• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Been friends with him for a couple years, I was riding with him the first time he ever got his JKU stuck at Badlands.

That day was fun for two reasons, the first was that it snowed 6" of snow the day before the Toys for Tots day which made for an interesting ride up to Badlands (a friend went up also and he took his 5.2 ZJ with full time 4wd but had to switch to part time a few times). The other part was that the snow was very awesome for taking pictures.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I had a question...should I remove my carrier in my front axle to inspect for any damages? would I have any problems getting it back in?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I had a question...should I remove my carrier in my front axle to inspect for any damages? would I have any problems getting it back in?
    Shouldn't have to pull the carrier to check the R&P. Just pull the cover, and then rotate the ring gear. Damage (or even unusual wear) is usually pretty obvious. If there metal in the gear oil that you drain, then you have a problem!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I used to be annoyed by Wranglers in a bad way, now for some reason I really like the newer ones. There's an orange 2 door soft top with 33" tires running around here I love. On of these the wife and I will have one and make some bigger trails around the farm with it!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nice pics............but "switching a full time to part time" ?

You mean 4 Hi to 4 Lo?

I thought all the 5.2's were Quadratrac.

My 94 Limited has a 5.2 and was a Quadratrac.............is now Selectrac ;)

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Shouldn't have to pull the carrier to check the R&P. Just pull the cover, and then rotate the ring gear. Damage (or even unusual wear) is usually pretty obvious. If there metal in the gear oil that you drain, then you have a problem!

What do you need to see that can't be seen by just removing the diff cover? Are you trying to inspect the bearings? (implied in your post from the last page.) Without a case spreader getting it back it won't be impossible. (Go easy with a big hammer.)

How to install or change or replace gears and bearings in a rear end or differential - YouTube

I have no idea what is wrong with my jeep, I wish it wasn't broken like it is... Guys at Sun Fire said they would take a gander at it tomorrow morning if they can, so maybe I can figure it out soon.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sunfire is good folks. They should get you squared away.

Chunks would be bad. :):

Yea...even though they were swamped, they said they would try to get my jeep checked out. I hadn't noticed any metal in the oil yet, so maybe I lucked out and my gears are fine. Have you guys installed an aussie locker before? Had I asked that question before? I don't remember...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I will be installing a "drop in" locker in a Dana 60 (hopefully) next month, when I regear/rebuild the axle for my CJ.

You've been saying that for a while. :D I'm one to talk!

Caleb, you should be able to put an Aussie in the front without pulling anything out, gears or axles, unless I'm missing something about the design of the Aussie.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Caleb, you should be able to put an Aussie in the front without pulling anything out, gears or axles, unless I'm missing something about the design of the Aussie.

Here's my situation...sun fire said they can put in a master kit for my dana 30 for $375, I was wondering if that would be a good time to put in 4.56 gears and a locker....thoughts?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Last week, I got my wife her first Jeep...

88D46820-0A68-412C-BD58-CCE1D3474374-12120-0000087B7EAB5938_zpsc0f778e6.jpg

2012 Grand Cherokee.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hey! My "accountant" should be ordering parts this week!
    You need to pull the shafts, and then the carrier and ring gear. I don't think there is a way to remove the cross-pin and spider gears otherwise. You should at least check the gear mesh pattern when you re-install, even though nothing should have changed.

Here's my situation...sun fire said they can put in a master kit for my dana 30 for $375, I was wondering if that would be a good time to put in 4.56 gears and a locker....thoughts?
    May as well. The will have the entire thing apart and me re-setting the pattern anyway. The difference in cost should just be parts. What gear ratio are you at now? 4.56 maybe on on the other side of the carrier break.

Top Bottom