• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I ran 3" and 31's on my first XJ and the tires chewed the fenderwells offroad. Next XJ had 4.5" or so lift and 31's.
    DD and wheelers both, no vibe issues, and drove fine at highway+ speeds. The last one had no sway bars, so gave
    me a bit of a CJ feeling, but never any problems with that, as I drove those for years.
    Might have been a bit touchy for a car type going to a Jeep though.

Here is a nice write up.

LOW COG suspension setup tricks/tips (REVISED 9-24-12) - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Lift height doesn't make your wheel openings larger, your suspension will still end up compressing to the stock bumpstops, meant for a stock sized tire. Trimming is mandatory for larger tires if you want full use out of your suspension travel. If you are afraid of trimming, then having a capable rig probably isnt high on your prioroty list and you should stop reading this post now. Trimming combined with bumpstops allowed me to run 37's effectively on a 2.5” lift with plenty of articulation.

6088_505044891094_7143933_n.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I run 31" and no fender trimming on a 3" lift. Yeah, there is a little rubbing, there would probably be more rubbing if I disconnected the sway bars.

That's about as far as you can go without other mods. (I have the stock gear ratios, no SYE but TC is dropped 1") I've seriously thought about going to 4.5" to 5" of lift, trimming, 33"s, LA, SYE, 4.10's, but there's never any money for that.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I run 31" and no fender trimming on a 3" lift. Yeah, there is a little rubbing, there would probably be more rubbing if I disconnected the sway bars.

That's about as far as you can go without other mods. (I have the stock gear ratios, no SYE but TC is dropped 1") I've seriously thought about going to 4.5" to 5" of lift, trimming, 33"s, LA, SYE, 4.10's, but there's never any money for that.

I dunno much about Grand Cherokee's. Would more backspacing fix your rubbing?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I dunno much about Grand Cherokee's. Would more backspacing fix your rubbing?
    I've looked at Kludge's XJ a bunch. Changing backspacing would just change where it rubs. Less (well, stock with larger tires) means it hits the control arms and inner fender. More and it hits the fenders. XJ's just don't have ANY room in the wheel wells. You have to run huge lifts, or start cutting. ZJs (Grands) are just as bad.

The new JKs are completely different. Their wheel well openings are HUGE. I think mshogren on here is running something like 38's with less than 4" lift.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've looked at Kludge's XJ a bunch. Changing backspacing would just change where it rubs. Less (well, stock with larger tires) means it hits the control arms and inner fender. More and it hits the fenders. XJ's just don't have ANY room in the wheel wells. You have to run huge lifts, or start cutting. ZJs (Grands) are just as bad.

Yep, I have two set of wheels; the stock wheels help the tires tuck under the fenders and give me the most flex. Like ElDirector says, the tires rub mostly on the control arms in tight turns with the stock wheels, since they (the tires) are taller than stock. With the aftermarket wheels with less backspacing, the 31"s hit the fenders, but they don't rub the control arms. 6 of one half-dozen of another.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Got my flare nut wrenches in the mail today which means I can again attempt to remove my brake master cylinder. I have also been perusing the Internets and found an interesting DVD made by an Englishman that I am going to order.

Home - Our Online Shop

About 68 bucks US.

He shows how to do metal shaping using hand tools and welding, mostly with OXY, which I have training on and equipment for. I have always found it fascinating how cars used to be built by hand. I may do some experimenting on my crunched Jeep for practice and if it doesn't work out, there are always third party parts. Since my Jeep is nothing more than something to sink money into and not a daily driver, I can use it for experimentation.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Just bought a cj7. doesn't run ,and has some body rust under doors. frame looks good. Guy I bought it off of said it would run and might die going down road. Stop and it would restart. Last time ,never would restart. Any ideas? Warms up I'll get into it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just picked up a 29 spline Chrysler rear axle to replace my 27 spline Chrysler. Easy and good upgrade. The guy also had a steering box brace NIB so I bought that too.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Runs for awhile then dies, as your going down the road. Runs fine while it runs. My guess its gonna be fuel pump. Any thoughts? To cold to check it out now. Cant get it in garage.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Runs for awhile then dies, as your going down the road. Runs fine while it runs. My guess its gonna be fuel pump. Any thoughts? To cold to check it out now. Cant get it in garage.

Dies as in just quits dead or does it do anything before that like lose power, etc.?

Top Bottom