I can't do anything in the game without "Another settlement needs our help"

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Oh c'mon dude, 6 days? Immerse yourself in the game, and do the side quests as they come along. It's a much more satisfying experience IMO, and your character gets incredibly powerful.

I did side quests to keep me from doing the main story line, but once I got on the main quests again kept going as I needed to see what was going to happen. I'm sitting at lvl 73 right now, but i started on fallout 3 years ago and don't mind roaming just wished I didn't kill the railroad early in the game. I made a mistake and ran up on them when I opened the door and forgot to reload at that point. I've focused on finding more settlements to create a few that are strict farms, power, water, scavengers, and so on.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Recently got the game w/ new console last week, only got like 24 or so hours into it at this point but its been awkward for me. I played the originals on PC years ago, still have the hard copies too. I loved them and FO3/NV, and I want to love FO4 but some of the things that made previous games so much fun has been removed like others here have said.

I screwed myself early in the game not quite understanding the leveling/perk system, didn't use the crafting systems until level around 14, so the beginning was a huge grind using just base weapons and armor. Timed kidnappings quests suck for me, I have failed several because I get too busy looting and shooting to save anybody, lol.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Recently got the game w/ new console last week, only got like 24 or so hours into it at this point but its been awkward for me. I played the originals on PC years ago, still have the hard copies too. I loved them and FO3/NV, and I want to love FO4 but some of the things that made previous games so much fun has been removed like others here have said.

I screwed myself early in the game not quite understanding the leveling/perk system, didn't use the crafting systems until level around 14, so the beginning was a huge grind using just base weapons and armor. Timed kidnappings quests suck for me, I have failed several because I get too busy looting and shooting to save anybody, lol.

Don't worry about it there will be more to get. It took me about a day or two to get a hang of the settlement building, but now I've got it where most of my settlements have a defense rating of 250 or higher. I have an xbox one and used the scrapping bug to lower the size limit on my settlements in order to build up the defenses along with walls and buildings for beds.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Don't worry about it there will be more to get. It took me about a day or two to get a hang of the settlement building, but now I've got it where most of my settlements have a defense rating of 250 or higher. I have an xbox one and used the scrapping bug to lower the size limit on my settlements in order to build up the defenses along with walls and buildings for beds.

That's another thing I need to do is work on those settlements. Took a while to get the hang of powering lights, switches, etc and once I did I went right back to looting and exploring. I may see how far I can get without using the new systems for building and crafting though.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That's another thing I need to do is work on those settlements. Took a while to get the hang of powering lights, switches, etc and once I did I went right back to looting and exploring. I may see how far I can get without using the new systems for building and crafting though.

Crafting is worth it as those base weapons will only go so far. The Gauss rifle I have is maxed at around 408 damage after maxing the crafting perks.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Crafting is worth it as those base weapons will only go so far. The Gauss rifle I have is maxed at around 408 damage after maxing the crafting perks.
    I need to invest more in the crafting perks. I have plenty in the Gun Nut perk, and I need to slap some in Blacksmith too

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I need to invest more in the crafting perks. I have plenty in the Gun Nut perk, and I need to slap some in Blacksmith too

I didn't plan on using melee, but after finding the X01 power armor in order to mod the arms further I need to get it up to lvl 4. I wish I could find a stock pile of bones somewhere over 200 for my oil production besides wildwood graveyard.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm waiting for skyrim to become backwards compatible as many say is more time consuming than fallout 4 even after being years old.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm waiting for skyrim to become backwards compatible as many say is more time consuming than fallout 4 even after being years old.

Skyrim is an excellent game. Lots of fun. My only issue with games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim is that they become too easy later on in the game. Don't get me wrong, play both!!!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Wish I had already bought it. Won't get home in time to.

Oh well, I'd say Bethesda deserves the extra $20 for the phenomenal work they've done. In terms of entertainment hour per dollar the only thing cheaper than Fallout is cloud watching.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

So have you had a chance to play Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas? What is your assessment if so?

Doug

I played a little bit of the Fallout 3, but it's been a while and couldn't give you a detail write up.

A few things I've noticed though, the graphics is nowhere as good as fallout 4...seems obvious, but I kinda find it a bit annoying. I also see how some reviewers noting how fatiguing playing fallout 3 with its dark and greenish environment, whereas fallout 4 feels more natural having actual natural daylight color.

Iirc, menu and layout is different....you get used to playing fallout 4, you have to relearn a lot if you start playing fallout 3 (or vice versa).

The overseers for some reason plots the whole vault against you, if it were for the overseer's daughter, hard saying what would've happened.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fallout 4 Survival Mode details. Lot more to it than New Vegas had. No fast travel and no manual saves is going to be interesting!

Saving

Manual and quicksaving are disabled. To save your game, you'll need to find a bed and sleep for at least an hour.

Combat

Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with "Adrenaline" (see below).

Fast Travel

Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to be somewhere, you'll have to physically travel there.

Weighted Ammo

Bullets and shells now all have a small amount of weight, which varies by caliber. Heavier items such as fusion cores, rockets, and mini-nukes can really drag you down.

Compass

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as enemies will no longer appear on your compass. As well, the distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened.

Adrenaline

Survival automatically grants the Adrenaline perk, which provides a bonus to your damage output. Unlike other perks, the only way to increase your rank of the Adrenaline perk is by getting kills (hostile or otherwise). The higher your Adrenaline rank, the higher the damage bonus. Sleeping for more than an hour, however, will cause your Adrenaline rank to lower. You can check your current Adrenaline rank at any time in the Perks section on the Stat tab in your Pip-Boy.

Wellness

You'll find it difficult to survive without taking proper care of yourself. You must stay hydrated, fed, and rested to remain combat-ready. Going for extended periods of time without food, water, or sleep will begin to adversely affect your health, hurting your SPECIAL stats, adding to your Fatigue (see "Fatigue" below), lowering your immunity (see "Sickness" below), and eventually even dealing physical damage to you.

Fatigue

Fatigue works like radiation but affects your Action Points (AP) rather than your Hit Points (HP). The more Fatigue you've built up, the less AP you'll have for other actions. The amount of Fatigue you've accumulated is displayed in red on your AP bar.

Sickness

A comprised immune system and a few questionable decisions can end up getting you killed. Eating uncooked meat, drinking unpurified water, taking damage from disease-ridden sources, such as ghouls and bugs, or using harmful Chems all put your body at increased risk for various ill effects. When you are afflicted with an illness, a message will appear onscreen. You can view specifics about your current illnesses by navigating to the Status section on your Pip-Boy's Data tab and pressing [RShoulder] to view your active effects.

Antibiotics

Antibiotics, which can be crafted at Chem Stations or purchased from doctors, heal the various effects of sickness.

Bed Types

The type of bed you're sleeping in determines the length of time you are able to stay asleep. A sleeping bag will save your game and may help save your life when you're desperate, but it will never allow for a full night's rest and the benefits that come with it.

Crippled Limbs

Crippled limbs will no longer auto-heal after combat and will remain crippled until healed by a Stimpak.

Carry Weight

Exceeding your carry weight reduces your Endurance and Agility stats and periodically damages your legs and health. Think of your back!

Companions

Companions will no longer automatically get back up if downed during combat and will return home if abandoned without being healed.

Enemy and Loot Repopulation

Locations you've cleared will now repopulate enemies and loot at a significantly slower rate.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Aw heck yeah!

The survival mode in New Vegas was sub par. The food/water/sleep mechanics were barely noticeable and had very little effect on gameplay. Resources were abundant enough it just didn't matter.

I really like Fallout 4's gameplay, but the weapons get so blah so quickly even with the new modding mechanics. I guess New Vegas spoiled me with grenade launcher and lever actions goodness. Not to mention the BAR and the M1911 from DLCs. Nothin' like blasting the crap out of deathclaws with an M79 and a massive stockpile of 40mm grenades.

Top Bottom