Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Tape is OK, this is better: 1911 AUTO CHECKERED FRONT STRAP | Brownells
    p_965100001_1.jpg

Once you've shot much with real 20LPI checkering, it's difficult to be content with anything else. :twocents:
    That's awesome! And for $10, as long as it doesn't try to slide around, it sounds like a winner!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Tape is OK, this is better: 1911 AUTO CHECKERED FRONT STRAP | Brownells
    p_965100001_1.jpg

Once you've shot much with real 20LPI checkering, it's difficult to be content with anything else. :twocents:

I have one of these on my Remington R1S right now. It does not move at all. You can make it permanent by bonding it with something, but I am planning on checkering eventually and did not go that route. I used to have one that I cut down to fit my Kimber but it was eating up the finish so I went with a bit of rubber Talon grip tape instead. But, for an inexpensive way to add texture to the front strap that's totally removable, these are hard to beat. They feel better than skateboard tape to me.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have one of these on my Remington R1S right now. It does not move at all.

Mine has moved, but it was after a long weekend of matches and practice in the heat of summer.
    (Did anyone mention that match testing one's gun is mandatory to assure reliability?)
    I cannot recall whether I used a drop of superglue, re-positioned the checkered sleeve and locktighted the grip screws or both?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Mine has moved, but it was after a long weekend of matches and practice in the heat of summer.
    (Did anyone mention that match testing one's gun is mandatory to assure reliability?)
    I cannot recall whether I used a drop of superglue, re-positioned the checkered sleeve and locktighted the grip screws or both?

When you installed it, did you bend the tabs to grab the frame opening? I think bending the tabs to lock it in place is one of the things that helps mine stay put. Then again, I've not run it as hard as you were running yours when it moved, so it's just a guess on my part.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When you installed it, did you bend the tabs to grab the frame opening? I think bending the tabs to lock it in place is one of the things that helps mine stay put. Then again, I've not run it as hard as you were running yours when it moved, so it's just a guess on my part.

Yes I did. Another contributing factor could be the slimline grips that I run. Less grip screw threads and scale leverage on the checkered sleeve.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I did. He said......but Dad, you love to work on these.
    My kids think I can fix anything.....:dunno:

If your kids think you can fix anything, you are doing something right as a Dad! I sure remember what it was like to manage a budget back when we were first getting started. Every dollar counts. He's lucky to have a Dad that can make the gun right for him. A lot of folks don't have that.

Top Bottom