• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do you really think any of those events would keep you home bound (bugged in)for longer than 10 days?

I'm not willing to bet my life that it won't be longer than 10 days. What if I get hurt and can't work for a while? Several people on this very forum have been laid off and were able to keep up with their bills by using their stored food and supplies rather than buying some. It's not just for natural disasters. Any emergency can be better handled if you are prepared.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    Sorry to take this thread off track a bit. There is no real anger in the household just some disagreement. I will use the feedback provided to help me convince my better half that we need more that 10 days. Baby steps wish me luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to take this thread off track a bit. There is no real anger in the household just some disagreement. I will use the feedback provided to help me convince my better half that we need more that 10 days. Baby steps wish me luck.

I have posted this before but worth repeating.

Met the wife (3rd) 33 years ago. She was championship swimmer , diver and softball pitcher. She also came from a family that believed Harley's, guns and tattoos were for trailer trash. Not uppity folks just good hard working catholic family with strong family bonds.
    It took a while and a lot of patience. She has a sweet tiger head tattoo, has owned (and rode) her own Dyna wide-glide Harley and I have more than w few guns.
    She is totally on board with any preps that we do.

Take your time. Share the experience.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I believe EvilBlackGun has hit a good portion of the problem on the head. Some people allow their ego to interfere with their thinking process.

There is so much stuff I have no idea about how it works or what would be good or not good. I try to think things through and use facts and logic to come to a conclusion. I know there are always people that know WAY more than me about so many topics it is amazing.

I have learned that some folks cannot even consider acknowledging that someone else may know more or be better at something than they are. This does astound me how some people are deathly afraid of "looking" bad by acknowledging their own shortcomings.

We have all met them. This is not just about prepping. How many have a coworker or family member that always has to know more about everything than everybody else? Someone who always has to put, or try to put, someone else down just so they can feel good about themselves?

When preppers talk about prepping they are in fact talking about risk management. They are discussing contingency plans for emergencies. So some low ego folks realize that IF they haven't done it THEN they are failing in some area. As they cannot fail then they must try to put the prepper down in some fashion. This then leads to anger, denial or resistance. It is really sad.

I for one have no real problem speaking with people about prepping. I do it to try to help people consider the possibility of dealing with an unplanned extended emergency. I also look at it as indirectly self serving. The more people that are prepared for an emergency the less will be joining the mob and that is a good thing for all of us.

We all know that everything can be taken to an unhealthy extreme. As an example women who want to loose too much weight can develop eating disorders.
    Prepping is the same way. I believe that if a person allows their fear of catastrophe to significantly interfere with their normal life to the extent that it pushes out all other normal living enjoyments they may have a psychological problem. If they can't go out to have a pizza and beer or see a movie or enjoy some short term junk food because they have to save every penny for their blast door on their bunker then I think they may be going a bit off the deep end, but that is just me. Prepare, but enjoy life as well.

Regards,

Doug

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    My mother was a child during the "great Depression" and recently married at the start of WWII. I guess you could say I grew up in a "prepper" house. I learned at an early age that you need to be prepared for all kinds of contingencies, don't waste anything and stock up for a rainy day when you can. Unfortunately people seem to have forgotten the lessons of the 30's and 40's with the passing of that generation.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Many years ago, My family lived off of our food storage for over a year due to a financial crisis. I encourage everyone to put away "storage items" for emergencies of any sorts. Many of the friends have hearkened to the call to Prepare for hard times. Just had a friend thank me for encouraging him to purchase several AR's and a cache of ammo/supplies. After all, your best hedge against inflation if of course shelter, food, firearms, ammo, and tools. I lost my job a few years ago at the age of 61. Went ahead and retired and am living quite comfortably because I prepared for a time of need. By the way, I raised 8 beautiful children in the process. My dad always taught me to prepare for the worst, expect the best, and pray that the good Lord will take care of the rest. Good shooting all.
    Yes, you must be near my age, (retired 7 years ago). I have two of the largest freezers I could buy, + large lower freezer in fridge. I just bought a steer, at the packing house now, little worried that I have enough empty space. Been collecting guns and ammo for many years. Have no debt, keep a little on hand. Drive old vehicles in top shape, own 100+ year old house. Have a new generator with fuel for 2 -4 day in shop. I also raised 6 children and do live within my means. Think it is more a characteristic of our generation to be prepared. As for other coming to my house if SHTF, that's why I collect guns and ammo.:):

Top Bottom