Anyone nervous about going to the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I must admit, I thought about the incident, but it didn't bother me enough to alter my routine, and my "routine" is anything but for most.

The second Saturday of each month I take part in the training of between 25-45 people in the "First-Shots" program sponsored by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation), and held at Applied Ballistics Systems Inc. in Lafayette.

Since this is a volunteer position, the incentive is purely ideological. I get as much fun out of instructing new shooters as they do at shooting for the first time.

It's a great time for all.

Nervous? No.

Cautious? ALWAYS! ;)

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Anything can happen at any time, living in fear is no way to live, but we can at least be smart to limit our risk, but we can never get rid of any risk entirely. The car ride there is more dangerous. yet people dont think about that. We get up, drive to work not thinking this car ride could be the reason we never see our families again, but we shouldnt live in fear.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I am never uncomfortable going to a range unless there is a police officer there; especially if it is an officer with LAPD. They don't seem too good at following the gun safety rules.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :rockwoot:

I think we all look around for a minute when an unknown shooter comes to the bench right next to ours.

Once you notice he knows how to handle his guns properly (keeps them pointed down range at all time, finger off the trigger, knows how to reload, clear malfunctions etc) then you can focus on your own shooting.
    And you're not in danger if you turn your back to that person or dont pay any attention to what he's doing.
    If you notice that the shooter his not really safe then you can and should step up to correct him and teach him a few tips.

We go to MCFG and only seldom see someone not following the 4 rules. It is usually a guest or new shooter. Only once were we met with anger at pointing out poor gun handling and that person was removed from the line by an attentive RO.
    Some folks do not like to be called out on their shortcomings..............:rolleyes:

Gee, I sounded just like my last "X" just then.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Nope never! Meet nice people out there! I have never encountered anyone I was really "uncomfortable" with. I have been asked this question before though. It is a reasonable question.

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    I have some worry of accidents caused by unsafe gun handling, but not being shot on purpose. The Chris Kyle murders were such a freak incident.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    My personal safety concerns at the range:

1. Driving to the range
    2. Unsafe gun handling by other shooters at the range
    72. Squib round during the back half of a double tap drill
    5273. Getting hit by falling space debris
    10478. Being murdered by someone that I invited to the range

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You're more likely to get shot by accident by someone who will ignore the 4 safety rules than by someone who will want to murder you.

This. Its why I quit going to the Henryville Forestry range. Idjits. Now I have my own property to shoot on, and if there are idjits its my fault for inviting them.

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I was at ASC a few days ago and due to the temps, there were only 2 lanes in use including mine.

I`ve never felt like someone was going to shoot me or others with me while at the range.

If you think about it, anyone at any place can go nuts. Shootings have happened just about everywhere you can think of. Just being out in public puts you at a very, very minute chance of danger.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Well, "yes" and "no".... but mostly "no".....

If Obama isn't there; and Joe Biden isn't there; and Dick Cheney isn't there; and the guy next to me isn't wearing a US Post Office shirt....

..... then I'm cool. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just curious if anyone is worried about their safety at the range since Chris Kyle was tragically murdered by the gentleman he was helping.

I don't know if "worried" is the correct word, but I've definitely been concerned about such things for almost as long as I've been shooting. I am never completely unarmed at the range and I very rarely will share a range or shooting bay with someone I don't know. I'll either wait until they are done or come back later. It's not worth the risk.

Intentional acts of violence may be unlikely, but unless I don't know someone, I don't trust them. I especially don't trust that they comprehend and practice appropriate safety precautions when handling and using firearms.

Even though unlikely, those things do happen. Platt and Mattix of the infamous FBI Miami shootout obtained some of their guns and gear by waiting for people who were target shooting in the evergladesto finish, then attacked them when they were empty and effectively unarmed.

And even though it's fiction, don't forget the scene in "Silverado" when Scott Glenn's character gets attacked after he's emptied his guns while practicing in the desert.

The murder of Chris Kyle was more of a reminder than anything that will change my practices.

I don't understand why people assume that if someone is shooting guns at the range that they're automatically "good people." It's not always true. Sure, the chance of being murdered is unlikely (as it is anywhere else), but other things can happen. Way too many thefts happen at gun ranges because people assume everyone on the premises is an honest, honorable member of society and leave the vehicles unlocked and unattended. In some areas of the country, bad people go to ranges (even during major competitions) to steal from idiots who leave their vehicles unlocked. What's going to happen if you interrupt them?

No, I do not assume that someone is a good person just because they are at a shooting range. They have to prove it to me.

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    Reading this thread makes me nervous. Nervous because I'm new to this whole gun world. Never own, held, or fire a pistol before. I've considered going to a range in the future, not until I get my LTCH, nor until I have completed my Intro into Pistol course in March. Nervous because I don't know a thing about the correct etiquette at the range. Ok, I've watched a couple vids on YouTube. But it's not the same as being there. Nervous because I feel I might make other shooters uncomfortable being that im a total newbie. It would be ok if I go with someone who had the experience to show me what to do. But I don't know anyone. So I'm a little hesitant bout range. I fear my first experience would scar me and I won't want to go back. Which is why I'm reading up on which range to go to, looking for positive reviews. Range that welcome new shooters, willingness to help, sympathize with new shooters because we all started out as newbie at one point.
    Sorry if I took this some what off course with the topic.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Reading this thread makes me nervous. Nervous because I'm new to this whole gun world. Never own, held, or fire a pistol before. I've considered going to a range in the future, not until I get my LTCH, nor until I have completed my Intro into Pistol course in March. Nervous because I don't know a thing about the correct etiquette at the range. Ok, I've watched a couple vids on YouTube. But it's not the same as being there. Nervous because I feel I might make other shooters uncomfortable being that im a total newbie. It would be ok if I go with someone who had the experience to show me what to do. But I don't know anyone. So I'm a little hesitant bout range. I fear my first experience would scar me and I won't want to go back. Which is why I'm reading up on which range to go to, looking for positive reviews. Range that welcome new shooters, willingness to help, sympathize with new shooters because we all started out as newbie at one point.
    Sorry if I took this some what off course with the topic.

Its cool; I can totally understand this as I was in almost the same exact situation (never held a gun, etc). Hell, I was downright scared to go to the range and put it off for months. It really, really helps if you have someone experienced, friendly, and patient to go with you. It would've totally been different for me if I went with a jerk. Also, I'm sure the range you go to initially makes a big difference. The first range I went to the range was outdoors, sunny, there was barely anyone there but the people who were were friendly, etc. Everyone (almost) was in your position at some point.

Good luck. Ask someone from the boards to meet you there maybe? I'm sure many people here would be happy to help you. As far as etiquette, just remember the four rules.

/thread derailment

Top Bottom