• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhjennings

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Nashville
    I love my 99 wrangler, I got in it for the first time with 9 miles on it. 2" body and 2"suspension lifts. We just had our 16 year anniversary in December, what a fun ride. And we used to go to the badlands in Attica all the time when I was at Purdue

my wife has a 14 grand cherokee, it does have round headlights, but no removable top sadly

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh, and in case anyone is interested....

Most of my parts have arrived for the front dana 60 going into my old CJ. 4.56:1 gears, OX Locker, high steer arms, and the steering tubes/inserts and rod ends. It will still need all new bearings/seals in the hubs and all new brakes. As soon as I clear some "honey do" projects from the list, it is back to the CJ!

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Well I topped the master cylinder off and bled it off. The clutch feels better than it did before it went out. It's inevitable that I'll have to change the whole thing but at least this will hopefully buy me some time to save up for it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I guess no one wants to be my sugar daddy. I started reading this thread from the beginning and I'm about 120 pages in. Looks like it used to be pretty active. I may have to start posting random pics of my latest efforts to resurrect my old CJ to give this thread more life.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have been driving with my OD turned off. It has made a BIG difference in regards to power. And my engine seems to be happier while driving interstate speeds.

I'm not sure how to do the math to find out what gearing I'm simulating, but I'm assuming it's 4.56....
    This just means I am definitely going to do a regear, or at least HAVE it done.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have been driving with my OD turned off. It has made a BIG difference in regards to power. And my engine seems to be happier while driving interstate speeds.

I'm not sure how to do the math to find out what gearing I'm simulating, but I'm assuming it's 4.56....
    This just means I am definitely going to do a regear, or at least HAVE it done.

You're not simulating any gearing. Your jeep just isn't shifting in to its highest OD gear. Do you know which transmission you have? You can find the ratios online and the math is pretty straight forward to find the final drive ratio with each.

You don't really need to do all that though. If you want to go back to factoryish drivability and ratios, determine which axle ratios are right relative to your tires and put em in.

What are your original axle ratios and stock tire size?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The change from 31's to 33's doesn't seem like it would have that big an effect. 3.73. With 31 and moving to 33's, the math says 3.97 Would be the same ratio on the ground.

If the actual factory size was 235/75, which is basically a 27.5" or 28" tire the math works out to 4.4 being the equivalent ratio when accounting for tire circumference.

These aren't real axle ratios. Just the numbers I get when doing the math.
    :
    Basically, new circ/old circ x old ratio = new ratio.

This doesn't account for torque converter inefficiencies or anything else.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I already done part of it. I did the SYE, upgraded my suspension with the Savvy/Currie JJ 4" with double adjustable aluminum control arms. Along with the Currie correctlync HD steering, and front and rear adjustable track bar. Also an aluminum antirock.

I already have a D44 rear axle :)

I'm just wanting to regear. I'm unsure about a locker. As for 35s, I'm still researching brake kits. I would have to upgrade my current brakes for that large of a tire. I'd also have to get a 1" BL.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think body lifts are kinda ugly. How often are you gonna flex it enough to rub? Inside of that, how often are you gonna rub hard enough to damage anything?

33 To 35 = brakes? Maybe, but I bet you'll live if you used your current brakes.

Does the Currie steering use tie rod ends or Heim style joints? I am trying to decide what to do with my steering. I will probably just flip it to the top of the knuckle with standard TREs.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The body lift would be a good start for a tummy tuck too.

For someone who doesn't wheel enough to be sure if a locker is worthwhile, a tummy tuck seems like a lot of effort for relatively little gain. (Assuming that means some amount of clocking the t-case, doing something about the shifter,, fabbing or buying a flat belly skid plate, etc.)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Also, why not consider an electric locker in there with the ARB and Detroit you've mentioned in this thread (since 2013)? No need for a compressor and perfectly roadworthy.

I have a detroit in a CJ but I'm not sure I'd want it in a daily driver. Made quite a difference off road, though.

Top Bottom