• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I didn't trash my tupperware bumper though ;)

Kevin's Offroad does a lot of ZJ products, so I would suspect it to be of sound design.

Give the ol' girl a grand going away party....had to come off to make room for new bumper anyways, and was able to help another jeeper get his old piece of crap bumper off.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Deal fell through, so on the hunt for another bumper...I'm liking couple of those tapered jcroffroad bumpers...couple questions though, I don't have a winch currently but should I get the basic bumper(option 1) or should I buy a bumper that can hold a winch and go winch shopping at a later date(option 2, option 3, or option 4)? How would either of these look with 235/75/15 treadwright crawlers? Tacky?

Option 1 ($325 shipped):

XJ-Basic3.jpg

Option 2 ($519 shipped):

XJ-Winch3.jpg

Option 3 (without the grill guard, like one I was going to buy this week before seller backed out; $360 plus shipping for bare metal or $410 plus shipping powder coated):

cherokeefront2.jpg

Option 4 (dirt bound offroad; $375)

4.jpg

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Tough choice. I'd say if your going to spend the money, and you know you'll eventually have a winch, spend the money once.

I'm not there yet, but I want one like the first one, but with a hiddin winch behind the bumper - most Cherokee winch bumpers hurt the approach angle... but to go the hidden route, you have to do some work.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Tough choice. I'd say if your going to spend the money, and you know you'll eventually have a winch, spend the money once.

I'm not there yet, but I want one like the first one, but with a hiddin winch behind the bumper - most Cherokee winch bumpers hurt the approach angle... but to go the hidden route, you have to do some work.

I like option 1 with no winch, although it'd be wasted money if I have to sell it to get a bumper to add a winch. I wanted to add a winch as a in-case tool, but how do you guys tell if you're ready for a winch?

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    What you could do is get a receiver installed in the JCR bumper. I believe they offer it as an option. Then, when you buy a winch, mount it to a portable winch mount that slides into the receiver. Saves your approach angle, and gives you what you need for a future winch setup

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    What you could do is get a receiver installed in the JCR bumper. I believe they offer it as an option. Then, when you buy a winch, mount it to a portable winch mount that slides into the receiver. Saves your approach angle, and gives you what you need for a future winch setup

you mean slide winch in at start of offroading or only as needed?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I also wanted to add that the guy from HD offroad felt bad about the whole bumper deal, he was kind enough to make things rights. I appreciate his willingness to make customer satisfaction his highest priority.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    You would really only need to put it on when you need it. Ive thought about going this route, still havent decided if ill build a winch bumper, or just one with a receiver. If I go the receiver route, Ill also make a mount inside the back of the Jeep to secure it until needed.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You would really only need to put it on when you need it. Ive thought about going this route, still haven't decided if ill build a winch bumper, or just one with a receiver. If I go the receiver route, Ill also make a mount inside the back of the Jeep to secure it until needed.

I got a question for you, my front frame is a little bent:

0131031608b_zps9b8cf9da.jpg

only on driver's side, how to fix it?

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you're worried about it, talk to this guy. Diamond Collision - INGunOwners

But you have to realize, it's a Jeep (even though its not a Wrangler). Your Jeep ain't a Caddy, it's going to get torn up. The frame may bend a little, you're gonna break stuff.

It's a man's vehicle.

I mainly want to flat enough to use those bolt holes for my bumper, doesn't have to be perfect just enough to use those bolt holes plus the extra bolt holes the heavy duty bumper uses.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I got a question for you, my front frame is a little bent:

0131031608b_zps9b8cf9da.jpg

only on driver's side, how to fix it?

Good question lol. Never really had to repair a unibody frame. If ya wanna do it right, talking to a body guy would be the best bet. Id probably just weld on a plate that goes farther back on the frame and attach to that. Something like this
    images

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Good question lol. Never really had to repair a unibody frame. If ya wanna do it right, talking to a body guy would be the best bet. Id probably just weld on a plate that goes farther back on the frame and attach to that. Something like this
    images

weld that plate on all sides?

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    1996 Cherokee Country all original and runs great but I will need to start replacing things soon. Any recommendations for suspension shops near Elkhart that live and breath Jeep?

Top Bottom