Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Father shoots a $750 Springfield range officer. After you spend maybe 50 to get a decent trigger job it is a very nice gun and goes to your point that very nice 1911's can be had for well below 1500.

I'm lucky and have a Les Baer Premier 2 (about 1900 now I think if you shop around). The extra money takes you to a whole nuther level of tight tolerances and quality components, downsides are that break in takes a bit longer, if you want to play with different components (I went to a flat trigger recently and have played with different mainspring housings & etc) it seems like fitting is always more of a pain than it should be, and I don't know that I will ever be able to work on the gun without using the bushing wrench. Whether paying beyond $1500 for a better built gun was "flushing money down the toilet" or not is up to the individual I guess, personally I would buy the same gun again.

Exactly. My Springers all run very well and group right with my ability's.
    The bushing wrench issue can be rectified but I run them tight as well. It will help accuracy if you have the skills to push the gun.
    I do not see money spent on something you desire as a waste if you have the discretionary funds. $1500 will get you into a nice 1911. This is my self imposed ceiling on spending. Springer TRP and a TRophy Match under my spending cap. Both are perfect for my needs.
    Do I want a Wilson/Brown/Baere....well of course I do. Do I need one to improve my skills....No....but I still want one.....:)

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Agreed! I intend to build my next one from scratch, and KNOW I'll be close to Wilson money by the time I buy all the tooling I don't already have, but the next one will be cheap! (Like lays chips! Ya can't just build one!)

Don't get me wrong, the high end 1911's make me salivate, same as anyone else, but I won't be droppin that kind of cash on a gun until I get these four kids out of the house! Plus, you pay for perfect, then you don't get to tinker and tune!

There ya go, you just get to shoot, not tinker. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There ya go, you just get to shoot, not tinker. :)

Where's the fun in that? Last week, I was just about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a Wilson Combat. After learning that you could drop $500 for a deposit and save the rest over the 30ish month wait, I built a config I liked and was going to give them a call but decided to wait a day. After thinking about it, I started to wonder why I would do that. It's not that I did not think the gun worth the $4k it would have cost, but what role would it play in my collection. When I look at the 1911s I own, I find that my favorites are the ones that I've had a hand in the build process. I love my Ed Brown and it's become one of my favorite carry guns, but I get little satisfaction out of shooting it. Sure, it's fun to shoot, but I'm enjoying the results of someone else's skill, not of my own. My favorite 1911 shooters right now are my Remington R1S and Colt Delta Elite. Both were Ok out of the box, but both are better for work I've done to them. When I shoot them, I'm enjoying the results of my work, not of work done by others. In the end, I decided that my Ed Brown is enough right now and that I like building better than buying even if the end result falls short of what I can buy.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Where's the fun in that? Last week, I was just about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a Wilson Combat. After learning that you could drop $500 for a deposit and save the rest over the 30ish month wait, I built a config I liked and was going to give them a call but decided to wait a day. After thinking about it, I started to wonder why I would do that. It's not that I did not think the gun worth the $4k it would have cost, but what role would it play in my collection. When I look at the 1911s I own, I find that my favorites are the ones that I've had a hand in the build process. I love my Ed Brown and it's become one of my favorite carry guns, but I get little satisfaction out of shooting it. Sure, it's fun to shoot, but I'm enjoying the results of someone else's skill, not of my own. My favorite 1911 shooters right now are my Remington R1S and Colt Delta Elite. Both were Ok out of the box, but both are better for work I've done to them. When I shoot them, I'm enjoying the results of my work, not of work done by others. In the end, I decided that my Ed Brown is enough right now and that I like building better than buying even if the end result falls short of what I can buy.

I've had almost 40 years of fun making inferior 1911's work. Time to play now. You can also order from Gunslingers on lay away at a cheaper cost. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've had almost 40 years of fun making inferior 1911's work. Time to play now. You can also order from Gunslingers on lay away at a cheaper cost. :)

I can understand that. I've got a ways to go before I get to that point. Still having too much fun tweaking them right now.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I have nowhere near the collection you do, but if I did, I imagine I'd see it the same way!

Any time I have guests out to my range, I enjoy coaching and helping far more than I do shooting! I also enjoy building/tinkering more than shooting! Shooting the project gun is simply the payoff, and it fades quickly, as I always find myself another project gun rather quickly!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Why does it have to be, "Inferior"? How about, "Just not quite there." I look at EVERYTHING as a project! Like an 80% 1911, if you will! I didn't own or build an AR15 until last year. Just didn't think I needed one in my collection. Now, I'm on my 4th build, and am hooked, because it's a platform that can readily be changed, tuned, and tinkered with!
    Perhaps when I am older, and my disposable time and funds allow, maybe I WILL see things your way! However, I hope I'll remember being poor and motivated, and It'll keep me from crapping on other people's stuff!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ain't much difference between a 'Vette and a Chevette that replacing most of the parts with upgrades one at a time won't fix, eh?
    'Course after your done, then you still just have a fixed all up Chevette. (That prolly won't really run worth a crap, when pushed hard for more than a minute or two at a time.) ;)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Ain't much difference between a 'Vette and a Chevette that replacing most of the parts with upgrades one at a time won't fix, eh?
    'Course after your done, then you still just have a fixed all up Chevette. (That prolly won't really run worth a crap, when pushed hard for more than a minute or two at a time.) ;)
    Apples and oranges friend! A more fitting analogy would be a 69 Camaro, straight 6, VS a 69 camaro SS396! Same platform, but one will cost a ton, right outa the gate, and the other can be built, a piece at a time, if need be, and will perform just as well, if not better!

You're comparing a Jennings .22, to a high end 1911, and that's clearly not the case!

Perhaps YOUR skill will net you a Chevette...

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Often claimed, seldom proven, my friend.
    A factory SS396 can be easily outbuilt. (Ask me how I know!)
    377972_547864035252929_1237315632_n.jpg

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Why does it have to be, "Inferior"? How about, "Just not quite there." I look at EVERYTHING as a project! Like an 80% 1911, if you will! I didn't own or build an AR15 until last year. Just didn't think I needed one in my collection. Now, I'm on my 4th build, and am hooked, because it's a platform that can readily be changed, tuned, and tinkered with!
    Perhaps when I am older, and my disposable time and funds allow, maybe I WILL see things your way! However, I hope I'll remember being poor and motivated, and It'll keep me from crapping on other people's stuff!

Ok, you're just not quite there. :laugh:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I was referring to 1911's, but your car is pretty. Got some race track results to show us?
    Lol! I know, but couldn't help myself!
    No time sheets yet. Just finishing up paintwork. (468 MK IV bigblock says it won't be a problem!) Crank HP is just over 600, TQ just under 700. Long as she hooks, she'll smoke the aforementioned Vette! (Che' or Cor' varieties!)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lol! I know, but couldn't help myself!
    No time sheets yet. Just finishing up paintwork. (468 MK IV bigblock says it won't be a problem!) Crank HP is just over 600, TQ just under 700. Long as she hooks, she'll smoke the aforementioned Vette! (Che' or Cor' varieties!)

Gotcha! :yesway:
    Just be sure and let us know the results.
    The same with how many matches your finished 1911 wins.
    Good luck!

Top Bottom