• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Wife came home last night with fallout 4 for me, haven't played yet....can't wait.

How did everybody stack their personalities? I hear going high with chrisma is the best way in the long run.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So, I will give a small review here of their new system.

It is simplified on character building, to an extent. The problem I have is that they have removed skills!:xmad: It's not that you don't have them, but rather you don't see them or control them. For example, everyone can pick locks. Locks appear to be categorized into simple, advanced, really advanced, and holy :poop: hard. As you level up you buy "perks" that allow you, if you have met the requirements such as high stat or high level, to buy a new level of perk. However, you never see nor control your lockpick skill. You can either do it or you can't.

Same with guns. You don't improve your skill, you take perks to improve damage OR you increase the controlling stat to increase the chance of success.

Some of this I like, such as a simple stat requirement, like strength, to handle a really big gun. But I do NOT like not being able to control how accurate I am with it beyond simply raising the stat.

They have also focused massively on building your own town - really! You can build furniture, buildings, generators, automatic turrets, everything. I don't know about you but I don't want my post holocaust experience being that of Farmworld or whatever the game is where you build your own farm.

This building thing transfer heavily into modding your own weapons or armour. Part of this I like, but part if it I want to pick up some Sierra Madre armour, put it on, and be protected without worrying about having to personalize the bloody thing.

It's post apocalypse, so I LOVE that! It's character building, meh. It's like when AD&D went from 3.5 (a good system) to 4.0 (sucks a wet fart out of a dead pigeon.) WotC got smart and rebuilt AD&D after 4.0. Hopefully Bethesda does the same with Fallout 5.

Regards,

Doug

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Well I got my new PC build coming in the mail just for this game, so I better be impressed! Been playing the fallout series for almost 20 years.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Well I got my new PC build coming in the mail just for this game, so I better be impressed! Been playing the fallout series for almost 20 years.

I'm a newcomer and at first I wasn't sure about it....now its becoming more interesting as I get further into it.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I'm a newcomer and at first I wasn't sure about it....now its becoming more interesting as I get further into it.

The story is incredibly interesting. Bethesda did a great job of keeping the lore canon from Obsidian and Black Isle. There is so much story there.

I think it makes it that much more immersive.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok. So I have done something that I haven't done in an age - I have gone over 24 hours up almost playing straight through! Have I mentioned I love Fallout?

I stand by my original, kneejerk reaction. I do NOT like the way they have removed skills from the game.

In the past you had about 20 skills (give or take a few), and got a special "feat" every three (3) levels. So if you wanted to not pickpocket you simply didn't increase the skill beyond your base and put points into other areas. You could take up rifles, pistols, maybe put a percentage point or two in big guns, but also put a few points in lockpicking and medicine. You could focus for a level or two and make a real difference if you needed, such as getting you lockpicking up 20% while laying off of your rifle.

Now I am forced to focus on one thing per level and one thing only. I don't like this at all! I can't improve my accuracy with guns, I can only improve damage done IF I hit, and the only way I can improve my to hit chance is to increase a stat, which means by default I can't increase one without abandoning ALL other areas. This sucks a wet fart out of a dead pigeon!

In the past I could put 1% in barter every level. It didn't help much but slowly I could bring prices down to a manageable level. Not now. Now if I want to improve my barter I must take a damn feat, and when I do NOTHING else can improve for all that work I did to go up a level.

I guess the best way to relate to a nongamer is that your reward is the same every time, increasing one (1) thing, even though each time you are working harder and harder to get that level. It is very psychologically demoralizing. Each time I go up a level I can't even put one puny percentage point in one skill and feel like I'm slowly going somewhere. I can't slowly increase my barter. Either I take a big bonus to it with all other areas of the character suffering and it gets a huge bonus, OR I increase something else pretty big and barter goes nowhere.

For all of this griping I still enjoy the game. I've learned how to scrap junk in the town and convert it to useful crap. However, I don't like being pushed by missions to make this happen. I wouldn't mind doing things just for myself, but having to build beds for everyone in the new town doesn't feel right. I understand the founders of a town such as the pilgrims to the new world always work harder and suffer more than those who follow, but I'm a Libertarian damnit! Build your own bloody beds. Don't pigeon hole me into founding Jamestown! Just appreciate all the blood I spilled driving off insane raiders and say "Thank you." I'm the adventurer. I adventure. They are the craftsman. They craft. If they expect me to build beds then they better damn well grab a rifle and man a wall. Otherwise just appreciate the safety I provide by going out and killing nasty crap. And deathclaws are now bloody !@$^&#$@#$@#&* NASTY! The super mirelurks too.

Somebody was right about cycling ammo. It is hard to find a good source and keep the .45 for the combat rifle filled. Yes, they use .45 for their low end military rifles, and pistols and tommyguns as well. They also use .308 for their higher end sniper rifles, but I have yet to see a semiauto version. I don't think I'd want to right now as I barely have enough .308 I'd burn through it all in a single firefight.

Anywho's, I'll write more later.

Regards,

Doug

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I always liked the Elder Scrolls' leveling system, where your skills increase as you use them. I feel this offers the most realistic, immersive skill leveling. I never cared for skill points or experience points, and this new system sounds awful.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Someone on line clarified my position better for me. The Fallout games (except for BOS) were mainly focused on the RPG aspect and had some first person shooter in there for fun.

THIS version is focused on the FPS aspect and almost entirely removing the RPG aspect of the game.

Very disappointing.

I still love the Fallout world and the Fallout series, but if/when Fallout 5 is released I may well not be waiting for the store to open that day, but rather waiting to hear reviews from others to tell me whether my money will be well spent with Fallout or in other entertainment directions.

Doug

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    RPGs are too hard for casual gamers. They have ruined a lot of really good series. I'm not a big fan of FPS games. I like RPGs, and there aren't many good ones these days, at least not from any of the major developers.

Angry Pirate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I've played a little bit of the first Fallout in the past. I built a new gaming rig back in the summer, may have to try it out to to run it throught the paces..

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    In purchasing fallout 4, I aquired fallout 3 as part of the deal...whenever I get through this game, I'll start on fallout 3 and observe how different it is.

So the minutemen are at my settlement, but they won't go on missions....how to make them go on missions?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    RPGs are too hard for casual gamers. They have ruined a lot of really good series. I'm not a big fan of FPS games. I like RPGs, and there aren't many good ones these days, at least not from any of the major developers.

I don't play that many computer games. I have followed Fallout for the past 18 years. I have also followed Civilization. Those are about it. I think I have played about three (3) other computer games over time, but none significant. So for me it has always been the mix of post apocalypse and RPG that I have enjoyed the most from Fallout.

I do believe in change and improvement. I believe in experimenting with new techniques, ideas, and concepts. But what I don't agree with is a paradigm shift from focusing on the RPG side to focusing on the FPS side. It has always been a FPS with the exception of BOS. They didn't need to take that away. But they have gutted, at least partially, the draw of the series for me.

That is why I will complain. As someone who has spent several hundred dollars on their product they should listen to the group of me out here that has supported their brand for over a decade. That is what every company needs to do - listen to all of the stakeholders involved in their business, and the consumer is definitely a stakeholder.

Regards,

Doug

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

I don't play that many computer games. I have followed Fallout for the past 18 years. I have also followed Civilization. Those are about it. I think I have played about three (3) other computer games over time, but none significant. So for me it has always been the mix of post apocalypse and RPG that I have enjoyed the most from Fallout.

I do believe in change and improvement. I believe in experimenting with new techniques, ideas, and concepts. But what I don't agree with is a paradigm shift from focusing on the RPG side to focusing on the FPS side. It has always been a FPS [RPG] with the exception of BOS. They didn't need to take that away. But they have gutted, at least partially, the draw of the series for me.

That is why I will complain. As someone who has spent several hundred dollars on their product they should listen to the group of me out here that has supported their brand for over a decade. That is what every company needs to do - listen to all of the stakeholders involved in their business, and the consumer is definitely a stakeholder.

Regards,

Doug

Just one mistake there. I know what you meant, but I want to clarify that for everyone.

I have enjoyed the Fallout series for perhaps 7 or 8 years. I was originally an Elder Scrolls fan, and was drawn to Fallout when Fallout 3 came out. I played through that, and was very impressed. The story was amazing, the world was incredible, I loved everything about it. I then played Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: Tactics, and Fallout: BOS to learn as much about the story as possible. This helped a lot during New Vegas, as Obsidian developed that game, and threw in a lot of references to the earlier games. New Vegas is easily my favorite for a lot of reasons, but 3 is a fantastic game. I like hardcore mode a lot in NV, and prefer to play that game in as realistic a way as possible. I stopped using fast travel long ago on any RPG to provide myself with a more immersive gameplay.

I, too, hope that Bethesda will get back to what made this series great. That Elder Scrolls Online MMO was VERY disappointing. I just want an immersive, open world RPG. Get rid of the damn quest markers, quit holding my hand. Morrowind, from a story and quest point of view, was close to perfect. It could use some modernization, but I still play it a lot. Oblivion and Skyrim were heavily catered to the casual gamers, and lost a lot of what made the series great.

Casual gamers should not be playing games such as these. They can stick to Call of Duty and Halo (Halo is another game ruined by casual online gaming. I didn't play any of them after Halo 3. The first one was the best, 2 was okay, and I was severely disappointed with 3.)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nexus Mod Manager now supports Fallout 4. There's a pretty good collection of mods out there already, including one that brings back the classic dialogue system.

Also, people have been making some pretty cool settlements. Very very minor spoilers from NPCs talking in background.

[video=youtube;Sbh5PvkVeLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbh5PvkVeLE&feature=youtu.be&a[/video]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom