• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    That's just messed up... Looks like they just shot without him even opening the door. Wtf is written all over that.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Okay......So the next media story that appears.....should everyone's response be....."We don't know that is what happened."?

Of course we don't know, but faced with a lack of other information, can we just pretend this is what happened.....until we receive confirmation otherwise?

They can make it clearer that it is only one side of the story and not necessarily verified but that will never happen. More likely it must be the reader's own responsibility to use his own sense to realize this, like myself and several others have.

Common Sense: So rare, it is now a super power.

That seems to be the response many make around here to articles, unless there is some other evidence like video or audio recordings.

Of course. Unverified facts are about as useful as being the last person in a round of Telephone.

Having been on the receiving end of these "mistakes" I learned a new appreciation for taking one sided news articles and even slanted two sided articles with more than a little salt.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    What bothers me the most is the nonchalant attitude of the police spokesman.

"A gun was pointed at the officer"

So an innocent man dies?

And how was he to know it was the police?.....sickening.

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What bothers me the most is the nonchalant attitude of the police spokesman.

"A gun was pointed at the officer"

So an innocent man dies?

In their minds regardless of him committing any other crimes that alone made him guilty of the police department's wrath.

Always remember that in government's mind, some are more equal than others.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    BTW, the "attempted murder" suspect the deputies were pursuing at the time was armed with a concrete block that was left at the crime scene. I'm not saying the suspects weren't dangerous. I'm just saying it wasn't like they were armed with automatic weapons. The victim who was attacked is interviwed in one of the videos I posted. He had a cut on his head, but otherwise he seemed okay when interviewed in front of his home.

bubba16430

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    logansport
    Is is me it or do the round impacts on the door look kinda funny? Marker #9 looks to be a straight on hit (door closed or just open a shade) officer would have to be standing in front of the door. where the rest of the impacts looks like the door was nearly 3/4 open to wide open. if the officer was to the left of the door.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    They can make it clearer that it is only one side of the story and not necessarily verified but that will never happen. More likely it must be the reader's own responsibility to use his own sense to realize this, like myself and several others have........

I'm not disputing that the media is less than reliable in too many cases, but too many here take the opposite extreme, even when multiple, independent sources report that a cop is 100% in the right.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Lake County, FL Police Department spokesman, "The bottom line is you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police officer, you're going to get shot." Maybe I'm taking this wrong, but the way he said this sounded like the resident got what he deserved. I sensed no remorse at all.
    I got the same feeling you did!

That quote should **** off every citizen of this country! That is one of the most arrogant things I've ever heard anybody say. I only hope karma bites all involved in this cluster ****, and HARD! These thugs are getting more out of control on a daily basis.

With that attitude, why are all these cops so scared of everybody? Apparently they all have Josey Wales weapons skills and will kill you before you can get off a shot.

What a load of egotistical garbage!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm not disputing that the media is less than reliable in too many cases, but too many here take the opposite extreme, even when multiple, independent sources report that a cop is 100% in the right.

I try to take a more neutral approach, I like to allow all possibilities until they are weeded out one by one.

In this example I would admit that it would be the most likely scenario. But I agree some others do not.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

Has it ever occurred to you that with only one side of the story to be told, all of the reports are going to be the same? :dunno:

Do you think it would be okay for you to walk up to someone's door, knock, and shoot them (even if you shot through the door) because they had a gun pointed at you?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Has it ever occurred to you that with only one side of the story to be told, all of the reports are going to be the same? :dunno:

Do you think it would be okay for you to walk up to someone's door, knock, and shoot them (even if you shot through the door) because they had a gun pointed at you?

I think he is saying new articles with more evidence rather than just one person's potentially biased testimony. And also not restricting it or even referencing this particular article.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am late to this party but have had a similar experience in the middle of the night. I have alternate routes around the house and my front door faces south and so does the back door. There is another door to the back yard. When someone does not announce themselves they see me coming one way and my son another in a flanking Maneuver. It comes with the area. Once everyone is acquainted then things usually go well enough. This was a house to house search for a fugitive and I was extremely upset they did not announce who and what. They were a bit miffed that we were armed and out flanked them but it was a wash. They should always announce who and what. That is just the right way to do things.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

All the time. Thus the reason why departmental investigations are conducted after the discharge of a firearm.

If someone pointed a gun at me, even though a door, you're damned straight I would believe it to be justified to shoot at that person.....and so would a majority of posters here.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    All the time. Thus the reason why departmental investigations are conducted after the discharge of a firearm.

If someone pointed a gun at me, even though a door, you're damned straight I would believe it to be justified to shoot at that person.....and so would a majority of posters here.

Give that a try. Let me know how it works out for ya. :):

ETA: So you wouldn't be upset and your family would also understand if someone came to your door in the middle of the night, you answered with a gun in your hand, and the person shot you... correct? That's justified? Just so I can make this clear. You're in YOUR home, someone comes to YOUR door. You answer it doing what you think is right by having a firearm ready to protect yourself and your family, they shoot you and kill you, and you wouldn't expect that person to be arrested.

There's a reason you can't shoot every swinging Richard on the street who is carrying a firearm. If you think it's okay to do so then you probably shouldn't be carrying one yourself because you're going to be in a world of feces after you pull that trigger on someone who's not committing a crime. Our military can't do it in Iraq and Afghanistan while we are at war so in what context do you think it's justified to do so here? Anyone carrying needs to know the difference between self defense and murder.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Yes and we all know how that "investigation" is going to turn out don't we? We are talking about an innocent citizen gunned down in his own home. Police beat on the door without announcing who they are and what do they expect, cookies and milk? Seriously, this is an atrocity committed by sworn Officers against a citizen and nothing will be done about it. That is not ok.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I think that in the official release it states that the home owner pointed his gun at the deputies. Make all of your assumptions you want, I think that I know what I would do in their place. I know that it sucks what happened but he was pointing a gun. I know that a lot of this doesn't make sense. Departments usually only gives ot small pieces of info to make the news media happy.

Top Bottom