• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Not tue totaly. small differences in Uniform and credentials are deferent, reserve is spelled out. No police powers whatso ever when not on duty. Speaking for Carroll Co. Suppose there could be some diff in other counties maybe.

Fuzzy grey area. Up here, reserve deputies are basically told that if they're off the clock, they're not to act as LEOs. On the other hand, a sworn officer is a sworn officer. Their uniforms are no different than merit deputies, their their issued credentials are the same - unless you knew the county you'd have no idea if someone was a merit or reserve deputy..

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    No its not, Can you show where it wrong? I know a lot of other reserves who would like to know this. Maybe something has changed.

Here are the requirements:

1. an employee of a governmental agency,
    2. be authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law,
    3. have statutory powers of arrest,
    4. be authorized by the agency to carry a firearm,
    5. not be the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency (which could result in suspension or loss of police powers), and
    6. meet standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm.
    As long as you meet those requirements you are covered, reserve or full-time. If you work for a department that doesn't allow police powers off-duty, I'm not sure what the answer would be. I believe those departments are rare though.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    No this is not rare! I do not know of one Reserve unit that is not like this, it is a very gray area since many in the community know of you working as law enforcement. You have no powers off duty tho, I am sur it all goes back to lawyers and department liabilty. Stop and think about it, if this wasnt the case then why would we need a academy? No departments would be spending the time or money to send people! Number 2 in your list is what eliminates reserves, only have powers why officially on Duty! Trust me I am not against this, strongly feel Reserves should be covered as well, this is a conversation that has been had with powers to be several times!

Here are the requirements:

1. an employee of a governmental agency,
    2. be authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law,
    3. have statutory powers of arrest,
    4. be authorized by the agency to carry a firearm,
    5. not be the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency (which could result in suspension or loss of police powers), and
    6. meet standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm.
    As long as you meet those requirements you are covered, reserve or full-time. If you work for a department that doesn't allow police powers off-duty, I'm not sure what the answer would be. I believe those departments are rare though.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    No this is not rare! I do not know of one Reserve unit that is not like this, it is a very gray area since many in the community know of you working as law enforcement. You have no powers off duty tho, I am sur it all goes back to lawyers and department liabilty. Stop and think about it, if this wasnt the case then why would we need a academy? No departments would be spending the time or money to send people! Number 2 in your list is what eliminates reserves, only have powers why officially on Duty! Trust me I am not against this, strongly feel Reserves should be covered as well, this is a conversation that has been had with powers to be several times!

That's interesting, I only know of one department that does NOT grant police powers off-duty to reserve officers. It must be different by region. So, for the departments that allow police powers off-duty to reserves, they would be covered under LEOSA.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I know several reserves in several counties in my area. Department policy typically dictates that these folks are not to use police powers off-the-clock, though I've never seen anything in state law that backs this up - not that it matters too much, if your department isn't willing to stand by you if you take action off duty, you're going to fight a legal battle anyway. It IS a shame in smaller communities where everybody knows everybody - once you're seen as an officer or deputy, paid or not, that's the association created for you in the mind of the public.

I'd think around here #1 of the LEOSA rules are what would DQ reserves - they're not paid, so they're not employees, they're volunteers..

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    No police officer do not need a LTCH. Most all of them I know have one anyway, but it is not required.

Strangely... A fed LEO I'm related to doesn't have his license/permit (whatever his state calls it?) because he also has his license plate restricted.

With the carry license, he'd be forced into having it tied to his license plate and wouldn't be able to have the restriction any longer. :n00b:

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Wow! I find that interesting! Maybe something has changed. Ive been out of the game for the last year or so. Getting back in in a different county so maybe I will learn things have changed.

That's interesting, I only know of one department that does NOT grant police powers off-duty to reserve officers. It must be different by region. So, for the departments that allow police powers off-duty to reserves, they would be covered under LEOSA.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Not tue totaly. small differences in Uniform and credentials are deferent, reserve is spelled out. No police powers whatso ever when not on duty. Speaking for Carroll Co. Suppose there could be some diff in other counties maybe.

I have never heard of any police department or sheriffs department that restricts off duty powers. There may be some but I have never seen it. I sure as hell won't be working for one like that.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    So let me get this straight, a new poster with fine gramer wants to know the details of the LEO exception to the carry license so that he can decide if he wants to except them from his own personal regulations on firearms sales that are not required by law?

I was just laying here on the couch eating a hamburger waiting on my government check and thought it seemed mildly amusing. ;)
    Don't get grease on your guv'ment check.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    NO GRAMER IS FINE JUST WORKED LAST NIGHT THOUGHT I WOULD ASK THIS QUESTION , THE QUESTION IS AND WAS DO POLICE OFICERS STILL NEED A PERMIT TO CARRY A WEAPON , i AM AWARE OF THE FTF DEAL WAS LOOKING FOR ANSWERS BUT INSTEAD GET INSULTED BY SOME FAT LAZY GUY EATING A HAMBURGER LAYING ON THE COUCH WITH A 3RD GRADE EDUCATION GETTING A GOVERNMENT CHECK BECAUSE HE DIDNT FINISH SCHOOL AND CANT WORK BECAUSE OF IT CALLING ME OUT , THX FOR ALL THE RESPONE FROM THOSE WHO ANSWERED WITH GOOD INTENSIONS

You're referring to yourself, right? :toilet2:

Anyone with Google could find the answer to this question himself.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Hey hillbilly 41..... my dogs like hamburgers and laying on the couch.......:patriot:

tretert.png

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have never heard of any police department or sheriffs department that restricts off duty powers. There may be some but I have never seen it. I sure as hell won't be working for one like that.

There are several departments out west and even some FED Agencies that only have arrest Powers while on duty. They as well as all reserve officers are all still covered to carry by LEOSA. LEOSA doesn't break it down from full time or part time just an employee of a GOV Agency. LEOSA is not about arresting anyone off duty it's about the officers "Safety" allowing them to carry. It is really a 2 fold thing. They can defend themselves if they are confronted by someone they have arrested and it gives uniformed Officers atrained resource if they are in the area of something happening if said uniformed officer wants it!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Remember the question is about reserves, not paid officers. There are types of deputies that don't have full LEO powers even while on duty. A reserve jail deputy, for example, may not have any powers outside of the jail or while off duty. Business special deputies don't have any authority outside of the place they are employed at, as they draw their authority from the sheriff but aren't employed directly by the sheriff department.

IC Code 36-8-10 has the rules.

"During the term of the special deputy's appointment and while the special deputy is fulfilling the specific responsibilities for which the appointment is made, a special deputy has the powers, privileges, and duties of a county police officer under this chapter, subject to any written limitations and specific requirements imposed by the sheriff and signed by the special deputy. "

When I was a teenager there was a woman at the BMV who was a special deputy. Her only "power" was the ability to run VIN checks so the Sheriff's Dept didn't have to send over a deputy ever time they needed it done.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Remember the question is about reserves, not paid officers. There are types of deputies that don't have full LEO powers even while on duty. A reserve jail deputy, for example, may not have any powers outside of the jail or while off duty. Business special deputies don't have any authority outside of the place they are employed at, as they draw their authority from the sheriff but aren't employed directly by the sheriff department.

IC Code 36-8-10 has the rules.

"During the term of the special deputy's appointment and while the special deputy is fulfilling the specific responsibilities for which the appointment is made, a special deputy has the powers, privileges, and duties of a county police officer under this chapter, subject to any written limitations and specific requirements imposed by the sheriff and signed by the special deputy. "

When I was a teenager there was a woman at the BMV who was a special deputy. Her only "power" was the ability to run VIN checks so the Sheriff's Dept didn't have to send over a deputy ever time they needed it done.

This was touched on in another thread here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e/253293-reserve_police_units_a_question.html

If you read my posts it it I think I exlpained it pretty well. I am a Lead Firearms instructor for a Federal Agency and we have recurring training on LEOSA a lot since our folks are covered by it.

I don't understand why people are so wraped around the axel with LEOSA. You can have Statutory Powers of Arrest on duty only and only for one thing say Assaulting an Officer, and as long as you are qualifed with fireams, supervise incarcerated/detaind persons (and not under disciplinary etc ) and an employee of a GOV agency You are qualified! There is no specification on full or part time employment or if you have SPA on duty only or both on and off duty.
    Several Federal Agencies have SOA on duty only. VA Police, Federal Bureau of Prisons employees and a few others and they are covered!

There are several agencies some Federal as well (mine is one) that only have SPA on duty only and they are covered because LEOSA doesent specify on duty or off, it doesent specify full or part time just employee of GOV agency and qualified with firearms.

As I stated in earlier posts you can have SPA but if you are not qualified with firearms you are not covered, You could carry firearms but no have SPA just able to detain and you are not covered (think Military MP's)

If you are a Reserve Officer and fit the 6 criteria you are Covered!

Top Bottom