• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have watched production machines making ammo at the Twin Cities Army Ammunition plant in, like 1971. The brass and bullets going by are a blur. Any bullets that don't have neck tension get thrown out by centrifigal force. And that did happen as part of the QC process.

I was there, I witnessed it. The desired neck tension is .001. That is an absolute. If there is no neck tension, the bullet gets thrown out in the first curve of the producton line.

I cannot imagine the Russkies not doing the same.

That ain't Russian production. I've measured Russian 7.62mm bullets running anywhere from .308-.311, with an average in the .309 range. I've seen similar spreads with barrels. Barrels I could just right off to wear, but not with bullets.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Mr. Obvious here. lol With the stated round count, we can assume the rifle is broke in.

+1 on a good cleaning with a rod and brush, and clean/lubricate "everything" with a close eye for damage or anything unusual.

Stick a quality bullet at the end of your barrel and then try the same lot of off shore ammo you used, and see if there is a obvious difference.

This quick sizing trick was used with some success with Century Polish Tantals 5.45x39 barrels key holing, because CAI used .223 barrels instead. lol

+1 on firing quality ammo for a definite rule out comparison to this particular lot of off shore ammo.

Some of their stuff is underpowered and not as consistent in the velocity spreads and the quality control is pretty liberal as a whole. lol

Good luck with a solution, this a fun one. (9) pages worth so far. lol

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    How do you slug a bore? I dont know much on the gunsmithing kind of stuff

find a lead bullet of .224 drop it nose first into the chamber and drive it threw with a brass rod.....measure the bullet and it will tell you what size your bore is.....then pull a bullet from the ammo you was shootin' and measure it....if its smaller or bigger then you have found your trouble...

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    find a lead bullet of .224 drop it nose first into the chamber and drive it threw with a brass rod.....measure the bullet and it will tell you what size your bore is.....then pull a bullet from the ammo you was shootin' and measure it....if its smaller or bigger then you have found your trouble...

Do you know anywhere that i can buy a single lead bullet lol?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    WOW! You guys are really drawing at straws here. I haven't seen such outlandish reasonings and suggestions on INGO since becoming a member. Everyone just needs to step outside the box for a moment and start looking at the obvious here.

To the OP -

Was anyone in the vicinity of your AR, wearing a Glock or a Hi-Point at the time you were shooting?

Have you broken a mirror within the last 7 years?

Do you own a black cat?

:D

Tolerances can suck (or blow) with some guns. Some are very temperamental with Wolf and Brown. Mine will never see these 2 brands for this reason.

Find what you gun likes and stick with it. Mine like Mil-Spec with the following recipe.
    1/7 = 62gr
    1/9 = Both
    1/12 = 55gr

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    WOW! You guys are really drawing at straws here. I haven't seen such outlandish reasonings and suggestions on INGO since becoming a member. Everyone just needs to step outside the box for a moment and start looking at the obvious here.

To the OP -

Was anyone in the vicinity of your AR, wearing a Glock or a Hi-Point at the time you were shooting?

Have you broken a mirror within the last 7 years?

Do you own a black cat?

:D

Tolerances can suck (or blow) with some guns. Some are very temperamental with Wolf and Brown. Mine will never see these 2 brands for this reason.

Find what you gun likes and stick with it. Mine like Mil-Spec with the following recipe.
    1/7 = 62gr
    1/9 = Both
    1/12 = 55gr

I actually had a Glock on my hip :D

But idk why this ammo would just now mess up? Ive shot 800 rounds of it perfectly fine now with no keyholing.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

no drawin' straws here.....i have slugged many out of spec barrels that need a cuttin' torch took to them.....

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Occam's Razor: It is a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect.

i.e. ammo

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To the OP seriously now. I am no gunsmith, totally self taught with firearms. But I have had years of troubleshooting experience. And While there is plenty of good advice here. My best advice to you is adhere to the one rule that has cured more problems than I can count, and that rule is to KISS any problem, and you will find your solution. That is Keep It Simple Silly! The chances are that there nothing seriously wrong with your rifle. Think about the last things that you did with or to your rile before this happened. And start there, then start with the simplest of all the advice given here and work your way forward to the more complicated. I will bet that you will find there is nothing seriously wrong with your rifle.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    To the OP seriously now. I am no gunsmith, totally self taught with firearms. But I have had years of troubleshooting experience. And While there is plenty of good advice here. My best advice to you is adhere to the one rule that has cured more problems than I can count, and that rule is to KISS any problem, and you will find your solution. That is Keep It Simple Silly! The chances are that there nothing seriously wrong with your rifle. Think about the last things that you did with or to your rile before this happened. And start there, then start with the simplest of all the advice given here and work your way forward to the more complicated. I will bet that you will find there is nothing seriously wrong with your rifle.

Thank you very much for your input! The more the better. As you suggested i do plan on starting out doing the simplest of things first. Here is what i plan on doing.

- Clean my gun and make sure my gas rings are in check (ive done that)
    - Use Hoppes #9 and scrub the barrel clean
    - Slug the barrel
    - Check the ammo size
    - Take of my flash hider and clean that out

Then ill test it out again. Im gonna test out a few differant types of ammo. I plan on shooting a mag of this Brown Bear, a mag of Wolf, a mag of my girlfriends dads 69gr reloads, and a mag of some PMC

Then ill figure out if it fixed it lol hopefully

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Above #1 #2 and #5 are complete wastes of time and, as a guy who has shot out more barrels than I could carry all at once, I'm curious as to the wear pattern that would be revealed by #3 that would shift the barrel from stabilizing to not in the space of a single magazine without any preceding evidence of its onset.

But by all means, do everything outlined and report back. This is likely the worst thread in the history of the site and there is no reason not to raise the bar further, to discourage contenders.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Above #1 #2 and #5 are complete wastes of time and, as a guy who has shot out more barrels than I could carry all at once, I'm curious as to the wear pattern that would be revealed by #3 that would shift the barrel from stabilizing to not in the space of a single magazine without any preceding evidence of its onset.

But by all means, do everything outlined and report back. This is likely the worst thread in the history of the site and there is no reason not to raise the bar further, to discourage contenders.

Im not sure why this is the worst thread in the history of the site? Could you please explain? I thought it was great. I was not expecting to have this much help

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    If this was help I'd hate to see hinderance.

So what have you done to help other than crap in the OP's thread? The more ideas the better. Some suggestions might not be pertinent but people are trying to help. It's up to the OP to try what he thinks might work.

Top Bottom