• ...and so much more!
  • Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Hi guys!

I can find a LOT of threads about AK vs. AR discussing the RIFLES.

What I wanna know is: What kind of PERSON buys an AK vs. an AR or vice versa? I mean, what are the motivations of people when they choose to buy one over the other? I mean, because a lot of us have BOTH, and we were looking for different things when we went into the market for each.

Here is what I think:

AK: 1) Someone who wants something that will go bang with a minimum of fuss and maintenance. Someone who doesn't want a high-maintenance firearm.
    2) Someone who is concerned about getting a detachable-mag carbine with minimal ammo costs
    3) Someone who just likes the history of the Soviet Union and their weapons. A traditionalist or collector.

AR: 1) Someone who loves to tinker and modify/upgrade their firearms.
    2) Someone who is concerned about parts wearing out and wants parts interchangeability.
    3) Someone who is less concerned about tradition and collecting, and wants to make a super modern black rifle with cutting edge abilities and accessories.

Here's one more:

Shotgun: 1) Someone who is looking to meet their needs for the minimum amount of currency outlay.
    2) Someone who values versatility above all...especially as a hunter
    3) Someone who wants a manually operated weapon (to optimize reliability -- or at least make it so any failures are a result of their actions, not the machine's failure)
    4) Someone who shoots clays. =)

What do y'all think?

And apologies for bringing up another AR vs. AK thread! =)

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Well :dunno:

Personally, I bought my AK as my do-it-all gun. Target, varmint, SHTF. I just wanted a rifle that I could drop in a river, pick back up, shake it out, and fire it no problem.

ADDICTED2TONE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Floyds Knobs
    I like em both or all 3 if we're including the Mosin and the M44 being my favorite of that rifle.
    It ain't really a versus to me. It's like comparing apples and oranges and potatoes and asking which one is best?
    Each one has its strengths and weaknesses.
    I took the high road here.
    I refuse to take part in making this thread go over like a fart in church..

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm an AR guy most definitely, but there is something undeniably awesome about the AK and its action that makes it crazy fun to shoot.

I'm a big fan of both.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    AK! AK! AK!.....

In all seriousness.
    I chose AK because reliability, materials, caliber, ruggedness and durability, fun and easy to tinker with, plus you could bubba smith it up a bit and not feel all that bad about doing it.:):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had both and decided to sell the AR. It just didn't thrill me when I shot it, but then I'm something of a recoil junkie. :): I did kind of go all mall ninja on my VZ 2008 (I know - not really an AK, but in the same genre), but I've left my Maadi AK "as is" with the exception of adding a Tech Sight rear peep. I'm not really one to tinker with my guns all that much, so the AR platform didn't hold that attraction for me.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I was trained on the M16A2 and can hit the black at 500 yds with iron sights. I know the system well and I can rely on it. When I bought an AK I immediately realized how much looser the tolerances are of the weapon system and that I'd never get the accuracy from it like the M16/M4. With my limited budget, it didn't make sense to throw money into a second system that I didn't trust as thoroughly. Got rid of the AK.

Top Bottom