• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    I admit I am a little jealous of your Jeep, where did you find if you don't mind me asking? I would love to have one like that to restore.

Craigs list. It was in Tacoma, WA. The story that I got is that I am just the 3rd owner. One of the compartments behind the sear was full of water. When I cleaned it out, I found a full set of snow chains. They installed running boards on the side of the dump bed and mounted 3 Jerry cans on one side and the spare plus a 4th Jerry can on the right side. 2 for water and 2 for gas. Plus found extra points and condenser in glove box. 2 fire extinguishers. Someone was serious about going out in the woods. Some bonds just like about all of them but still was in better shape than I hoped.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A buddy of mine came across some old Jeep parts in the back of a 63 Corvette in the shop.

Look like a few t-case parts for a Dana 18 and a Ramsey PTO winch. If interested I can put you in touch.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I need to figure out what I should do. I want to start buying new tires. I think I'll just buy 1 at a time, try to spread the cost out a bit over time.

I'm running 33's now, but I'm very tempted to go 35's this time. The problem is, I have 3.73 gears. I'm afraid 35's would make it even worse. And I haven't been able to find a decent shop other than 4 Wheel Parts to get a quote.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There just aren't that many folks here locally that do gears.

SunFire Off-Road
    But, they are WAY east of here.

I know Walt's in Brownsburg does gears, but no idea of their price or quality:
    Services

I'm guessing TrukWurks in Bainbridge does gears:
    Truk Wurks Off Road Headquarters

I also have a friend of mine that does this on the side. Let me see if he is interested. He is up in Sheridan.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks! I've not heard of that place in Brownsburg before.

There just aren't that many folks here locally that do gears.

SunFire Off-Road
    But, they are WAY east of here.

I know Walt's in Brownsburg does gears, but no idea of their price or quality:
    Services

I'm guessing TrukWurks in Bainbridge does gears:
    Truk Wurks Off Road Headquarters

I also have a friend of mine that does this on the side. Let me see if he is interested. He is up in Sheridan.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Don't be a pansy. It might be a lot of fun. And you'll save $1,000 in labor. Maybe it was already defined up thread, but what ratio are you going to? While you're in there you might as well install lockers, too. This way you get it all done in the same labor cost.

I'm with Jackson on this one. It's really not as intimidating as it seems, and there are plenty of videos and write-ups to help you through it. The money you save on labor will pay for the tires AND lockers.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm with Jackson on this one. It's really not as intimidating as it seems, and there are plenty of videos and write-ups to help you through it. The money you save on labor will pay for the tires AND lockers.

On the other hand, if you screw it up you can experience that awesome bad gear whining noise and replace them again in a few months. :-)

But, its not that terribly hard. It can be done with fairly simple tools. If you get a good mesh pattern, backlash, and bearing preload (for axles with a crush sleeve in the pinion bearing), you should be fine. I seem to also remember measuring end to end axle play, but that may have been specific to the AMC 20.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

On the other hand, if you screw it up you can experience that awesome bad gear whining noise and replace them again in a few months. :-)

But, its not that terribly hard. It can be done with fairly simple tools. If you get a good mesh pattern, backlash, and bearing preload (for axles with a crush sleeve in the pinion bearing), you should be fine. I seem to also remember measuring end to end axle play, but that may have been specific to the AMC 20.

Have you guys done a regear yourself?

Top Bottom