Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    (8) 5.56 AR's; 7.5" to 16"
    (1) .308 AR pattern
    (1) 7.62x39 converted Saiga all tacticool and stuff
    (1) 5.45x39 Bulgy w/wood furniture
    (1) 12ga tacticooled converted Saiga
    (1) 12ga Vepr

I like them all for the reasons that others have given, but Uncle Sam made me more proficient with an AR. Had I grown up along the Volga I'm pretty sure I'd be an AK fan boy...

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Hi guys!

I can find a LOT of threads about AK vs. AR discussing the RIFLES.

What I wanna know is: What kind of PERSON buys an AK vs. an AR or vice versa? I mean, what are the motivations of people when they choose to buy one over the other? I mean, because a lot of us have BOTH, and we were looking for different things when we went into the market for each.

Here is what I think:

AK: 1) Someone who wants something that will go bang with a minimum of fuss and maintenance. Someone who doesn't want a high-maintenance firearm.
    2) Someone who is concerned about getting a detachable-mag carbine with minimal ammo costs
    3) Someone who just likes the history of the Soviet Union and their weapons. A traditionalist or collector.

AR: 1) Someone who loves to tinker and modify/upgrade their firearms.
    2) Someone who is concerned about parts wearing out and wants parts interchangeability.
    3) Someone who is less concerned about tradition and collecting, and wants to make a super modern black rifle with cutting edge abilities and accessories.

Here's one more:

Shotgun: 1) Someone who is looking to meet their needs for the minimum amount of currency outlay.
    2) Someone who values versatility above all...especially as a hunter
    3) Someone who wants a manually operated weapon (to optimize reliability -- or at least make it so any failures are a result of their actions, not the machine's failure)
    4) Someone who shoots clays. =)

What do y'all think?

And apologies for bringing up another AR vs. AK thread! =)

After having read CJ Chivers The Gun I start to find that the reality of the development of the AK and the AR are a little different than the common internet conception of their development. The book certainly gives one more respect for the AK, but also, in detail describes and explains the various reasons the AR-15/M16 met with so many problems early as well as their resolution. Very interesting book. Ultimately, I think that some of perceived "edge" of the AK over the AR is lost when referring to semi-auto rifles vs automatic weapons.

I prefer the AR because of modularity and interchangeability.

My defense shotgun is a Benelli M4, so although it is versatile, it certainly was not a minimal amount of currency, nor is it manually operated, and I really don't know about clays..?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Popular culture drives gun trends in the industry, in particular movies.

Oh really??? So I guess you are now going to tell me that Stainless Colt Pythons have went through the roof the past four years because what? Some Deputy in the "Walking Dead" carries one???

I guess now you are going to say something like "Back in the 1970's Smith and Wesson Model 29's were hard to come by because of "Dirty Harry" and were selling for twice retail as fast as Smith and Wesson could make them." Is that what you think???? You think us gun owners are that shallow and trendy????

I doubt any of that happened....

Oh wait...Er...Uh...Never mind....:facepalm:

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Oh really??? So I guess you are now going to tell me that Stainless Colt Pythons have went through the roof the past four years because what? Some Deputy in the "Walking Dead" carries one???

I guess now you are going to say something like "Back in the 1970's Smith and Wesson Model 29's were hard to come by because of "Dirty Harry" and were selling for twice retail as fast as Smith and Wesson could make them." Is that what you think???? You think us [STRIKE]gun[/STRIKE] revolver owners are that shallow and trendy????

I doubt any of that happened....

Oh wait...Er...Uh...Never mind....:facepalm:

FIFY
    :):

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I like them both for different reasons. AK is less finicky for me but fumbling with the safety isnt much fun on an AK

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is that what you think???? You think us gun owners are that shallow and trendy???

I see you are new to INGO. Welcome to INGO and please peruse the 10,675 threads we have about the latest polymer pistol in the latest movie for your answer.

Meanwhile, this message from Samuel L. Jackson was brought to you by Smith & Wesson:

600px-CAWS_683.jpg

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Since you bring up Samuel...

jackie-brown-9.jpg

"AK-47, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every m---------- in the room; accept no substitutes." --Samuel L. Jackson.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    After having read CJ Chivers The Gun I start to find that the reality of the development of the AK and the AR are a little different than the common internet conception of their development. The book certainly gives one more respect for the AK, but also, in detail describes and explains the various reasons the AR-15/M16 met with so many problems early as well as their resolution. Very interesting book. Ultimately, I think that some of perceived "edge" of the AK over the AR is lost when referring to semi-auto rifles vs automatic weapons.

I prefer the AR because of modularity and interchangeability.

My defense shotgun is a Benelli M4, so although it is versatile, it certainly was not a minimal amount of currency, nor is it manually operated, and I really don't know about clays..?

Cool. Out of curiosity: if you (God forbid) were in a home defense "situation"...would the Benelli be what you reached for? Or would you reach for another weapon?

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Cool. Out of curiosity: if you (God forbid) were in a home defense "situation"...would the Benelli be what you reached for? Or would you reach for another weapon?

Well, because we have two little family members, I have decided that the shotgun is not likely the best choice for home defense in your typical break in scenario. I have, after some debate, arrived at using my Walther PPQ instead. Why? Because I am more likely to be able to put effective rounds on target with less likelihood of "liabilities" or whatever you want to call them. Now, take the family members out of the equation or imagine a scenario where you have time to open the gun safe and need to defend your home from multiple individuals, etc. I cannot imagine a better weapon than one that can put 9 00buck down the pipe without reloading and within about 2 seconds if need be. Considering that, my M4 is the only firearm loaded and ready to go in my safe. I live in the suburbs though. If I were more in the country I'd choose an AR..... or.... AK!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I like em both or all 3 if we're including the Mosin and the M44 being my favorite of that rifle.
    It ain't really a versus to me. It's like comparing apples and oranges and potatoes and asking which one is best?
    Each one has its strengths and weaknesses.

Agreed. I have at least 1 of each:
    Mosin Nagant M91/30
    Mosin Nagant M44
    SKS
    AR
    AK

They are all fun in their own way.

Top Bottom