• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If I was the LEO and the nature of my business there was to apprehend or question someone known to be dangerous, I'd likely be on ready. It's less likely to be this situation in this case since the article doesn't mention it, but it still could be the case. If the gun was pointed at me, I'd likely react. If it was holstered, no. In hand would again depend on why I was there and who I was supposed to be talking to. Likely I would have mine pointed and asked to him to holster unless he began taking aim.

There's also the question of did the homeowner request ID before opening the door. If you're afraid to open up to a knock, it sounds like the first logical step.

Too little info, too many variables. Definitely should be investigated. Too bad the guy's a dead man and can't tell his tale.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    So it is now the norm to just assume cops are lying? I refuse to join that crowd :)

Well, as TF said, I don't think cops are exempt from lying. I suspect they lie at a rate that is pretty close to that of the general population as a whole.

But, I'm not accusing the police of lying; I take at face value the statement by the Lieutenent who said "if you point a gun at law enforcement, you're going to get shot", and that of the deputy that said they did not identify themselves. I'll even posit that the homeowner pointed his gun at them. What isn't in the story is whether the homeowner opened his door and found two non-identified, armed individuals who happened to already have their guns pointed in his face. At that point, if he started to raise his gun at them and they shot him down, they are at best guilty of manslaughter, and at worst, murder.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Sorry, I am so disgusted with another innocent person being gunned down by stormtroopers who can't even take the time to get the right freakin' address......I forgot the purple.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    All I have to say is that if this ever happens to me, I hope to god my wife makes sure that they take care of her for the rest of her life (i.e. provide her the income that I won't be around to provide, via a large settlement).

At the end of the day, I have to die from something - let's just hope it's not this.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is there anyone on this forum who, hearing someone beating on their door at 1:30am wouldn't go to the door gun in hand?

If it happened, why would you open the door?

Turn the light on, and demand the intruders to identify themselves.

You'd be amazed what communicatin does.

The article says the police knocked. Wether the homeowner opened the door pointing a gun or not, he still opened the door.

Don't open the door.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If it happened, why would you open the door?

Turn the light on, and demand the intruders to identify themselves.

You'd be amazed what communicatin does.

The article says the police knocked. Wether the homeowner opened the door pointing a gun or not, he still opened the door.

Don't open the door.

This is good advice. Don't open the door, the most important things you have are INSIDE your house (family) if someone is going to harm them they must come inside your house. Don't make it easy for them, and shoot them if they try.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Is there anyone on this forum who, hearing someone beating on their door at 1:30am wouldn't go to the door gun in hand?
    I wouldn't go to the door at 1:30 in the morning

I actually had a close scare the other night when hubby decided to come home a night early and "surprise" me. Surprise was almost on him, but I didn't go to the door, I waited where I was ready to shoot.

Top Bottom