• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    We keep our prepping pretty quiet for good reason but over the last weekend one of my good friends decided to tell me that some of them think I am one of those crazy bunker building people. I laughed and asked why and she said because I built a fence around my back yard. I told her they must be the crazy ones for thinking that since I put it up for privacy since (A) so my kids who like to play out in the back yard are safe(B) we have a pool and the county requires a fence around pools but it also gives my wife and daughter privacy when they are out from all the A$$ holes who like to honk and yell things at them as they drive by. That shut her up pretty quick lol.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Its best to keep what you are doing and what you have quiet. Only tell the people that you trust enough to loan your toothbrush, your chainsaw, and your wife all at the same time, on a Saturday night.
    You gotta trust 'em if you will loan them a chainsaw.

I've told lotsa folks that if they show up at my place they had better have a trailer full of food because my stuff is for my family not theirs.

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    I find it funny that people even say that they will come to my house. I respond with - "You will not make it to my house. Do you have a bug out bag? Even if you do, you will not know how to evade the raging crowds that want your stuff." I say the hell with them all :)

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    My new response to "I'm coming to your house" is something along the lines of "Let me know how it looks, cause I'll be long gone!"

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Part of the problem lies in the presentation...

I don't see prepping as anything other than normal living. Why would anyone in Indiana not be prepared to weather a storm for up to a week or two? For anyone not thinking about this seriously it should at a minimum provide food, water, and heat.

Long-term storage and purchasing in quantity (through sales and bulk) actually decreases my food and supply costs.

Some of the TV programs that have painted prepping as a 'tinfoil hat' activity have not helped the cause. Try appearing 'normal' in the eyes of those around you, and talking about prepping in terms of weather and natural disaster instead of SHTF and zombie apocalypse goes a long way to keeping the conversation positive.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

The sad reality is that even the government says to prepare and people don't listen.

Here in Fort Wayne, Allen County the Allen County Dept of Health has a flyer that explains how things will be during the next major pandemic.

In it they explain "NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO HELP YOU" as hospitals and emergency rooms will overflow with patients. Only the very lucky or the first to fall ill will get in. This means everyone should have several days of supplies and gear. At the end of the brochure they have a very basic list of what to stock "just in case."

I don't have it in front of me but I am certain most here would laugh at the limited list they have. Nonetheless, they are warning people not to count on them or the system for help during a major pandemic. They are trying.

No one is listening...

Regards,

Doug

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My new response to "I'm coming to your house" is something along the lines of "Let me know how it looks, cause I'll be long gone!"

My response when someone says "Im coming to your house" is "No way man, Im coming to your house.....You have that killer big 3D flat screen with surround sound in the living room and one in almost every other room in the house, all the cool game consoles and a library of games, that killer luxury car in the drivway, a computer in almost every room and 1/4 acher to defend, you have it made and i want to be comfortable when the crap hits so I hope you are ready for all of us to hang at your place". I hope when they think about all the work that has to be done at my place and realize how much more "comfortable" they would be at home, it might change their minds.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    I agree that talking with people about our supplies isn't a good idea. I think in most cases when people get angry when talking about a subject that it is really guilt about something. Maybe they don't want anyone to be prepared because that is not what they want to spend their money or time doing, and if something does happen then they have failed their family and thus they fill guilty. I also feel like we are a new (and not for the better) generation of people. Years ago if you were NOT prepared people would be upset with you. Now everyone feels entitled, they always want MORE than their fair share, so many people have trouble being happy with what they have. Just my :twocents:.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Best to try and not let any sheep find out you prep. (Yet it unavoidably happens) Its a shock to thier belief system witnessing someone not relying on, or betting thier life on, thier beloved government dole to save them or thier family in a catastrophy.
    Most people display disbelief. Some, according to this thread, must have skipped the denial stage of acceptance and gone strait to anger.

Denial
    Anger
    Barganing
    Depresion
    Acceptance

I havent had anyone seem agitated at me because I have prepared, but I think if someone did I would try to turn the tables on them and act angry at them because they do not prepare.
    "You mean you have nothing put away, no food, no water?" Make them feel guilty and depressed about thier situation and maybe accept the precarious position they have put themselves and family in. They will either do something about it or go back to stage one, denial. (after all they skipped it the first go round)

Last edited:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Many years ago, My family lived off of our food storage for over a year due to a financial crisis. I encourage everyone to put away "storage items" for emergencies of any sorts. Many of the friends have hearkened to the call to Prepare for hard times. Just had a friend thank me for encouraging him to purchase several AR's and a cache of ammo/supplies. After all, your best hedge against inflation if of course shelter, food, firearms, ammo, and tools. I lost my job a few years ago at the age of 61. Went ahead and retired and am living quite comfortably because I prepared for a time of need. By the way, I raised 8 beautiful children in the process. My dad always taught me to prepare for the worst, expect the best, and pray that the good Lord will take care of the rest. Good shooting all.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    What I find irritating is the snarky looks I get when they are saying , " Well then , if some thing really happens , we are going to your house ".

I used to have this same response from a few coworkers who know my prepper tendencies.

One early weekend morning a colleague / neighbor came to my house to get me to participate in an unscheduled work related meeting later that morning. I had slept thru the bosses phone call earlier. I answered the door with my cc in hand. He and I chuckled about it while we were talking about business.

How I answered my door made the rounds at the office. And no one has made the "going to your house" comment since then.
    :dunno:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    A guy I worked with said that if any thing went wrong he was coming to my house. I replied that was fine by me we could use the help. He asked what do you mean? Well I can't shoot all them guns my self. Also I will need all the help I can get with the garden and clearing new land. You know more people to feed. He laughed and walked away.

I think some people think that all this stuff just happens though thought. I work the garden and have spent a lot of money on stuff to take care of my family. I think people need to take care of there own families. It isn't my job to take care of there family. For what I have seen of the government here of late they are not going to do it either.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Be Informed, Make a Plan, Build a Kit, Get Involved

The Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency want you to prepare. They're spending untold thousands of tax dollars on websites, pamphlets, training, and information to the masses.

No man is an island, and if you are prepping for just yourself and your family, consider throwing in some extra stuff for your neighbors and friends that you will probably need to rely upon.

Lots of good prepper info on the site. Give it a look.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co

Of course the government will be there to help you.

In the early days FEMA claimed they would show up “immediately to your aid”. A few disasters,and FEMA changed the statement to “FEMA will be there within 3 days. So keepsupplies for 3 days until they can rescue you. Few more disasters and morepublicity about how FEMA fails at helping people in need. Now FEMA states tohave 7 days of food, water, and supplies.

People ask why I prepp, I ask which one of the 600 milliondo you want. Natural disasters, because I don’t trust or want any held from theA$$ hats who operate FEMA, because I don’t want to end up like the people fromKatrina, Hurricane Sandy, or any of the other muck ups they were involved in.

When people and even family say they won’t prepare and arecoming to my house. I ask if they know the REAL story of the ant and thegrasshopper? They say of course the ant helps the grasshopper in winter. I sayWRONG the ant lets the grasshopper DIE because he didn’t heed the warning. Andtell them, if you come to my house you will be treated as indentured servantsaka slave labor latrine duty, water hauling, etc. and will get the scraps from theant who prepared

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Well the Home | Ready.gov site isn't telling you to rest assured that FEMA and DHS will come and save you. The message there is, prepare to provide for yourself and your family, at least for a week or longer. I think that is why we all need to include our neighbors in our planning, form CERT teams, and try to get your locality involved in the preparations. Learn first aid, how to purify water, and properly cook food items. You'll need all that and more.

Top Bottom