• ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You don't have a frame!

If the bumper is mounted well, then it should be a fine pull-point. If not, the brackets kludge posted would work very well.

The problem with the unibody Cherokee is that the force needs distributed a lot. Otherwise, you can just pull through the sheetmetal.

That why I asked, this bumper is suppose to be heavy duty and curious how to add D rings to front bumper. Also, how thick of steel should a rear bumper be that can have D rings attached to it? I'm considering making my own rear bumper...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That why I asked, this bumper is suppose to be heavy duty and curious how to add D rings to front bumper. Also, how thick of steel should a rear bumper be that can have D rings attached to it? I'm considering making my own rear bumper...

Weld-on clevis mounts:
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=...0c21c28c454948f&biw=1220&bih=853&pf=p&pdl=300

The thicker the bumper the better. I would guess 3/16" or 1/4" would both be fine. Putting the clevis mount in-line with structural parts of the bumper, rather than on a flat unsupported area, would be preferable.

Be sure the bumper mount to the vehicle is as strong as possible. I've seen some folks mount a winch and pull-points on a bumper that only had a couple of 1/4" bolts holding it on. Recipe for disaster!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Weld-on clevis mounts:
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=...0c21c28c454948f&biw=1220&bih=853&pf=p&pdl=300

The thicker the bumper the better. I would guess 3/16" or 1/4" would both be fine. Putting the clevis mount in-line with structural parts of the bumper, rather than on a flat unsupported area, would be preferable.

Be sure the bumper mount to the vehicle is as strong as possible. I've seen some folks mount a winch and pull-points on a bumper that only had a couple of 1/4" bolts holding it on. Recipe for disaster!

I plan on using heavy bolts, I have noticed though that badlands prohibits welded on tow points

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Really? I've never seen that. Every bumper I've seen over there (including all of mine) have welded-on clevis mounts.

here's winterfest requirements:

These are the vehicle requirements:

All vehicles must have the following equipment to attend the off road portion of MWC sponsored events:

• Legally required automobile insurance and registration, as required from the state you reside and required by the Badlands;

• Visibly charged Fire extinguisher, we highly recommend 2.5 lb minimum;

• First Aid Kit;

• Tow strap (no metal hooks allowed);

• Safety belts anchored to factory mounts or vehicle frame;

• Spare tire, jack, and lug wrench (unless you have beadlocks and are able to unlock one or both axles;

• Adequate tow points both front and rear, properly attached. NO welded hooks allowed.

• CB Radio

Also.....your battery MUST be securely mounted, YES we will check.

If you have ANY questions about if you will passtech PM me NOW,sothereistime to correct any issues.

We really need to enforce these requirements, if you don't pass tech, you will not be allowed to run with our group, no refunds.

I did notice the hook part, but I thought keyword was "welded"...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I believe that is NAXJA's requirement, not the Badlands'

From the badlands website:
    All SUV/4x4 ‘s must have at least one tow point (example: tow hook or receiver hitch). Front and rear tow points are mandatory for the harder trails along with a winch and locker.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I believe that is NAXJA's requirement, not the Badlands'

From the badlands website:

you might be right, I need to see what 4wtf requirements are but maybe I'll go with weld on D ring mounts for ease. You ever had any problem with your welded on units breaking?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    you might be right, I need to see what 4wtf requirements are but maybe I'll go with weld on D ring mounts for ease. You ever had any problem with your welded on units breaking?

Nope. But, I've had bolts come loose.

Pretty much of of the 4WTF guys I've seen (lots of pics on Facebook recently) have been welded.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As long as the bumper mounts look like the two hook brackets I posted you should be fine.

As el director said, it's best if the tow hooks or clevis mounts are in-line with the mounting points, if not an extension of the mounting brackets themselves.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    As long as the bumper mounts look like the two hook brackets I posted you should be fine.

As el director said, it's best if the tow hooks or clevis mounts are in-line with the mounting points, if not an extension of the mounting brackets themselves.

I was planning on mounting in line with bumper bracket, unless I go with through the bumper weld on then it would be offset a bit but still welded onto bumper and bracket

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    Coming in late to conversation but my wife and I have a 2006 jeep liberty crd. It has great low end torque, and my wife loves blowing "black diesel smoke" on tailgaiters.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Reminds me, there's a liberty for sale in columbus that has a diesel...Ican get number if anybody is interested.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I own a 5.9 GC and my mom owns an '11 Liberty.
    IMG_20121229_073727_zps91a9be32.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got off work 2 days ago and heard a "pop" when i went to take off. Now scraping sound from 20-40 MPH. Getting louder.

Too cold to go under (smaller garage at new house, old lady's crap filled it up).

I might yank the front driveshaft and see if that says front end only tomorrow (quick).
    Proly popped a CV, or maybe something in the diff. Does not make the wheel bearing grumble/roar.

Being half deaf sure sucks in trying to find problems.

Top Bottom