Anyone nervous about going to the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I usually go alone so I keep my eyes open for strangers of anyone acting strange. I'm more worried about people carelessly handling firearms than someone trying to rob or kill me. I'm always wearing a sidearm though, just like everywhere else I go. ;)

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    We go to MCFG and only seldom see someone not following the 4 rules. It is usually a guest or new shooter. Only once were we met with anger at pointing out poor gun handling and that person was removed from the line by an attentive RO.
    Some folks do not like to be called out on their shortcomings..............:rolleyes:

Gee, I sounded just like my last "X" just then.

Wow.... I just knew we were related... :dunno:

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    I usually shoot on private property of my family. But am planning on going to Atterbury soon with a friend. Haven't changed plans at all.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    :rockwoot:

I think we all look around for a minute when an unknown shooter comes to the bench right next to ours.

Once you notice he knows how to handle his guns properly (keeps them pointed down range at all time, finger off the trigger, knows how to reload, clear malfunctions etc) then you can focus on your own shooting.
    And you're not in danger if you turn your back to that person or dont pay any attention to what he's doing.
    If you notice that the shooter his not really safe then you can and should step up to correct him and teach him a few tips.

^^^^THIS^^^^ I feel secure at my range. :yesway:

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    ]
    Its cool; I can totally understand this as I was in almost the same exact situation (never held a gun, etc). Hell, I was downright scared to go to the range and put it off for months. It really, really helps if you have someone experienced, friendly, and patient to go with you. It would've totally been different for me if I went with a jerk. Also, I'm sure the range you go to initially makes a big difference. The first range I went to the range was outdoors, sunny, there was barely anyone there but the people who were were friendly, etc. Everyone (almost) was in your position at some point.

Good luck. Ask someone from the boards to meet you there maybe? I'm sure many people here would be happy to help you. As far as etiquette, just remember the four rules.

/thread derailment

Good suggestion. Will consider it.

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Not in the least. I'm usually alone when I go but always keep an eye out for unsafe practices.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Same here. Ammo costs too much for me to go even practicing like I used to.

Then I remember watching this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPnMbLr5nc[/ame]

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes, have a date with the wife today at POPS indoor, she scares the hell out of me armed or not. I'd rather sandpaper a Bobcats Butt in a telephone booth, than teach her to fire a 9mm Glock, but somebody has to do it. She just applied for her IN LTCH, and what else am I going to do? I wince each time she pulls the trigger and puts a hole in somebody elses target. 9mm is hard to replace right now. So today around 1:30 PM :draw:POPS..............WARNING..............Korean lady with handgun will be there, then off to lunch down the road (Tappenyaki's) for the survivors.:dunno:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If I am at a firing range and I get scanned by someone, I usually pack up and head out. No need to stay there long enough to see if the dipstick is going to shoot me or not. I prefer to fire at well run ranges, like Johnson County Park/Atterbury, where there is someone keeping an eye on the shooters. I do not like to shoot with cowboys trying out their new hellfire triggers on the same range. I'm kind of picky about who I go shooting with.

Im4the2nd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I normally only go to the range by myself our with my fiance. It's an indoor range, so the risk of injury is minimal. It costs more than the free range close to home, but I feel safer at the indoor range.
    Buy low sell high Indyucky:rockwoot:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have usually found people at the range to be polite and interested in firearms.

Yes, there are people that don't practice the 4 rules but I rarely see that.

Yes, you should keep the vehicle locked just like any parking lot.

Yes, you should notice the people around you just like any public place.

No, I am not more concerned at a gun range than anywhere else. Don't let an isolated event (although sad) rob you of the joy you find in doing something you like.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I left an outdoor range last time I was out because the girl/guy couple that had arrived there were trying out their new 357 Smith. They kept flashing the loaded gun around and passing it between one another...you shoot it now - no, you shoot it.

It was very disconcerting. I politely told them to not continue with the manner they were handling the handgun. I then left.

Either of them didn't have a clue what to do or how to do it. No ear protection. Crazy.
    I did not feel safe with them near me. So I left early.

Normally, I watch the folks that are at the range before me and those that come after me. I usually strike up a conversation to get a handle on what they are about and their demeanor. That character check usually puts me, and them, at ease. I have another loaded handgun with me - different from the one I am shooting at the moment...just in case. I do lock my vehicle too.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The chances of being murdered at the Range are only slightly higher than being killed by a piece of falling "Space Junk". I'm more worried about riding my Motorcycle on the roads with Cell Phone users.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    First my posse secures the range and then I get a call and show up in full body armor. Or, I go to ECPR, a well regulated NRA space.
    Aside from the following experience, I've never had a problem.

I showed up this afternoon at the ECPR with my 9mm and my trusty dog Wuss. It was my ninth visit out of a $75 10 visit pass. Guy was right, the covered bunker keeps the rain off. I had my video camera in my back pack, but by the time I noticed the perp in black balaclava (say that fast 5 times) and armor plate, I'd already taken two .50 cal's to the hard drive (that's why no pict's).* I dropped to the ground behind a blue plastic barrel (ask Guy) and drew my well cleaned & oiled ( Hoppes & Hoppes) 9mm Cz 75BD from my OC/CC/ IWB/OWB/pocket padded, leather, vinyl holster. I had chambered a round and decocked the hammer before holstering. That term disconcerts me, as it should most males, but I guess defang would just sound silly. The range was still hot so I was in compliance when I took off the top of her (yes, her) head with 3 shots, the first a slow 8lb DA followed by 2 quick 4lb SA's as is this guns want. This was at about 7 yds, a distance I'm increasingly familiar with. At 10 yds the result would've been the same. The smooth action of the trigger and perfect balance of the weapon noticeably contributes to the accuracy of this pistol. 'Jihad Jane' was no more. And this with 124g fmj range ammo. Must be the paper clips I wound tightly around the bullet tips. I have to admit to some guilty pleasure in this as she had beaten me in an arm wrestle a couple of months earlier, Rock Bottom 86st, and I had run short of my 'calming' medicine. Ask Don.
    The rest of the patrons had scattered behind the cement bunkers and folding tables. I noticed 2 off duty C(onstables)) O(n) P(atrol)s and one former Navy Seal among them. I said nothing (I was too busy typing this and dealing with the fog of war). As the range was still hot, I quickly dropped the mag, checked the chamber, field stripped, cleaned and holstered the weapon, then quietly left the grounds. During the ordeal this one thought kept going through my mind, WWJC (what would Jesus carry?). "A Jericho Desert Eagle, of course" said a voice from behind a burning huckleberry bush. Very freaky, though I've heard these voices before. When I later doubled back, incognito (I'm easily identified by my one squinty eye and round white hat), to clean up my 3 rounds, and retrieve the Mec-Gar mag I'd dropped (them suckers ain't disposable), people were still milling about talking in awed tones about what had gone down earlier and who was that squinty eyed old sailor guy. I said nothing and slipped away into the park. All in all, it was a fun day at the range. Wuss thought so to.

*Made up pictures on request..
    terrorist.jpg

These patrons showed up the next day, Monday, and were turned away by LEO's who informed them that ECPR is open to the public only on the weekends.

terrorschool.jpg

My next foray will be to visit this range. It is open to the public, but you have to find it blind folded.

balaclava,bike,fair,skinned,flowers,girl,punk-a63e0eb50362cf57a44944c0f730c67d_h.jpg

245246209_68791128c3.jpg

Purportedly, pictures of 'Jihad Jane' in happier times.

images

images

Collateral damage. The waifs she leaves behind. Notice, no safety glasses, evidence of poor parenting skills.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There are a couple things that I get a little nervous about at the range, and an intentional shooting isn't one of them.

1) I avoid indoor shooting ranges, because I want to minimize my exposure to lead.

2) Safety lapses. They can happen anywhere, but they seem to be pretty frequent at public ranges during busy days. It's quite frustrating how many times I've been swept or have seen someone waltz beyond the firing line during live fire.

Top Bottom