• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I dont tell many people of my plans or action. What kills me are people that have a ton of toys but say they dont have money to put food or medication back.

Surlyhigh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    When I lived in Alaska it wasn't called prepping. Just as we call it here, it was called survival. I always had a week of supplies in my truck (more at home).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What I find irritating is the snarky looks I get when they are saying , " Well then , if some thing really happens , we are going to your house ".

I see it as a ....... passive aggressive low level threat or a test of my response and I'm not really sure what to say .....

This is why I do not talk about preparing for the unknown any more ..

And I'm prepared for that. Are you?
    Usually shuts them up.
    Then I ask why they don't buy one less toy, and save a little themselves.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If any members of the general public/neighborhood were to discover that I'm a "doomsday prepper", I'll just cultivate that mystique. Start talking about the coming ice age and the return of the glaciers, and/or the asteroid impacts scheduled for 2039 and the resultant nuclear winter, and/or geological upheaval when the Yellowstone supervolcano goes off and triggers the New Madrid fault to rupture, and/or the inevitable pandemic and the zombie apocalypse. The zombie apocalypse being my personal fave. The crazier they think you are, the more they'll leave you the Hell alone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My explanations almost always focus on short-term, obvious disasters. We live in Indiana, we have big time snow every now and again. We have tornadoes, we have financial straits, we have illnesses. And, frankly, I don't just "prep" but live a sustainable lifestyle with gardening and such just because it's so wonderful, healthy, and of course tasty :):. Makes you seem more human than the stereotypical moron.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you want peace, prepare for war- Now then this has been going on for a long time. I think that we should all be just a little bit cautious about being prepared. It's fun going to the store and watching people get milk eggs and bread. How can you eat that much french toast. Sorry digression got me, i just do not talk about it to idiots who will ram you with a cart for french toast supplies. Now I must go make more lead things for brass things. Oh and don't forget a good first aid kit for shopping cart boo boos. :popcorn:

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I dont plan on a fire, but I have extinguisher anyway. The same princple applies.......
    I actaully dont talk much of it except to like minded people for this reason AND to avoid people trying to come to me should something happen.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Whenever I speak of prepping, not even hardcore, SHTF prepping, just general prepping for blizzards, power outages, etc., I find people who do not prep get downright angry.
    Why are you even talking to these people about prepping in the first place?

You have no reason to do so. You gain nothing from doing it. If the day ever comes that they wished they had prepped, even a little, they all will remember that you prep. You told them so.

Whatever drives your reason for talking, about it, fun, ego, genuine desire to help others, they are all major FAILS and serve no purpose whatsoever when it comes to your family's well being.

Loose lips...................

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What I find irritating is the snarky looks I get when they are saying , " Well then , if some thing really happens , we are going to your house ".

I see it as a ....... passive aggressive low level threat or a test of my response and I'm not really sure what to say .....

This is why I do not talk about preparing for the unknown any more ..
    You look them in the eye, and in front of all your coworkers, because 99% of the time this is where these stupid conversations happen, and you smile and you slowly and clearly say "No you're' not." The person you just said this too is very likely to be considered one of your closest friends at work. Strangers don't say they are coming to your house.

But because he is your friend, after an uncomfortable and very quit pause, you then say, "but I can lone you one gun and a box of ammo if you are really desperate."

Now everyone knows they are not coming to your house.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The thing that really makes me shake my head is that some of these people have even gone through tough times, but didn't learn anything from it. My sister went without power for a week after a Michigan blizzard, had to cook everything on a gas grill, use heat from the fireplace, and she still won't store extra food/water. I just don't get it.

There is a state of denial in a lot of people these days. Head in the sand attitude that as you say, life is rainbows and puppy's or something like that.
    I am to a place we do not discuss this openly around folks we are un-sure of.
    Do not want anyone to suffer but have my own to think about.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I'm single, so I'm going to hang a sign on my front door that reads:"***, grass, or ammo, no one comes in for free.

Haha there's a new one. Op sec is very high on everything. Don't tell anyone besides in off hand remarks..."extra propane tank for the grill" type thing

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I have got the same response from co-workers. when I get the ol " coming to your house" I tell them to come on over, I have a bullet for them too. most think im joking, but im not taking care of freeloaders. if shtf, then I am also prepared to defend whats mine, from anyone who would take from my family. 1 person cannot save the masses. if you are not willing to at least make an effort to take care of your family, then neither am i.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I only get into this site a couple times a week. This thread took off in the last 2 days. In reading this tonight I wanted to quote 8-10 of my learned cohorts here. I have encountered, learned and confirmed the same as most of you.
    1) This IS Indiana, Geographically Prepping is just common sense. My grandparents did it because it was a smart way of life.
    2) I only discuss this with like minded folks at work (or social settings) and we share ideas and expertise (just like here); nothing good could come from talking about this among sheeple.
    3) I am lucky enough to live near capable family and a lot of my neighbors are Amish (talk about prepared folks).
    4) I was so excited to see the 1st episode of DOOMSDAY PREPPERS; Imagine how I feel after seeing the treatment Hollywood gave to this show. We all know a SMART prepper would not advertise all his work and its location on national TV. That being said, they could have used the show to pass on info and show folks the why it is a good idea to prepare - just like my grandparents did. And how FEMA & DHS are NOT going to be there to help us tomorrow.
    5) Just like I tell my kids about posting on FACEBOOK (don't), Folks here can plan for, think about, and be prepared to protect their family and themself - just dont say how you will do it in ballistic detail.

It is nice - wrong word. It is comforting to know others (many) out there understand and are doing what they need to do. If I were to believe mainstream media, Hollywood & the Sheeple, I may question my effort - thanks to you all for that.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I have never said a word to any body ,ever , about preparing for the unknown ..:cool:

I just do it little by little . The items start to add up - stack up - pile up - piles of stacks ...I think you get the picture ....

.What I really need to know is .......HOW do I keep my social butterfly of a WIFE of (23+) years from talking about it ?:dunno:

"Radar is such a hoarder "
    " Oh man , we have tons of every thing we will ever need " .:draw:

Apparently , the use of direct commands in the English language do not seem to have any effect on her...:xmad: (read) "Will you shut the **** up about this. " NO one needs to know about having a little over stock....;)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Everyone should have a core value of their own survival. We all forget that issue until the power stops, snow drifts your driveway over, furnace quits working. Those things impede my freedom to do other things! My family values are #1 priority. The zombie issue is far from my concern, but we are more than prepared if it occurs.

Keeping a weeks preps is easy, the paper goods(TP, plates, paper towels) are needed, canned goods, bottled water reserve, back up heat source, generator w/ fuel, safe alternate lighting(candles sound sexy, but will burn your house down) Battery lanterns, card games and board games for the kiddies. Set up 3hr "fire watch" shifts. Eveyone needs to sleep, but not at once. Keep sleeping bags handy.

Security: Solar lighting, barking dog, lock your vehicle doors, secure garage doors. Tools: Learn how your furnace should operate, learn how to reset a breaker that's tripped. Better know how to shut off your water supply, natural gas, and main electric feed! Raiders: Lock and load, keep everyone in the don't ask, don't tell about your firearms. Keep common calibers, keep firearms clean and lubed. Don't throw one in the closet, not know how to load or unload safely, and expect it to do 110% when you need it. Go and practice marksmanship a few times a year. Ammo fired that misses the target is wasted. Prices are whacked right now on ammo, do what you can. Scoop up a couple 22 cal. rifles, and scrounge up some ammo. Trade if need be. 12ga, 9mm,45 acp, 38 spec, 30-30, 30-06, all easy to find. 223, 7.62 could be a tough find. 20-30 rd mags??? Good luck.

Good time to break out the muzzle loaders, and relearn how to fire and load. If you don't own one, time to" garage sale", buy one. They are my last line of defense, then knives and tomahawks. Maybe look at a compound bow, and arrows!

Keep prepping! Be cautious who you reveal your ideas of advance planning for your family's safety. A couple guys at my work are preppers, you can tell as they are prepared every day to finish their tasks. They finish on time, reports finished on time, leave the work office spotless. You can tell. Couple of others ... oh well.

Last edited:

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I agree that you should not mention these types of things to co-workers.
    A couple of weeks ago one of my co-workers and I were discussing guns and ammo
    ( he is a gun advocate ) and along comes another employee who overheard the ammo part of the discussion. He about crapped when he heard the mention of 1000 rounds of ammo. Needless to say that was the end of the discussion ---- everyone back to work

Top Bottom