Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't think I ever said anything about hating the RIAs. I have an RIA and have always said I love the thing. But, I've compared it to my Ed Brown and I can see where the money is spent on the Ed Brown over the RIA. Maybe I'm misunderstanding where this thread has gone, but I did not think it was about knocking the entry level 1911s but more about why the high end 1911s cost as much as they do.

I'd love to do a 1911 shoot with you guys. I swear, if you closed your eyes and felt the trigger on the RIA, you would have a hard time telling it from the Colt, Sig or Ed Brown. If you can, I'll buy the first round of beer. If you cannot, first round is on you. Seriously, we should do a 1911 shoot one of these days. I'm thinking I have mine tuned pretty well but would love to be schooled by someone that really knows there way around a 1911 sear.

PS: I'll even bring the one with the mammoth ivory grips, but you are on your own for the scrotum holster.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can't believe how many people hate Philippino 1911's I think most that hate them have never shot one. If they have they've probably shot one that hasn't been maintained. Or was hacked with a bubba trigger job. I'd love to have a Ed Brown. I just can't justify it. I can afford it but I would learn nothing if I bought one.

I have added what I like to my "cheapy" I have shot the crap out of it. I expect something will fail. When it does I'll do what Philbert001 did. I'll replace the parts with better. I won't pitch it till the frame to slide fit is shot or I bust the frame. I just stripped the gun down for a through cleaning. Slide to frame fit is awesome. No Peening on the frame from the slide. Other then finish wear the gun is still good to go. Over 20k rounds and still going strong. I need to have the frame and slide refinish. The 4 years of holster wear is showing. I love the old gun. I might buy a Ed Brown some day but I will feel bad when the finish wears off my 3k_ gun. I don't feel bad about the wear on my cheapy.

Rock on with your 1911 Phil! :ar15:We'll get together this summer and have a shoot out!

Just to clarify...no hate here. I see enough of these that are truly turds that the good ones may not garner appreciation from me. In the reality of things the island made pieces have in the past produced some serious turds. I do understand that they have improved the product significantly of late.
    Again, no hate just not impressed to the point I will own one. I have worked my tail off my whole life and I try to improve with my learning curve. Motorcycles/cars and guns are all part of the curve. Like others who have posted in this thread I will look for a certain gun, find the one I like (fit/finish/trigger etc.) shoot it for a bit and then dissect it completely. I have made my share of mistakes along the way so I am fully aware as I start to make more. The end result is a group of hand guns and long guns that I seriously love. The level of enjoyment I get from them can not be matched with any entry level 1911/AR/or bolt gun.
    That said I still do not own any 2K 1911's. Do not need one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't think I ever said anything about hating the RIAs. I have an RIA and have always said I love the thing. But, I've compared it to my Ed Brown and I can see where the money is spent on the Ed Brown over the RIA. Maybe I'm misunderstanding where this thread has gone, but I did not think it was about knocking the entry level 1911s but more about why the high end 1911s cost as much as they do.

I'd love to do a 1911 shoot with you guys. I swear, if you closed your eyes and felt the trigger on the RIA, you would have a hard time telling it from the Colt, Sig or Ed Brown. If you can, I'll buy the first round of beer. If you cannot, first round is on you. Seriously, we should do a 1911 shoot one of these days. I'm thinking I have mine tuned pretty well but would love to be schooled by someone that really knows there way around a 1911 sear.

I am in. Maybe we can get together when the weather breaks and make fun of each others guns.......:):

I know my way around a sear I am just not to sure what the hell to do with it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good grief....I am not touching anything that is scrotum related unless it is mine and i am not making a holster out of mine......unless there is a 7 figure amount involved.

I hate to admit I have mammoth ivory grips on one of them but I am not letting that thing near anyone's scrotum, holster or not.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just to clarify...no hate here. I see enough of these that are truly turds that the good ones may not garner appreciation from me. In the reality of things the island made pieces have in the past produced some serious turds. I do understand that they have improved the product significantly of late.
    Again, no hate just not impressed to the point I will own one. I have worked my tail off my whole life and I try to improve with my learning curve. Motorcycles/cars and guns are all part of the curve. Like others who have posted in this thread I will look for a certain gun, find the one I like (fit/finish/trigger etc.) shoot it for a bit and then dissect it completely. I have made my share of mistakes along the way so I am fully aware as I start to make more. The end result is a group of hand guns and long guns that I seriously love. The level of enjoyment I get from them can not be matched with any entry level 1911/AR/or bolt gun.
    That said I still do not own any 2K 1911's. Do not need one.

Speaking of future mistakes, I just ordered a 30lpi checkering file and jig, so there will be plenty of learning to be done from plenty of mistakes to be made. You guys just need to promise not to laugh too hard at my first attempts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Speaking of future mistakes, I just ordered a 30lpi checkering file and jig, so there will be plenty of learning to be done from plenty of mistakes to be made. You guys just need to promise not to laugh too hard at my first attempts.

If you are brave enough to try that I will be gracious enough not to laugh.....much.....:)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That does look nice. My biggest concern is that I'll end up with unintentional skip line checkering. I may invent my own checkering style called cattywhompus lines in all direction checkering. Or, maybe something called chainsaw checkering pattern after what it looks like it will have been done with.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    That does look nice. My biggest concern is that I'll end up with unintentional skip line checkering. I may invent my own checkering style called cattywhompus lines in all direction checkering. Or, maybe something called chainsaw checkering pattern after what it looks like it will have been done with.
    Maybe practice on a piece of bar stock? Please!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Better get on this. I have a couple jobs waiting on you to get good at this.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County

PS: I'll even bring the one with the mammoth ivory grips, but you are on your own for the scrotum holster.
    I didn't mean to come off as if you were a hater of affordable 1911's at all. I was agreeing with your statement, and may have lost something in translation! I agree with you on the RIA triggers. I imagine it"s pretty good, as is my ATI. I think they are better than the price gives them credit for, simply because they ARE hand fitted, as opposed to colt, Springer, etc., who have machines fitting their parts! I think if the right 12 year old Phillipino kid assembles your pistol, you'll have a great start! Lose all the MIM parts, and you have a hand fitted pistol, with good components! (As long as you can look past the cast frame and slide!)

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't mean to come off as if you were a hater of affordable 1911's at all. I was agreeing with your statement, and may have lost something in translation! I agree with you on the RIA triggers. I imagine it"s pretty good, as is my ATI. I think they are better than the price gives them credit for, simply because they ARE hand fitted, as opposed to colt, Springer, etc., who have machines fitting their parts! I think if the right 12 year old Phillipino kid assembles your pistol, you'll have a great start! Lose all the MIM parts, and you have a hand fitted pistol, with good components! (As long as you can look past the cast frame and slide!)
    It's the tiny hands, better for precision work.

Top Bottom