Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Just find a Crossfire and get over it...:):

Crossfire1_zpscaf61494.gif

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've had both and decided to sell the AR. It just didn't thrill me when I shot it, but then I'm something of a COSMOLINE junkie. :): I did kind of go all mall ninja on my VZ 2008 (I know - not really an AK, but in the same genre), but I've left my Maadi AK "as is" with the exception of adding a Tech Sight rear peep.

FIFY

You know I have been in therapy since I found out you were a closeted mall ninja....

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    7 ARs and 1 AK.

I think the most I have ever owned at one time was 7 AK variants and 2 ARs. Now I am down to 3 (going on 4) AK variants and 1 AR.

I prefer the manual of arms on an AK over the AR personally. The only real advantages I see in the AR is the ease of mag changes and inherent accuracy. Although my Arsenal SAM7 will give my AR a fun for its money if I am shooting either from the shoulder. Probably more to do with my sloppy shooting than either rifle though.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What if a guy likes Ceasar Guerini shotguns, Beretta handguns and Fine grade custom shop Model 70's? I feel so left out.

Seriously, the OP makes some pretty good generalizations.

I would like to make an addition to the AR list. Someone who is regulated by a national match competition rule book and diminishing discretionary income.

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'm the kind of guy that celebrates diversity, embraces technology, loves the old school, and appreciates K.I.S.S. (Keeping It Simple, Stupid!)

I like the old-school simplicity of the AK. It's just a simple, functional piece of metal and steel that does it's job. I own many AKs as well as ARs. In my opinion, the AK is a rusty, trusty old wooden handled hammer as the AR is a micarta/carbon fiber handled knife with a paracord lanyard, both serve a purpose and are functional tools in any man's tool box. ...plus, my family has roots in Hungary and Romania, so it's a perfect excuse to own some AKs!

Ar to AK, If I had to pick one, I wouldn't. I'll take them both. Like I said, I celebrate diversity!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    To do it up right, we really need to add Mosin Nagant owners to the comparison...

Mosin Nagant HumorÂ* AK vs. AR vs. Mosin Nagant

;)

Thanks! Had seen that years back, was wondering the other day where to find it. You saved me from wandering the internet looking for it.

I'm AK guy, mostly for reasons listed in OP. In our little AK coven we describe the differences to newcomers as "The AR is a prom queen. The AK is a biker chick."

Wolverines!
    Oh. Ahem.
    :)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    AK people don't like me talking about the AK because I don't sugar coat anything. I will surmise my experiences as such. If I am gonna carry around a rifle that weighs as much as a loaded AK weighs, I'm gonna carry something that will get me a lot more UMPF with an additional 400 yards of useful range.

Most AK people I've talked to always spout off internet myths and then when facts get in the way justify their beliefs with the cost factor.

Alamo, the M14 is the hot girl next door, the AR is the homely girl in homeroom, and the AK is the crack ho.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    ... America vs the Soviet Union...

Being the non-committal, red-blooded, moderate-leaning, world-citizen that I am ... I bought American mechanics (Garand-style) shooting Soviet ammo (7.62x39). Hello, Ruger Mini-30.

mini30.jpg

Besides, rifles with pistol grips are scary!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    AK people don't like me talking about the AK because I don't sugar coat anything. I will surmise my experiences as such. If I am gonna carry around a rifle that weighs as much as a loaded AK weighs, I'm gonna carry something that will get me a lot more UMPF with an additional 400 yards of useful range.

Most AK people I've talked to always spout off internet myths and then when facts get in the way justify their beliefs with the cost factor.

Alamo, the M14 is the hot girl next door, the AR is the homely girl in homeroom, and the AK is the crack ho.
    Comedy! You has it!

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    The entire design was based on reliability under harsh conditions with minimal maintenance. It's an almost 70 year old unchanged design... Any sacrifices you make to carry the russian ak is for reliability. It was also made focused on mass production for the time period. I think it's story and reliability is what does it for me personally. I'll own an ar someday and enjoy it for different reasons

Last edited:

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I had a Colt H-bar 10 years ago even thou I enjoyed it I had something missing. Recoil and caliber! Natural progression lead to the functional and simplicity of the AK.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    So at what point in time does the AR out live the old "reliability" saw? In 27 years since being introduced to the M16A2 and subsequent versions, I have had exactly ZERO mechanical failures. I can't say that of the 500 or so real AKs that I've test fired. This whole reliability gap closed long ago, and you can even get your AR in many chamberings.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I own and like both. I've never really understood why some want to make a debate over it. The AK can be much more accurate than given credit, and the same can be said about the AR with reliabilty. Personally, I prefer the AK. I like the KISS mentality and like the reliability associated with the platform. I also like the controls better, and find it easier to operate with gloves. Field stripping is rarely needed but it's simpler to do, especially with how few parts are involved and how big they are. Never been a fan of direct impingement, keeping the mess and heat away from the bcg and fcg makes much more sense to me. That said, both are obviously extremely capable and have put many men down in their wake.

Top Bottom