• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    whatever you do with online wallets or exchanges setup two-factor authentication. They claim using a google authenticator app on your phone is much safer than a "text me a pin" setups. This is a rotating set of keys that you setup on your phone that links with the website so only your phone and their website knows what key is active at a specific time. That way no one can spoof your phone number and get your PINs. They'd have to physically have your phone I guess.
    This goes for more than just exchanges. You should secure your bank accounts, e-mail accounts, and store accounts with 2FA if possible. Makes it MUCH harder for a criminal to get into your accounts. The Google Authenticator will work with most time based 2FA providers. The most notable exception is paypal. To use a real 2FA token with it and not an SMS messages (which is still considerably better than no 2FA) you have to use the Symantec VIP app and follow some third party instructions.

In short, turn on two factor authentication and use a good pass phrase = greatly reduced chance a criminal will gain access to your accounts.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Bytecoin? You put ALL of your LTC into that one coin? I don't know anything about it, to have an opinion, just asking if you went all in.

Only had 1.42 left. I M essentially out of LTC and in sub dollar ones except ripple. I only had LTC at first. May buy back into it later.

i am looking for high trading volume and market cap with low price and recent surge, coin at max historic. Thinking it means there is a lot of interest in it

i went from owning like 9.5 LTC to owning 67,000 coins. Hoping for a pop or two. Already doubled my money on verge in 23 hours. Ripple was my biggest buy and it's flat of course. Dang high priced coins! :rofl:

update: oops. I missed by a factor of 10 on a buy of a BCN. Crap. It was up 10% from where I bought and I made $6. Just put an order through for another 93,000 coins. I thought I was hot stuff and then the bid right below mine was to buy 1.15 million of them. Woah.

Last edited:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    i am up $40 on half a litecoin! :rockwoot:

I won't tell you how my others are doing :D

but in the last hour and nine minutes I mined 0.000079425386 monero, so I'm still winning.

"dad, when will we need to know the then millionth decimal place?

Son, some day there will be fake money on the internet and all those decimal places will suddenly be worth something."

someone needs a meme of the old-timey dad telling his son that

Done.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I need everyone to gather around Christmas dinner and brag about their crypto gains. Dazzle their friends. Then their friends take their christmas bonus and buy every coin that I own :D

I now own 185,000 coins. Much better upside potential than the 11 LTC I owned 36 hours ago IMO. Lucky shooter, lucky shooter, keep on rolling!

I downloaded an app "coin stats" that will track your positions for you in one handy place. Problem is it's based in USD and my purchases were in BTC. I went back to calculate what my USD basis is but my exchange account values it based on BTC so the two don't match. So freaking confusing.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Bytecoin? You put ALL of your LTC into that one coin? I don't know anything about it, to have an opinion, just asking if you went all in.

Litecoin is $7 higher now than when I sold it for $285. That's like 2.4%. XDN is up 115%, XVG is up 94%.

I'm getting into my manic mode over the stuff :runaway:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Focus on the cheap ones. Don't buy hundreds buy thousands! You only need 1 of them to hit. Even better if you pull off more than one. You are at the right place at the right time my friend!!!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    bit of a retraction now. I've been invested for 40 hours, why am I not retired yet? :xmad:

what's the best way to get alt coins back into USD and in your hand?

also, with these being traded 24h with no break the "% up/down" is misleading. It shows a trailing 24h right? So it can go from being "up 100%" to "up 80%" and still be higher than when it was "up 100%" depending on the price history, correct?

If you are interested in learning more about GPU (Graphics processing unit) mining of crypto this guy's youtube videos seem fantastic. I'll post updates on my mining progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPX864SOUPE

1:03a - Could not be happier with XDN - Digital Note. Around 4pm 12/22 I bought $541 worth, now it's worth $1474.

Guys, get your chips on the roulette board :D (until it all comes crashing down and I ask mods to delete this post)

update: literally 15 minutes after I post about XDN it tanks about 30% :rofl:

Update again: I think the price may be posting incorrectly. It may actually still be up nicely. Various exchanges are reporting the value about 40% different. Hrm.

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    bit of a retraction now. I've been invested for 40 hours, why am I not retired yet? :xmad:

what's the best way to get alt coins back into USD and in your hand?

also, with these being traded 24h with no break the "% up/down" is misleading. It shows a trailing 24h right? So it can go from being "up 100%" to "up 80%" and still be higher than when it was "up 100%" depending on the price history, correct?

If you are interested in learning more about GPU (Graphics processing unit) mining of crypto this guy's youtube videos seem fantastic. I'll post updates on my mining progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPX864SOUPE

1:03a - Could not be happier with XDN - Digital Note. Around 4pm 12/22 I bought $541 worth, now it's worth $1474.

Guys, get your chips on the roulette board :D (until it all comes crashing down and I ask mods to delete this post)

update: literally 15 minutes after I post about XDN it tanks about 30% :rofl:

Update again: I think the price may be posting incorrectly. It may actually still be up nicely. Various exchanges are reporting the value about 40% different. Hrm.

Yeah, looks like it went from less than a penny to 3 pennies.......that's a nice ROI anyway you slice it!

I got an account set up with Coinbase. Now they want my credit card number.....is that normal? They sent an email saying my bank limit is $10,000 and credit/debit is $750. Does that mean I can buy $750 using CC or $10K if I use bank transfer? Why do they limit me? Should I buy into Coinbase by purchasing Bitcoin?....then how do I get XDN or XRP or LTC?

This stuff is so confusing to me. Slowly but surely I am trying to learn.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Sucker-BitCoin.png

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

Dangit Alpo. Just as I get brave(stupid) along comes you and your voice of reason. I have some stocks that owe me divy's this week. I was thinking of investing my dividends on this roulette wheel instead of dripping them. I was not going in for long term deal, just swing trades....but I am concerned fees will eat me up with small amount. May need more investment to make it work.

It seems very hard to figure out the exchange rates, fees, etc. I think they take 3-4% for me just depositing cash to account, not to mention buying, selling, exchange fees. Then there is fraud, lost codes, cold storage, manipulation...it sure isn't like the stocks and options I play around with. Lots of decimals and different quotes. The only thing the same is momentum....you never try to turn the momentum and when you have irrational exuberance and momentum....it is hard to ignore, especially since it is still in infancy. I don't really see a long term viability...but I said that about the internet as well.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah, looks like it went from less than a penny to 3 pennies.......that's a nice ROI anyway you slice it!

I got an account set up with Coinbase. Now they want my credit card number.....is that normal? They sent an email saying my bank limit is $10,000 and credit/debit is $750. Does that mean I can buy $750 using CC or $10K if I use bank transfer? Why do they limit me? Should I buy into Coinbase by purchasing Bitcoin?....then how do I get XDN or XRP or LTC?

you have to choose one of their coins to buy into, on coinbase. Look at fees to transfer, supposedly ethereum has cheaper fees. If you do bitcoin it will take longer to confirm the transactions and move everything. for trading the alt-coins you need an account on an exchange, like hitbtc or bittrix. In the exchnage account you create a "wallet" and copy the "deposit" address. Then go to coinbase and tell it to transfer the coin you own.Paste the exchange wallet address in and poof, it should transfer over. But on the exchange you may not be able to directly convert LTC or ETH into what you really want. I had to sell my LTC first then buy what I Wanted. I think hitbtc allows LTC/XRP and some exchanging but I couldn't figure it out so I just sold and rebought.

With coinbase the bank transfer fee is much less than funding with CC I think. Pretty sure they limit you on funding to avoid money laundering and fraud from their customers, and probably to make it easier for patriot act or dodd-frank or whatever requires $10k USD transaction reporting, but i could be wrong

This stuff is so confusing to me. Slowly but surely I am trying to learn.

me too man! It's fun and exciting though, for now...

I nearly impulse bought two graphics cards at 5am for miinng, but I Told myself I wasn't going to buy more until I got my rig up and running and confirmed profits

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Randy: There are extraordinarily bright people eating, living and breathing crypto's 24/7/365 and have been doing it for YEARS. The little guys get killed in the long run because they can't react as fast as the pro's and don't have access to all the info they need like the pro's.

If you are going to dabble with "throwaway" money, whatthehell. You could have wasted it otherwise and maybe there is an upside. But it is a rare individual that doesn't stay too long in something or invest too much in it. Greed is worse than other drives at times.

Think of it as musical chairs...without any chairs. Eventually the music is going to stop and there ain't going to be anyplace to sit.

And a word on the pro's: Some of the largest Wall Street disasters have been created by "pro's" getting in to deep and chasing bets on foreign currency and other derivatives.

Cryptocurrency is a derivative. Remember that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    you can place limit orders so you don't have to sit there all the time if there's a set price you want to make a move at.

alpo, crypto is here to stay. The value remains to be seen. I think a lot of the alt-cioins will vanish to nothingness,but probably at least 10 will be permanent, more like 40-50 world-wide

BTC is currently about 44% of the entire crypto market. Wow. The trend right now seems to be trying to guess the alt-coin that's going to pop.

https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

sort that by largest % gain in last hour and look at their market caps. The POKECOIN (pokemon) is leading right now :rofl: Is that really going to exist as a viable currency? who knows. Or tittiecoin :D
    looking at that chart I'd gamble on MINT and HMQ. decent market caps,decent traded volume, cheap, recent large moves :twocents:

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Doc: I'm sure derivatives are here to stay. Back in the 80's and 90's (in another life) my company invested in a forward exchange contracts to protect overseas operating profits. It was a legitimate management tool. But you also have the other end of things: the speculators. They are there to make money off of money (generally other people's money at that). Without regulation, you end up with meltdowns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trading_losses

I can't tell you how many people I know who made money in the tech bubble in the 90's who felt they could do no wrong....that ended up with little to show for it 10 years later.

Be careful.

Don't quit your day job.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    oh i agree this is pure speculation for most of us. I'm old enough to remember the tech bubble, when profits didn't matter. Now we have an investment where assets don't matter :rofl:

these will be gaining steem though (see what I did there?). By mining I hope to continue buying in over time with limited of my own $$

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Randy: There are extraordinarily bright people eating, living and breathing crypto's 24/7/365 and have been doing it for YEARS. The little guys get killed in the long run because they can't react as fast as the pro's and don't have access to all the info they need like the pro's.

If you are going to dabble with "throwaway" money, whatthehell. You could have wasted it otherwise and maybe there is an upside. But it is a rare individual that doesn't stay too long in something or invest too much in it. Greed is worse than other drives at times.

Think of it as musical chairs...without any chairs. Eventually the music is going to stop and there ain't going to be anyplace to sit.

And a word on the pro's: Some of the largest Wall Street disasters have been created by "pro's" getting in to deep and chasing bets on foreign currency and other derivatives.

Cryptocurrency is a derivative. Remember that.

There aren't any "pros" in crypto. There are people that are more seasoned than others, but certainly no one who is some sort of guru who can regularly predict how the market will unfold. There's simply too much volatility in the space.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    you can place limit orders so you don't have to sit there all the time if there's a set price you want to make a move at.

alpo, crypto is here to stay. The value remains to be seen. I think a lot of the alt-cioins will vanish to nothingness,but probably at least 10 will be permanent, more like 40-50 world-wide

BTC is currently about 44% of the entire crypto market. Wow. The trend right now seems to be trying to guess the alt-coin that's going to pop.

https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

sort that by largest % gain in last hour and look at their market caps. The POKECOIN (pokemon) is leading right now :rofl: Is that really going to exist as a viable currency? who knows. Or tittiecoin :D
    looking at that chart I'd gamble on MINT and HMQ. decent market caps,decent traded volume, cheap, recent large moves :twocents:

Doc, do you know where the first widespread, legitimate use of electronic (non-centralized) currency started?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    That isn't what a "Pro" is. Traders who spend full time in the market, analysts who spend full time with market info and data, investors who spend full time...

...see the common theme? Full time.

I know you're not a pro because you spend a lot of time on INGO. :) ...and I mean that in the nicest way....LOLOLOL

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom