• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam7157

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Waynetown
    I have a 98 TJ. 4 " lift, 33s, custom winch bumper. 220000 miles and still driving, not much of a daily driver anymore. Been having fun in all this snow.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Picked up Comanche body parts from the doors forward today. I only needed the Header/Grill, right fender (crunch), and hood (hail damage) but you never know when you might need one of the other parts. Curious about rust since my drivers side rocker rusted out so I crawled underneath the other day and the pans look pretty good. It had been undercoated and in some places some of it was coming off, mostly where road rocks would hit, so this Summer I will do some scraping and cleaning to see how bad it might be and paint.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Picked up Comanche body parts from the doors forward today. I only needed the Header/Grill, right fender (crunch), and hood (hail damage) but you never know when you might need one of the other parts. Curious about rust since my drivers side rocker rusted out so I crawled underneath the other day and the pans look pretty good. It had been undercoated and in some places some of it was coming off, mostly where road rocks would hit, so this Summer I will do some scraping and cleaning to see how bad it might be and paint.

You need something more durable then paint underneath

phisch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    West Lafayette
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X. Just his 30k miles.
    Trail Rated works in the snow, too.

Attachments

• 978770E1-2C33-4974-934A-812CDB86F0F0_zpsalehttwt.jpg
      978770E1-2C33-4974-934A-812CDB86F0F0_zpsalehttwt.jpg
      119.2 KB · Views: 13

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For work on the XJ, just picked up a brand new Lincoln Power MIG 180c (on sale locally), cart, tank, and gas for the price of a new 180c. I have a 100 amp panel in my garage so adding the 220 outlet will be a simple thing.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hey, does anyone have issues with the factory radio? My last two Jeeps have come with Sirius/XM installed, and the reception on the free radio stations sucked on both. Right now my free stations come in fine as long as I'm driving west, but otherwise, just static. Is it a conspiracy to get people to subscribe?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Hey, does anyone have issues with the factory radio? My last two Jeeps have come with Sirius/XM installed, and the reception on the free radio stations sucked on both. Right now my free stations come in fine as long as I'm driving west, but otherwise, just static. Is it a conspiracy to get people to subscribe?

Radio in my xj can be crappy...worse then my volvo.

If I was able, I'd only use Sirius/XM radio...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I subscribed to Sirius for a couple of years, but I finally cut it off when they wanted $189 a year. Now I just stream Pandora through my phone. Not quite as convenient, but free.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Anyone have issue with this lift kit?

images.ashx

Trail Master Part TM3745-40023 - 4.5 Inch Lift Kit with NGS Shocks - Fits 1984 to 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - 4 Wheel Parts - $646.99

I know it's on the cheap, but I don't have the proper tools to do it and will have to pay for labor.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Don't have proper tools?

All you need is a socket wrench, set of sockets, drill and drill bits.

It's easy stuff.

Until something gets stuck and you need a torch, an air wrench, air hammer, good compressor. Then there's the jack stands, the jack, extra muscle, good location and good weather let alone confidence and knowledge that I would know what the heck I'm doing. If I had a friend who knew what they were getting into, extra tools and the time to help, I'd feel more confident in doing it myself as long as it got done in a timely manner.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I bought all the tools and supplies once I got my suspension kit.

I figured it would be cheaper to purchase all the tools vs paying someone else to do it. Plus I'm done with having to deal with someone's else's mistakes on my jeep. I'm doing all my own work now. You won't believe the mistakes I found from 4 Wheel Parts.

I learned as I went too. Read everything on Jeep Forum. Best thing I ever did.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Are you doing a SYE, too? Lower the TC?

I have a Dana35 with an NP231. Honestly, I could do without a 4.5" lift (lesser) if I could avoid having to install a slip yoke and dropping the TC. My main problem is that my leaf springs are flat. So I'm going to have to install new leafs regardless, I thought why not just go ahead with a lift. I don't plan to take it out mudding or crawling. I just want it to be a capable daily driver and SHTF vehicle.

EDIT: Even with flat springs and bald tires, I had no problems with the ice and snow. So talk me out of a lift or into one. I originally wanted a 3" lift with 31's.

Last edited:

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I've done several CJ's with the 4.5 lift and just rolling the rear pinion up a bit works fine for daily driver setups, and the CJ rear shaft is VERY short. The Cherokee is HUGE by comparison. My daily driver has 6" of suspension lift with the spring over and shackles and has 55K to 60k miles on it with only one set of u joints about 2 years ago. You can use wedges to change your pinion angle if the included shackles aren't enough. (Longer shackles at the rear of the leaf springs will lower the spring eye and cause the pinion to roll up) It will be all right unless you add horsepower, a locker etc.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    EDIT: Even with flat springs and bald tires, I had no problems with the ice and snow. So talk me out of a lift or into one. I originally wanted a 3" lift with 31's.

I don't have personal experience yet but am researching lifts like you are. I don't want to go more than 3-3.5" to avoid all the other issues that come with that much lift. So far, I have narrowed it down to the OME 3" or the Rubicon Express 3.5" . I know they are more expensive than the kit you posted, though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I went 4.5" or so on two XJ's, and with just a 1" T case drop had no vibe issues.
    No SYE needed (might be a better deal having one though when you smoke a yoke or D shaft on the trail and gotta yank the shaft).

Shackle drops for the rear leaf- never used them. Just did a 3" pack with a spacer.

Depending on how much rust you have, the lack of impact tools could prove to be problematic. Strong arming leaf /shackle bolts can lead to major headaches (nutserts break loose). For that reason, I'd leave the shackles alone, and buy some Kroil (for every other bolt) :)

Yes, Kroil is king when it comes to penetrating oils.

FWIW, I didn't like sway bar drop brackets, or extended links. My last XJ had no sway bars and was my DD and drove fine..............well, it seemed to, compared to the CJ's I used to have ;)

Top Bottom