lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sorry dude, PB aint in the same league.
    Kroil is king.

When I installed my 4" Savvy/Currie suspension, I had good luck with PB and some heat. I'll try that Kroil though.

Check this out, folks: I went LED crazy on my Jeep in a wild attempt to turn night into day! I added a light bar with 100 LED's, producing an advertized 30,000 lumens! I also added Truck-Lite LED headlights, which finally cured the pathetic headlight output on the JK. The Truck-Lites are amazing, but my wallet will be hurting for awhile.

I wired the big LED into a Daystar A-pillar switch pod. I'll next be extending the wiring from the driving lights in front of the winch from an old switch to the new switch pod, too. The LED light bar and mounts all came from Ebay. 34 of the LED's are flood, while the rest are spot. The thing throws a painful amount of light out front. It's probably enough to give someone skin cancer or burn their retinas out. You could almost commit murder with it. It is to off road lights as a train horn is to the horn on a scooter. :D

I didn't do it for need so much as to cure some winter boredom. The headlights, though, were for need, for sure. I can't believe a modern vehicle would come with such poor headlights from the factory.

What do you think?

IMG_1811_zps5b7cee63.jpg
    Jeepwinter14_zpsc768a590.jpg
    IMG_20140105_154805_282_zpspfx1dwzq.jpg
    IMG_20140112_185754_421_zpsqc8eqhri.jpg

I like it.

I have always liked LEDs. But I still like my KC's though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    PB Blaster might be fine for newer stuff ;)

Corrosion and cheap fasteners (older Jeeps), Kroil is the sh*t. That and an impact would be the best setup.
    I could NOT get my lower C arms off my ZJ.............PB and other, cranking so hard I was pushing blood through my skin (yeah I get rather honked).
    Tradesman at work said try Kroil, he gave me an Aerosol version.

I doubted him, laughed out loud. Told me they unstuck a rather large press with galled cam.

Sprayed it, and popped the C arms loose. I have since used NOTHING else.
    It stinks and is expensive, but so am I (that means I'm worth it)

:)

They used to run specials (mfg). I'd get 2 of the large aersol cans ............used to go on sale for price of one smaller can.
    At my new job we use it by the gallons. Reg liquid. It gives me a wicked headache.

I liked the aerosol, good stream, could get it in and under without risk of splash back of smelling horrible. I suppose liquid in a spray bottle would be OK..............I have a smaller 3 in 1 type of squeeze can for gunsmithing stuff (very popular in that field).

Just checked, 52 bucks a gallon. But the 16 oz aero cans are 18.50.
    IMHO that stuff is a freakin' bargain.

However.............some folks react differently to chemicals, I'd find a gunshop that has some and get a whiff or be around some on a rag, see how you deal with it. I know at my old job a model maker would spray mold release (blue and black can) 75 ft away and I'd literally not be able to breathe, had to split quick and had a wicked headache.

Funny, my tric degreasers that bothered others, never phased me.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    All my control arms and bolts are new, so I have no plans to remove them anytime soon.

I may buy that Kroil when it's time to remove my windshield hinge bolts to install my KC windshield lights.

I hear those bolts can be a PITA, and some have to drill them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The torx fasteners are soft, and yup..............when your rig gets old and rusty, proly have to drill some.
    I did my buddy's TJ, it was a couple of yrs old and we almost had to drill two of the hinge bolts.
    When I did my last CJ, I bet I drilled half of them LOL.
    So PO'd I didn't use that type in repair. Just ran stainless cap screws and potten them. Funky, but it worked, and left me a lot better chunk to grab onto if I ever needed to.
    But a guy with a welder could probably just tab a boogered hinge bolt and pop it out. Amazing how much a flat head will load up, if slightly out of alignment.
    I never designed any fixtures at work with those, esp the small stuff, because the Allen head gets even smaller.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I like it.

I have always liked LEDs. But I still like my KC's though.

One advantage of the KC's is that they don't freeze or frost over like LED's can do. That's why I kept my Baja Designs Fuego's in front of the winch. They get HOT when they are on, and put out lots of light. I kept the factory fog lights, too, for the same reason.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here is my current daily driver Jeep.

Yes it is a Jeep. The J in FJ for a Toyota FJ cruiser means Jeep which was a generic term for that style vehicle before it became a name brand.. The F means gas engine. I will build my Cherokee for off road.

1kza.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg

Yes it is a Jeep. The J in FJ for a Toyota FJ cruiser means Jeep which was a generic term for that style vehicle before it became a name brand.. The F means gas engine. I will build my Cherokee for off road.

1kza.jpg

That's a really nice Toyota FJ. I'll bet it won't get the Jeep wave, though. ;)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

1kza.jpg

More of a jeep then the new cherokee

Top Bottom