage flash hider, and screw on the comp with the supplied crush washer.

The Wilderness makes a good and very simple single-point sling. VTAC makes an excellent 2-point sling (get the padded version). Similar to that would be the Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS. Urban ERT makes configurable slings that can convert between single- and 2-point.

A single-point sling will require a mount of some kind. So will 2-points if you want quick-detach capability. Some rails and buttstocks come with attachment points built in (like the ISD rail above and a Magpul CTR stock).

They are stronger, lighter, and extremely reliable. At $14/each you can't beat 'em.

Thanks for all the info bud! Ill keep all that stuff in mind. Alot will be try an error at first to see what I like an what I dont like.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    PMAGS are not the best, but they are very very good and can be had at a good price, combination of modest price and high quality make them a heck of a value. The best of the best are Lancer L5 mags, but they will cost you about $18 each.

Thanks, That clears up alot of questions!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    1.) Ammo

2.) Magazines (Magpul kool-aid drinker and promoter here, buy Pmags!!!)

3.) Training

^^^ As others have already mentioned, after some training you'll quickly realize what you want/need to change on your rifle. Mission-driven accessory application works best. Once you know what your intention is with the rifle, then you go about outfitting it accordingly.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Got my AR yesterday and spent the evening on line looking at options. I ended up with 8 xtra Magpull mags, a nice tactical, 2 point sling that converts to one point. P sling mount that swivels for left or riight shooting. I can see I'll be looking a quad rail and lights pretty soon. And now, I need ammo and a lot of it!. I would appreciate anyone sharing a good source for the ammo since we're on the topic.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    That's a nice start ..!!!! Now get some ammo and get to shooting..!! Oh and like some of the previous post get some training...!!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom