• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never said a word to any body ,ever , about preparing for the unknown ..:cool:

I just do it little by little . The items start to add up - stack up - pile up - piles of stacks ...I think you get the picture ....

.What I really need to know is .......HOW do I keep my social butterfly of a WIFE of (23+) years from talking about it ?:dunno:

"Radar is such a hoarder "
    " Oh man , we have tons of every thing we will ever need " .:draw:

Apparently , the use of direct commands in the English language do not seem to have any effect on her...:xmad: (read) "Will you shut the **** up about this. " NO one needs to know about having a little over stock....;)

My wife of 31 years was similar as it was a conversation point. After some diligent training on my part she limits this to close family and people she knows is on board. She is my chief purchasing agent in this part of our lives. She is really good at it.

dfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Yep. Someone who I thought was one of my good buddies. When he found out about firearms and about prepping he just thought it was hysterical, and when I stood up for it he just got angry. :dunno:

We don't hang out much anymore.

Joke is on him.

I just don't get it. It just seems like good common sense to me to at least be somewhat prepared.

dfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Anyone else encountered anger over the fact that you prep? I find it interesting. Whenever I speak of prepping, not even hardcore, SHTF prepping, just general prepping for blizzards, power outages, etc., I find people who do not prep get downright angry. They question my intelligence, sanity, and sometimes, my patriotism as if being prepared makes me some crazy anti-government Ted Kaczynski.:dunno: They say, "Oh, are you one of those crazy Doomsday Preppers?"
    Thank you very much, NatGeo:xmad:

I ask them why they wouldn't want to be prepared for 3 days without water after a water main freezes, or have a simple weeks' worth of food during an ice storm when you can't get out (besides, the stores are empty already)?? Their thought processes are just foreign to me.

Maybe they just don't want to face the fact that life isn't all puppies and rainbows. Let 'em suffer.

Sometimes I think part of problem are all of these reality tv shows. They often portray people who prep negatively. It funny that these types of shows are called 'reality shows' when actually they're no where near reality

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    What I find irritating is the snarky looks I get when they are saying , " Well then , if some thing really happens , we are going to your house ".

I see it as a ....... passive aggressive low level threat or a test of my response and I'm not really sure what to say .....

This is why I do not talk about preparing for the unknown any more ..

No one outside of my closed circle is allowed in. Intruders are dealt with accordingly. Knowledge is power, I am willing to tell people I'll be okay. But I will not divulge "how" okay I'll be.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    What I really need to know is .......HOW do I keep my social butterfly of a
    WIFE of (23+) years from talking about it ?:dunno:

"Radar is
    such a hoarder "
    " Oh man , we have tons of every thing we will ever need "
    .:draw:

Apparently , the use of direct commands in the English language do not seem
    to have any effect on her...:xmad: (read) "Will you
    shut the **** up about this. " NO one needs to know about having a little over
    stock....;)

My wife doesn't say much unless people ask and want to learn, not be judgemental.

My kids on the other hand think is is way cool, and have big mouths. Working on WHY it is important to not say things. In her opinion, it is normal, and all the sheeple are the odd ball ones.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    First of all, Sheep are not as dumb as you might think. They are capable of making assumptions.

Do you take time off from work to go hunting, camping, fishing? Do yo carry? Do you participate in any shooting sports? Does your entire family, both genders, shoot? Are you an eagle Scout or teach Wilderness Survival merit badge to local troops? Do you garden and/or can?

Any one of those and more are enough for you to look extreme in their eyes and better prepared then they are.

The talk at work jumped exponentially years ago with these stupid reality TV shows. In my case I absolutely hate reality TV. My mistake was saying this at work: "No I don't watch those shows. I did tougher stuff when I was 9 and in a real situation most of those people would be dead in 72 hours and one would be eating the rest. Don't ever do anything you see those idiots doing or your entire family will be dead in a day."

That emotional response to stupidity in my vicinity put a major spotlight on the fact I probably prep.

As for Female spouses and SO's new to it, they are easy. Treat them like Hippies. I have found Hippies have a 54% tendency towards Libertarianism. When exposed to the light, they embrace it big time but their natural enthusiasm leads to talking about it. That is normal and a good sign they are drinking the Kool-aid. Yes you told them NOT to talk and they still did.

Then you do the drill. With focus and a soft voice be the gentle coach. Think of the best Coach you ever met.........So you told Sussie? And her cousin Jillybean is married to Billy correct? And Billy's cousin Rufus is the one that just got out of the Pen after doing 5 to 10 for meth cooking, right? Now Rufus knows we own guns and have money. Everyone is connected to someone bad, why do you think I don't go to family reunions?

It takes about a year of doing this and you have to be dead serious each time but they are smart, they will get it. Women by nature are more geared towards actually surviving then Men. We are fighters. If you don't have a Rufus scenario, make one up using real people in your life with a vague reference to some fuzzy guy no one knows at the end.

My Hippie GF and I have been together for 9 years, both now in our 40's. The other day she made a comment about something and how she would have reacted back in her 20's. I commented and then I stopped in disbelief and said, that was before you ever met me, you have come a long way. That is the difference between growing up in my Dad's house versus yours.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think a big part of it psychologically is that they themselves are NOT prepared for anything, so in their mind they are stupid for not preparing, and no one wants to admit they are stupid, so they automatically get defensive and call you stupid or crazy, they have no idea what they themselves would do in a bad situation, so they make themselves believe it would never happen and they are fine and that you are dumb. its typical highschool immaturity and the american way of "nothing bad can happen to me" that is engrained in our minds today. I used to be one of those people, laughing at the crazy people on the boob tube...and yesterday i just bought a bunch of paracord!!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I haven't encounter any "anger" but I have revived the sideways confused puppy look. Some people just don't get it, but those are the exact same people who will be calling me to take them in if SHTF. And it's not happening!

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    I dont have these problems, as the USAF trained me in Disaster Response Force, Deseret Survival and Cold Weather Survival. So my family always blames it on the service as why Im always ready to go.

apache67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Tipton
    I guess the reason I discuss it, is because I've been down to the point of having my last $4.96 in my pocket (divorce) and that was it. I didn't have another dime. If that were to happen today, I wouldn't be surviving on Ramen noodles again, that's for sure:) I'm just hoping to help others avoid the same situation.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's one of my interests and I guess it's just simple conversation. I've been down to the point of having my last $4.96 in my pocket (divorce) and that was it. I didn't have another dime. If that were to happen today, I wouldn't be surviving on Ramen noodles again, that's for sure:)

That is lower than peanut butter. Man I hate me some Ramen Noodles.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    I got a unique problem in my house :) can't seem to get the spouse on the same page. She just wants to be minimally prepared and can't see the need for anything past 7 - 10 days.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I got a unique problem in my house :) can't seem to get the spouse on the same page. She just wants to be minimally prepared and can't see the need for anything past 7 - 10 days.

My wife came on board after we made a budget. We budgeted $x for food from every pay period. Whether we need the food or not we spend the whole $x. This builds up a supply over time. Same thing with ammo and other items.

Top Bottom