Apple Won't Create 'Backdoor' to Help FBI Access San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And now Apple wants the FBI to reveal how they got into the phone.

FBI can rightfully give them the finger and tell them to pound sand... or a show of good faith and get them in contact with the person that did it. Although, the person that did it may not exactly be a white-hat type of hacker.

Apple wants the FBI to reveal how it hacked the San Bernardino killer's iPhone - LA Times

Apple was within their rights to tell the FBI to **** right the hell off. I guess it's the FBI's turn.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And now Apple wants the FBI to reveal how they got into the phone.

FBI can rightfully give them the finger and tell them to pound sand... or a show of good faith and get them in contact with the person that did it. Although, the person that did it may not exactly be a white-hat type of hacker.

Apple wants the FBI to reveal how it hacked the San Bernardino killer's iPhone - LA Times

Wasn't the Israeli company that cracked it tied to whatever Israels NSA equivalent? Probably the same boat as our NSA, know how to do it, no reason to disclose the vulnerability to anyone.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How's that? That they lack foresight?

I will preface this by saying that I don'r know what discussions were had between Apple and the DOJ before this all went public, but seems a compromise was in order.

Apple should have foreseen that if the DOJ wanted in, it was going to get in. It could be in a way that minimizes security issues for Apple or maximizes them. They chose the latter. By this I mean that he DOJ had the phone hacked and Apple doesn't know how, but the whole world knows it's possible. Tough for Apple to patch the hole quickly which is clearly why they are asking for this information from the DOJ, which the DOJ, as far as I know, has no duty to provide.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that back before this went public, Apple and the DOJ reach a compromise that has Apple extract the information (assuming a warrant) and give it to the DOJ without giving the DOJ any techinical information about how the info was recovered and with Apple making it clear that this is not a waiver of anything or an indication of future cooperation.. All this, confidentially.

I don't know. Something to think about.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I believe that would have worked, the big fuss as I understand it, was that the FBI wanted a skeleton key and a precedent set going forward. My impression was it was never just about this phone.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I believe that would have worked, the big fuss as I understand it, was that the FBI wanted a skeleton key and a precedent set going forward. My impression was it was never just about this phone.

That was why I started with a caveat. I don't know if private talks were ever held. I am assuming they were because that's usually the way it works, but what usually happens may not have happened here.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How's that? That they lack foresight?

I think they lacked foresight too. Similar but exactly not in the same way Hough said. They put their faith in their "unbreakable" technology. With their customers and with public opinion Apple was solidly the winner on that exchange. It makes the public feel their phones are secure. Until the phone was hacked. Now Apple is left with the public wondering.

I think Apple lacked foresight in that they failed to imagine the possibility that the FBI could find someone who could hack into it, and what the public would think then.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think they lacked foresight too. Similar but exactly not in the same way Hough said. They put their faith in their "unbreakable" technology. With their customers and with public opinion Apple was solidly the winner on that exchange. It makes the public feel their phones are secure. Until the phone was hacked. Now Apple is left with the public wondering.

I think Apple lacked foresight in that they failed to imagine the possibility that the FBI could find someone who could hack into it, and what the public would think then.

I think that's lesser of the evils. I'm sure they understood the FBI had other ways but doing what the FBI asked would have been more detrimental than people knowing it just is possible to hack.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Darrell Issa was on a radio show last evening. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about or not, but he made reference to physically deconstructing the phone as the means to how they got out the data. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Nothing is unbreakable or unhackable.
    It is just a matter of time and technology.
    The history of crypto is like any other history. A see-saw of abilities based on changes in technology and changes in the human side.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Everybody is assuming that the feds actually got into the phone and that all this isn't just dc face saving bluster.

Top Bottom