Anybody else tire of seeing a good thread get ruined by the OC/CC debate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Well?

• Total voters

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I voted on this topic earlier this morning, but then forgot to post! I voted, as any of you that know me, or watch my posts, as "I am Pro carry. Period."

Personally for me it has been a 50/50 thing... now with my recent experiences with the MCSD, I may be making a change to more like 80% OC, just to educate the uninformed deputies of my county.

I don't care how you carry, I don't even care why you carry the way you do, my only concern is that you carry safely! Beyond that the whole OC/CC debate is exausting, I mean really people there are pros and cons to both methods, get over it!!!

To those that think that I do it to look big and tough, no offense intended here but I'm already 6'7", 350# with shoulders that are over 27" wide and a 55"+ chest... I already look big and tough! On top of that now that I am actually beginning to get in better shape more of that weight is muscle, instead of McDonalds.

I OC because it is my RIGHT and there is nothing wrong, let me repeat that for clarity: There is NOTHING WRONG with open carrying! I have had quite a few comments made to me by people thanking me for carrying.

So in closing, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH OC, OR CC, it is a personal choice! Make your choice and move on.

Thank you all and good day! :patriot:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    We tried that and she just said if it's my time then so be it. No thought of if it was the BG's time it was his time.

I told my GF that she was just making it worse by putting her friend in a defensive position. It is a really weird situation because her friend LOVES i mean jumping up and down clapping at the thought of going shooting. :n00b:
    I think your friend is exactly the type of person I described earlier. She loves shooting but morally cannot deal with the thought of killing someone no matter what the situation is. Some people just don't have the defensive "bone" in their body.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I think your friend is exactly the type of person I described earlier. She loves shooting but morally cannot deal with the thought of killing someone no matter what the situation is. Some people just don't have the defensive "bone" in their body.

There are some people that are like that. Will let anyone just roll right over them and never put up a fight, even to save their own life. Some change after they have a child and realize that they have to protect another life, and yet some still don't "get" it. As pointed out, the hardest part is getting to the root of why they believe self defense is a bad thing. There are tons of reasons for it, and every one of them has to be treated differently. There is a way to turn someone around, it just takes time and effort. Like moving a mountain.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would argue that almost everyone will overcome that mental hump of defending oneself, when pushed hard enough...

Fear of Life is a great motivator for some...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hopefully, I'll get it up by the weekend.

Good luck, brother.

I just have to point out that the results of this poll would be different if the OP had been OCing when he posted it. People would have seen the gun and either voted OC in a 'peer pressure' or 'group dynamics' type of reaction or due to the horror of seeing a man with a gun. Unless a young girl came along.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I would argue that almost everyone will overcome that mental hump of defending oneself, when pushed hard enough...

I certainly agree, but not everyone is capable of accurately theorizing what they will do in situations they've never encountered.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I only carry concealed. Obviously anyone that does something different is wrong. :D

Both are legal. I don't know why I should care whether someone OCs or CCs. I am much more upset by fellow fat guys that think they look good wearing shorts in public... I know we sweat but think of others...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Yeah, I think the whole "moral" argument is a cover for fear and ignorance. It also makes it extremely easy to pass the buck of personal responsibility and wash one's hands of the whole thing. "Hey, not my problem."

I understand there are some people who live a life that eschews violence at all levels. Most American women aren't in that group.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I only carry concealed. Obviously anyone that does something different is wrong. :D

Both are legal. I don't know why I should care whether someone OCs or CCs. I am much more upset by fellow fat guys that think they look good wearing shorts in public... I know we sweat but think of others...
    I see "That Guy" has finally arrived. :laugh:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yeah, I think the whole "moral" argument is a cover for fear and ignorance. It also makes it extremely easy to pass the buck of personal responsibility and wash one's hands of the whole thing. "Hey, not my problem."

I understand there are some people who live a life that eschews violence at all levels. Most American women aren't in that group.

I understand your premise, but to help the cause following this train of thought is somewhat irresponsible. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I simply mean that just because one is an American doesn't mean that their morals are the same as yours.

Morals; being that of an ethical foundation derived from personal beliefs and often religion whereas "ethics" can generally be commonly agreed upon as an acceptable difference between right and wrong.

So, you cannot assume to know someone's morals. That is their personal belief which another cannot control. They are often derived from various religious backgrounds. There are those who would gladly die rather than fight in the belief that "that is what god wants," or something to that effect. You cannot simply apply a blanket "black and white" logic to matters like these. That will do more harm in a debate than good, especially when it involves morals (individual beliefs of right and wrong.) Because, morals and personal beliefs are often deep rooted in pashionate feelings and can easily take a topic off track and even become hostile (that's how wars start over religious beliefs.)

The best thing one can do is present facts, scenarios, etc. in an effort to "troubleshoot" and learn the nature of the person's reasoning, their beliefs, morals, and where they all come from. Simply believing that since they are an American that they should share in certain beliefs is unethical and again "irresponsible" because you will in return, believe it is their duty to change their opinion and you will push too hard for that. Thus, making you no better than the common "gun grabber."

One shouldn't "expect" them to change their morals/personal beliefs or force it. It is better to better educate them on realistic possibilities and help teach them how they can come to a reasonable agreement which satisfies both their safety and their morals. It's important to keep in mind that that may not always involve a firearm, but rather a baton, OC spray, martial arts, etc. because you can't assume their morals are the same as yours. How would anyone here like it if I was trying to force you to follow Hinuism, Buddhism, etc.? You wouldn't. So how is it ok for us to try to force others to alter their morals and follow ours? It isn't.

I apologize for the length but I hope that all came across as intended.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I wear boxers and am against any male who goes commando! It chafes!

Nope, disagree. Boxers?? What's the point of wearing shorts under your pants!:D

See, this thread did not turn into a CC vs OC debate. It did, however, turn into an underwear/non-underwear debate!:laugh:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nope, disagree. Boxers?? What's the point of wearing shorts under your pants!:D

See, this thread did not turn into a CC vs OC debate. It did, however, turn into an underwear/non-underwear debate!:laugh:
    I'm just waiting for someone to show up saying that they OC their underwear.

Top Bottom