Black & Tan M4

9905du.jpg

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    It's a DPMS rear sight. I haven't used the carry handle sight, but from what I can tell, it's exactly like that. I'm not in the state right now, but when I get back I can upload some pictures of the sight if you'd like.

Picture thread::
    2czbl76.jpg

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Here's my latest, a 16" HBAR chambered for the .300 Blackout. Although I haven't applied the FDE finish to the upper (thanks, flu!), I'm really digging the balance on this one and just love the Aimpoint Micro T1. As currently set up, it's one of the most intuitive AR's I've ever handled, at least with the dry-firing drills I've been running. The FDE MagPul BUIS were just extras sitting in a drawer, but they cowitness perfectly with the T1. Haven't fired a single round through it yet, but picking up some Pmags tomorrow and hope to start breaking it in sometime in the next couple of weeks:

Blackout_zpsf55831d8.jpg

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Here's my latest, a 16" HBAR chambered for the .300 Blackout. Although I haven't applied the FDE finish to the upper (thanks, flu!), I'm really digging the balance on this one and just love the Aimpoint Micro T1. As currently set up, it's one of the most intuitive AR's I've ever handled, at least with the dry-firing drills I've been running. The FDE MagPul BUIS were just extras sitting in a drawer, but they cowitness perfectly with the T1. Haven't fired a single round through it yet, but picking up some Pmags tomorrow and hope to start breaking it in sometime in the next couple of weeks:

Blackout_zpsf55831d8.jpg

How do you like that mag tactical lower? Really wanting to pick one up to do a pistol/Sbr build.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    How do you like that mag tactical lower? Really wanting to pick one up to do a pistol/Sbr build.

I love it. The weight difference between the MAG Tactical and any of my other lowers is kind of astounding. I visited their new plant just as they were getting settled in a few months ago. The big Haas machining center these are milled out on is completing a lower in something like seven (?) minutes! It's essentially a new machine so their tolerances should be tight for at least a couple more years, I'd think. This lower build went together flawlessly but I can't speak to its performance/endurance yet. I spent some time picking the brain of their lead sales guy at a suppressor shoot back in February of last year and his Blackout apparently had all kinds of mileage on it, serving as a test gun and "dealer sample" of sorts. I liked it so much that I set about building a similar carbine for myself!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I love it. The weight difference between the MAG Tactical and any of my other lowers is kind of astounding. I visited their new plant just as they were getting settled in a few months ago. The big Haas machining center these are milled out on is completing a lower in something like seven (?) minutes! It's essentially a new machine so their tolerances should be tight for at least a couple more years, I'd think. This lower build went together flawlessly but I can't speak to its performance/endurance yet. I spent some time picking the brain of their lead sales guy at a suppressor shoot back in February of last year and his Blackout apparently had all kinds of mileage on it, serving as a test gun and "dealer sample" of sorts. I liked it so much that I set about building a similar carbine for myself!

That's good to hear. I've been able to handle the lower and it is pretty crazy the weighg difference. I am really hoping they release the matched upper theh have been working on soon. That would surely make for a decent total weight savings.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just got done putting this one together.

RRA lower
    Geissele G2S trigger
    UBR stock
    MIAD grig
    RRA upper
    WMD Nickel Boron BCG
    16" ICE arms SS barrel
    Fortis 14" rail
    Troy BUIS
    SJC Titan Comp
    Bobro mount with Vortex PST 1-4

All parts purchased at USDS
    Scope and mount from A&A optics

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Blackout_zpsf55831d8.jpg

Sweet looking build, but shouldn't the optic be on the receiver, not the rail? :dunno:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Sweet looking build, but shouldn't the optic be on the receiver, not the rail? :dunno:

I slid it up there in anticipation of a friend bringing his 3x magnifier by for me to try. I'm not aware of any reason an optic of this type can't be mounted anywhere along the receiver or rail. In light of your question, I just attached the optic at the end of the rail up against the front sight. I could shoot it just fine in that configuration, although it's pretty easy to lose the dot inside the optic at that distance if your cheek weld shifts a bit. Same story when set against the rear sight, but the optic really starts eating up your field of view when it's set that close to your eye. With red dots in general, I seem to shoot much better with them mounted out away from my eyes, somewhere at the forward end of the receiver or back end of the rail. Unlike a "regular" scope which has a specific eye relief, red dots are not tightly constrained by this effect.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The reason people mount the optic on the receiver rather than rail is it's less likely to flex when your bearing down on the rifle. You'll still have plenty of room for the magnifier as long as your rear sight is mounted on the furthermost slot towards the butt stock (which it looks like you do). Typically, I mount the optic on the furthermost slot towards the barrel, without it extending over onto the handguard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom