• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I almost forgot....I folded the windshield! It was easy as can be...6 bolts, 4 minutes, tops!
    MVSXcDE.jpg
    sngQtK3.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I always have to go and get the drool bucket when you post pics of that JL.....SHARP!!!!

Thanks! It's really coming together. I still love my old JK, but this thing does everything better. It really exceeded my expectations. There is lots of fun to be had and memories to be made in this thing!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Is it the diesel?
    If so, is it as cool as I think it should be?

No. The diesel won't hit dealerships until probably September. I thought about waiting, but then found out the diesel was not available with the 6 speed manual. The manual transmission was my #1 desire with the new JL. I will say, though, that the upgraded Pentastar is really sweet. They lightened it up, reduced internal friction, and put two stage variable valve timing on it. These improvements yielded 14% more torque between 1,000 and 3,000 rpm, which is right where I like it. It performs really well on and off road, even with 35's. On top of that, they made first and second gear REALLY short, so in low range, it feels like it could pull a house off it's foundation! (84:1 crawl ratio for the 6 speed. Best ever on a Jeep.) It is easily the most powerful Jeep I've driven. Even though the peak hp and torque numbers are unchanged from 2017, you can feel the difference. I put a Magnaflow axle-back exhaust on it and it really sounds great. My son asks to turn down the radio because he likes to hear the exhaust. Lol!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I made a HUGE modification tonight!

I didn't like the holes left in the front bumper after removing the cosmetic cover to install the winch....
    dG9OQlO.jpg

Soooo, I went over to Lowe's and picked up some plastic automotive plugs/fasteners, and plugged them in. It is astonishing how much those holes bugged me. Problem solved! I feel so much better now. :rockwoot:

XME0wz9.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I added another small mod yesterday....I got rid of the hook and went with a Factor 55 shackle thimble.

NKaBXRl.jpg

Next will be CB and GMRS radios, followed by a sunshade (hard top coming off soon) and 14" light bar on the bumper. Then, a bottle opener that goes on the license plate bolt. :cheers:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That is truly badass! I’m holding out hope for the wife to approve a JL Rubi, but she wasn’t the flag bearer when I bought the 14 JK, so...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I installed a 14" light bar and ran without front doors for the first time with the JL today. These doors are much lighter than the JK doors, so they are easier to remove. For the light bar, I used one of the pre-wired auxillary buttons. All I had to do was connect the power wire from the light bar to the auxillary #1 wire under the hood, then attach the ground to an underhood bolt, and done! It was so nice not to have to run anything through the firewall! There are other wires connected to those switches under the passenger footwell, and one or two that go directly to the battery, which will be nice for the CB and GMRS radios. They really made accessory wiring painless on this thing! Btw, I dug the quick mirror out of my garage. It is from my old YJ!
    x3iw7i0.jpg
    9FoLLWB.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Mock up of the Dave's Customs kit to outboard the springs for the front suspension. I did some grinding of the frame to get off the leftover parts where I cut the front main spring mount off. Drilled into the frame for the first time on the build. Nerve wracking for an amateur, but I got them relatively straight. Speaking of nerves... the nerve damage in my neck haunted me, with my weak grip. I lost control of the drill when the bit caught. It twisted right out of my hands and I snapped off the 1/2" bit... in the frame. Thank God the hole was almost done, and I was able to just bang the broken piece inside the frame. Still have to enlarge the holes on the outside of the frame to 3/4" to allow for the spacers, but I was too sore to try that tonight. I'm using YJ springs and am supposed to make the spring eyes 44" apart, but could only move the rear bracket enough to get 43 1/2". Close enough for me... It already has to be widened 3/8" to fit the Dodge Dana 44, and I didn't want to have to get into the body mount too, so here it will sit.

EsajeH3.jpg

6XeM54w.jpg

lkyfOEB.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Mock up of the Dave's Customs kit to outboard the springs for the front suspension. I did some grinding of the frame to get off the leftover parts where I cut the front main spring mount off. Drilled into the frame for the first time on the build. Nerve wracking for an amateur, but I got them relatively straight. Speaking of nerves... the nerve damage in my neck haunted me, with my weak grip. I lost control of the drill when the bit caught. It twisted right out of my hands and I snapped off the 1/2" bit... in the frame. Thank God the hole was almost done, and I was able to just bang the broken piece inside the frame. Still have to enlarge the holes on the outside of the frame to 3/4" to allow for the spacers, but I was too sore to try that tonight. I'm using YJ springs and am supposed to ke the spring eyes 44" apart, but could only move the rear bracket enough to get 43 1/2". Close enough for me... It already has to be widened 3/8" to fit the Dodge Dana 44, and I didn't want to have to get into the body mount too, so here it will sit.

EsajeH3.jpg

6XeM54w.jpg

lkyfOEB.jpg

That grille in the background looks AWESOME!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Mock up of the Dave's Customs kit to outboard the springs for the front suspension. I did some grinding of the frame to get off the leftover parts where I cut the front main spring mount off. Drilled into the frame for the first time on the build. Nerve wracking for an amateur, but I got them relatively straight. Speaking of nerves... the nerve damage in my neck haunted me, with my weak grip. I lost control of the drill when the bit caught. It twisted right out of my hands and I snapped off the 1/2" bit... in the frame. Thank God the hole was almost done, and I was able to just bang the broken piece inside the frame. Still have to enlarge the holes on the outside of the frame to 3/4" to allow for the spacers, but I was too sore to try that tonight. I'm using YJ springs and am supposed to make the spring eyes 44" apart, but could only move the rear bracket enough to get 43 1/2". Close enough for me... It already has to be widened 3/8" to fit the Dodge Dana 44, and I didn't want to have to get into the body mount too, so here it will sit.

EsajeH3.jpg

6XeM54w.jpg

lkyfOEB.jpg

I didn't want to be the one to point it out but... you put your springs on upside down. ;-)

:laugh:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Here's a useful mod....A bottle opener on the license plate! I know the door latches can work, but I don't think they work very well. This one works like it is supposed to...easily. 10 bucks on Amazon. It makes a nice gift for a Jeep buddy, too. I gave one to a friend for his JK and he loved it!
    9Z7LIAQ.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I installed a CB antenna and Bearcat CB today. I'll also be installing a Midland MXT275 GMRS radio, when it comes available, which should be soon. GMRS is far superior to CB, but most folks with whom I hit the trails have CB's, plus, I like to sometimes chat with truckers on road trips. Anyway, here are some shots of the set-up. Glad to have this done. The Bearcat is a CMX 760. I'll have to tune it, as they supposedly only put out 3 to 3.5 watts of power. It can be tuned to give the full 4 watts, so that's on the to-do list. Anyway, the GMRS will have far greater range, especially with a good antenna, and you can give handhelds to buddies who don't have any comm devices.
    vGGxhdo.jpg
    KM4iHcy.jpg
    KtZkW4E.jpg
    FrDz7oq.jpg

Top Bottom