• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I called 4 Wheel Parts and even Sunfire. For going to 4.88, I'm looking at $1200-$1300. If I decide to go with 5.13, it'll be another $100 or so.

My father thinks I'm out of my mind for spending that much money, and doesn't know if it's actually a good idea or not.

From my own research, I believe doing this will actually improve my engine, and put less stress on it. Making it last longer.

I dunno.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm a fan of having gears that match the tires. I like to keep the engine in the intended operating range. What year is your jeep and which engine do you have? 35/30 axles? What size tires are you running and what size do you want to run? Do you know what ratio you have now?

How much impact did it make going from stock (235/75?) tires to the 33's you're running now? How much change in RPM at a given speed? How much power loss?

$1200-1300 sounds like 400ish in labor. Do you know what brand of gears they are selling you?

Yukons with install kits are around $900 (all links below to Randy's Ring and Pinion for convenience):
    Yukon Gear & Install Kit package for Jeep XJ & YJ with Dana 30 front and Model 35 rear, 4.88 ratio. - YGK002

The kit comes with instructions:
    http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/P...3 Yukon General Installation Instructions.pdf

You can get the parts separately and buy cheaper gears like USA Standard Gear (Also made by Yukon, not sure the difference):
    Front Install Kit: $150
    Rear Install Kit: $ 140
    Front Gears: $177
    Rear Gears: $175

Cost: $650ish. Add $100 because I always forget something and end up at NAPA. $750
    You'll spend some money on tools if you don't have them, too.
    Or you can call eldirector's friend and see what he can do for you.

It's likely you can reuse many of those bearings, shims, and other parts in the install kit. So you could potentially piecemeal the parts you need for further costs savings. I think it't just easier to buy the install kit and be done with it.

You might also consider that the model 30 and 35 axles have pretty small pinions. When you start cutting those high ratio gears on there, they get even smaller. A lot of people tend to think they get unnecessarily weak with high ratios in the case. Whether that is a factor will depend significantly on your driving habits.

Someone with more experience will probably chime in and give you better info. I am going to be installing some gears here soon. I will take pictures and post on the process as I go through it.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think those second install kits I linked don't include shims and whatnot. If you can't work it with the same shims currently in the diff, or need the additional parts, a kit like this may be more appropriate: Diff Wizard suggests USA Standard Master Overhaul kit for the Dana 30 short pinion front differential - ZK D30-TJ Or you could buy the parts separately. There are stand-alone shim kits and crush sleeves and bolts and... whatever you want.

Of course, check all part numbers. I wouldn't order anything based on my random internet searches. I did this while listening to various conference calls at work. :-)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    2005 4.0. D30 in the front, D44 in the rear. Currently have 3.73 gears now. With my 42RLE 4 speed auto, I'd be better off with 4.88 gears with 33" tires. And 5.13 gears if I want to go to 35" tires. (Revolution Gears now have 5.13 for my axles).

I never asked which brand they used.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    At least you have the 44. That's cool.

If it were me, I'd regear. I would be looking at traction enhancing devices too. If I were going to the trouble I'd go all out.

Go 5.13 And get new tires when the budget catches up if 35's are your heart's desire. Just my thoughts.

If I ever get my Jeep back together we'll have to have an INGO Jeep Day at the Badlands or Attica or somewhere.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    At least you have the 44. That's cool.

If it were me, I'd regear. I would be looking at traction enhancing devices too. If I were going to the trouble I'd go all out.

Go 5.13 And get new tires when the budget catches up if 35's are your heart's desire. Just my thoughts.

If I ever get my Jeep back together we'll have to have an INGO Jeep Day at the Badlands or Attica or somewhere.

I've not seen any pictures of your jeep....

I gotta think about this some more. Too many thoughts running thru my head..

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've never posted any pics of my jeep. It's a CJ I've had since high school. I has always had issues and I've never had the budget to make it what I really want. I did a lot of work to it in HS, rebuilt the engine and tranny, got it running pretty good. Then I started taking it off road and breaking it.

I let it sit about 4 years without really running it. Now it has more issues than when I started. Plenty of rust, lots of paint issues, etc. I'm currently going through an exercise to get it running again. Replacing all the brake lines, some tires and gears, things like that. Might convert to propane and just leave it as a weekend toy.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've never posted any pics of my jeep. It's a CJ I've had since high school. I has always had issues and I've never had the budget to make it what I really want. I did a lot of work to it in HS, rebuilt the engine and tranny, got it running pretty good. Then I started taking it off road and breaking it.

I let it sit about 4 years without really running it. Now it has more issues than when I started. Plenty of rust, lots of paint issues, etc. I'm currently going through an exercise to get it running again. Replacing all the brake lines, some tires and gears, things like that. Might convert to propane and just leave it as a weekend toy.

Yellow correct? I believe it was your Jeep way back that initially inspired my desire to get one. When Clint got his, I bugged the **** out of him until he eventually sold it to me.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    well the clutch in the yj just failed. Looking into it and of course I have the one with the internal slave. Not looking forward to this project. The worst part is its my daily driver.

Anyone here ever changed one out? Any tips?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    well the clutch in the yj just failed. Looking into it and of course I have the one with the internal slave. Not looking forward to this project. The worst part is its my daily driver.

Anyone here ever changed one out? Any tips?

Rent a transmission jack. Its a lot better than dropping it on your hand.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I got an extra floor jack I'm gonna fabricate a bracket for it to strap to the trans

You may find the adjustability of a real tranny jack to be helpful. Sometimes it can be a pain to get lined up on the pilot bearing through the clutch. Sometimes it flies right in, though. I've not done a YJ or the transmission you have. So I cant really speak to the specifics.

Top Bottom