• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I finally saw the new JL at Estes Jeep. Man those are nice. Haven’t seen any on the road yet.

My TJ is officially cramped with my 1 year old son in the back. And with another on the way, it’s gonna get interesting.
    I’d like to have a JKU, but haven’t seen any that I can afford yet.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I finally saw the new JL at Estes Jeep. Man those are nice. Haven’t seen any on the road yet.

My TJ is officially cramped with my 1 year old son in the back. And with another on the way, it’s gonna get interesting.

Find an unlimited tj (forgot the code for them), two doors but an extra foot or more. I know they were made in 2004 but don’t know all years.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

2 in a TJ is do-able. I did it for a few years. It's just a PITA getting them in and out of the back seat. Only reason we don't still have our old TJ is because you can't fit 3 ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    2 in a TJ is do-able. I did it for a few years. It's just a PITA getting them in and out of the back seat. Only reason we don't still have our old TJ is because you can't fit 3 ;)

Well that's good to know. The bad thing is, my wife isn't able to get our son in and out by herself.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    96 was the cross over year. I would look st a 99 if you can find one. They’re known as one of the best years.

no, 96 was the last year of that body style. 97 was the first year for the "updated" XJ.

Really the drivetrain was pretty much identical in 96, so no issues there IMO. The 4.0L w/ auto is about the most reliable combo ever. You can't kill either of them unless you really try. Gas mileage, meh, 15 mpg city, 20ish highway.

The 97 plus got upgraded exterior styling and an interior make over. I like the 97+ the best myself from a visual standpoint.

As long as you stay away from the early models with the renix engine management (late 80s models) then you're in good shape, again, IMO.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The 96 has 189 k on body and at 150k the motor had the heads reworked. Little rust but all in all decent looking for 96. Needing a third vehicle and looking to park truck and turn into a daily driver back in forth to work. All my research shows the 4.0 to be good engine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    no, 96 was the last year of that body style. 97 was the first year for the "updated" XJ.

Really the drivetrain was pretty much identical in 96, so no issues there IMO. The 4.0L w/ auto is about the most reliable combo ever. You can't kill either of them unless you really try. Gas mileage, meh, 15 mpg city, 20ish highway.

The 97 plus got upgraded exterior styling and an interior make over. I like the 97+ the best myself from a visual standpoint.

As long as you stay away from the early models with the renix engine management (late 80s models) then you're in good shape, again, IMO.

Not a jeep guy (own an FJ now), but owned a 97 TJ that I bought new at the time, but ended up selling due to kid coming along shortly after. I thought the 96 year was skipped for the Wrangler's and it was designated a 97, even though they may have come out in 96. Is that not correct?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Not a jeep guy (own an FJ now), but owned a 97 TJ that I bought new at the time, but ended up selling due to kid coming along shortly after. I thought the 96 year was skipped for the Wrangler's and it was designated a 97, even though they may have come out in 96. Is that not correct?

Yes, there was no 1996 Wrangler. 1995 was the last model year of the YJ, and 1997 was the first model year of the TJ.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    The TJ Unlimited was only made from 2004-2006. Often referred as an LJ (longer TJ). There often sought after by Jeepers. They came loaded, AC, Cruise, and a crappy CD player. They all have the legendary 4.0 Inline 6.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes, there was no 1996 Wrangler. 1995 was the last model year of the YJ, and 1997 was the first model year of the TJ.

Ok, yep, that's what I remembered as I had a 97 TJ for a bit that I bought new. Wanted to make sure I wasn't recalling that incorrectly with all the talk about 1996 model year Wranglers I was seeing (though looks like they may have been talking Cherokees/XJ's now that I re-read some of this).

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    So I've been looking for stuff for my JKU including bumpers. I'm pretty particular. I've had experience with a few rear bumper/tire carriers a few years ago that weren't particularry good. So I found a bumper or two I really liked. One of which was made by LoD, the LoD Destroyer rear bumper w/ tire carrier. It was the only bumper that had everything I required..... and then I found out they're in West Lafayette........ BOOM. Done deal! Now the wait begins!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I've been looking for stuff for my JKU including bumpers. I'm pretty particular. I've had experience with a few rear bumper/tire carriers a few years ago that weren't particularry good. So I found a bumper or two I really liked. One of which was made by LoD, the LoD Destroyer rear bumper w/ tire carrier. It was the only bumper that had everything I required..... and then I found out they're in West Lafayette........ BOOM. Done deal! Now the wait begins!

I’m rather fond of the Exogate.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Here is something you guys might find interesting: I did a used oil analysis on a sample of the factory fill oil in my JLU. The factory oil had 2007 miles on it when I changed it. I went to Mobil 1 EP 0w20 and a Fram Ultra Guard oil filter. I'll do one of these for the next 2 to 4 oil changes. The trends it establishes will be interesting to see.

wLOGsMJ.png

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Principal Skinr,
    My wife works just a block south of Blackstone... I had talked to Jim Stark about 15 years ago as he worked at the same place I did before quitting to start his business. He joked me and said if I wasn't feeling good to stop in and he would "analyze my blood to see what ails me!"
    I'll have to send in a sample of my first oil change on my 2018 JKU to see what it shows. Thanks for posting your oil report.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Principal Skinr,
    My wife works just a block south of Blackstone... I had talked to Jim Stark about 15 years ago as he worked at the same place I did before quitting to start his business. He joked me and said if I wasn't feeling good to stop in and he would "analyze my blood to see what ails me!"
    I'll have to send in a sample of my first oil change on my 2018 JKU to see what it shows. Thanks for posting your oil report.

That's a great story! When you do, post it up. How many miles do you have on it, so far?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    That's a great story! When you do, post it up. How many miles do you have on it, so far?
    Only 284 miles on my JKU. We usually take my wife's JKU when we go away and she drives it to work four days a week. I'll change my oil at 500 miles. Once spring comes and outdoor work starts I'll rack up many more miles getting the yard supplies for the year.

Top Bottom