• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    The problem I see is there are several new gun owners that may not have even had a gun last year. Several youngsters got their first rifle for Christmas this year and they are the true loosers in this whole ordeal. I have been teaching hunter ed for several years and these first time gun owning families are showing up to classes this year they want to make sure the new hunter is going to be safe. They will be they have a new gun with no ammo. Bear in mind that we that have been in the shooting sports for awhile know were to look for things. These new people sometimes only know that certain local stores carry guns and ammo. So if Walmart is out no one has any is there mentality. Yes I have some ammo would I like to have more sure who wouldn't but I have refrained from buying to allow some that have none to get some.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I drive a 2000 Buick with 170,000 miles and its falling apart. I need a new car and its just not fair that new cars cost $15,000+ while the auto workers are making $20+ per hour so they can afford all their toys like boats and motorcycles. If they didn't make so much per hour, poor guys like me could better afford a new car. Who's going to save their fists and pitchforks with me an take on that evil greedy auto industry?

Or you could get the real story. What I didn't tell you is that I live in a half million plus paid for property. I currently have higher priorities than a new car. So if my car engine blows up, I have no one to blame but myself. Or I could blame those greedy auto workers putting a new car currently out of my reach.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Or it's just easier to blame the gougers, profiteers, and hoarders for your current lot in life instead of taking personal responsibility for it.

I really don't know what your talking about but then that is no surprise.

My current lot in life is likely as good as yours or better, no worse. I do fine.

Like I said in a different thread, folks don't always grow up as they grow old. Then I can't tell your age, probably in your 20's? So you still need to grow up.
    Maybe this is why all you do is say the same thing again and again whether it fit or not.

Since your response was non sequitor.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    No, I'm hated here because I refuse to be sympathetic to those who failed to prepare and I don't scream gouger at anyone who dares to make a penny.

There a lot of folks like me who didn't buy a gun until recently, so I guess we're fools for not buying ammo for a gun we didn't have?

I'd like to think we'd reserve criticism for those who were late to the party (like me), yet still think they are entitled to an endless bounty of cheap ammo.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I really don't know what your talking about but then that is no surprise.

My current lot in life is likely as good as yours or better, no worse. I do fine.

Like I said in a different thread, folks don't always grow up as they grow old. Then I can't tell your age, probably in your 20's? So you still need to grow up.
    Maybe this is why all you do is say the same thing again and again whether it fit or not.

Since your response was non sequitor.

Who has said anything different? You continue to rail against the gougers. I continue to rail against the entitled.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There a lot of folks like me who didn't buy a gun until recently, so I guess we're fools for not buying ammo for a gun we didn't have?

I'd like to think we'd reserve criticism for those who were late to the party (like me), yet still think they are entitled to an endless bounty of cheap ammo.

I feel sympathetic to the new guys up til the point that they think I and others are to blame for the lack of supply. I haven't bought more than 50 rounds of factory ammo in 3-4 years. Yet people think its terrible that I have thousands of rounds of 22 ammo and they have none. I can get on here and blast the "gougers" while sitting on my own supply but that doesn't put more ammo in the market. Or I could let rising prices entice me to sell my supply but then that makes me the enemy.

The only thing that will lower prices is for supply to outpace demand. We can come here and hurl vitriol at anyone we want but that won't increase supply. It will actually decrease it. At $30 a bulk pack, I might take the risk and sell hoping that I can replace it in the future at a price lower than $30. But then again I'm the enemy. So I say to hell with those who think they're entitled to my ammo at old prices and keep it.

The free market is the free market. All of the Internet altruism in the world isn't going to lower prices.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How dare you buy 3 or 4 bricks of 22 years ago and not shoot it!!!! :xmad:

Hoarder!!!! :xmad:

;) :):

I actually contemplated listing some at a rate of $60 per 550. The first person that gave me a real market offer would have gotten old prices upon meetup. Then all those who whined about my price would go on my ignore list. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county

There is always going to be people who are "I've got mine and the grasshoppers and newbies need to be taught a lesson." That's the Internet for you.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. At this time last year, I did not have a firearm. Of course, I didn't stockpile as I did not even know what caliber of gun that I would have. Heck, I figured it would have been a couple more years before I would be able to buy one.

I guess I am lucky because I bought pre-panic (August) and was able to go to the ranges a couple times. I am resigned to the fact that I probably will not be going any time this year. I am unwilling to pay the (IMHO) unreasonable prices. This assumes that there is anything to be found to buy.

Now, I will admit that the whole situation has me frustrated. I did not pay what I paid to have a cool looking paperweight. Before the panic set in, the wife expressed an interest in going to the range. That in of itself was a shocker if one knows my wife. However, that idea has fallen to the wayside.

At the end of the day, I've made my choices and I just have to wait and see what the future holds.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Buy it cheap.... and stack it deep !!!

Alot of people also need to realize that many of us have been "stockpiling" and collecting for years..... makes us expierenced or seasoned hoarders !!!

I can remember pre-'86 when the normal price of a box of 9mm was $22 and a box of .38 Special was $20. People used to think it was crazy to buy 4,000 rounds of 9mm at a time back in the '90's when you could sometimes find S&B at 10 cents a round. We used to haul home cases upon cases of it. Ain't crazy no more.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The only thing that will lower prices is for supply to outpace demand. We can come here and hurl vitriol at anyone we want but that won't increase supply. It will actually decrease it. At $30 a bulk pack, I might take the risk and sell hoping that I can replace it in the future at a price lower than $30. But then again I'm the enemy. So I say to hell with those who think they're entitled to my ammo at old prices and keep it.

The free market is the free market. All of the Internet altruism in the world isn't going to lower prices.

And the only way for supply to outpace demand is to let the prices rise to both constrain demand and incentivize supply.

Prices communicate economic information. Rather than complain about prices, we should be listening to what they are telling us.

JMO

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    i think ill buy me a chemistry test, the ammo that everyone is hoarding must be made of gold!....thats it...i just solved it...its really not lead, its gold!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And the only way for supply to outpace demand is to let the prices rise to both constrain demand and incentivize supply.

Prices communicate economic information. Rather than complain about prices, we should be listening to what they are telling us.

JMO

You and I are in 100% agreement there. Now if we can get the price police to quit driving sellers away. They think they're helping but they're only making the problem worse. Watching the entitled suffer is worth far more than what little I could make off my 22 ammo.

If Walmart raised their 22 ammo to $40, there'd be fewer flippers as there'd be less incentive to do so. It wouldn't be worth my time and gas at $40 a box, let alone $20 on the rare occasion you can find one. But those whining about the flippers whine just as much about a store raising their prices.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    There is always going to be people who are "I've got mine and the grasshoppers and newbies need to be taught a lesson." That's the Internet for you.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. At this time last year, I did not have a firearm. Of course, I didn't stockpile as I did not even know what caliber of gun that I would have. Heck, I figured it would have been a couple more years before I would be able to buy one.

I guess I am lucky because I bought pre-panic (August) and was able to go to the ranges a couple times. I am resigned to the fact that I probably will not be going any time this year. I am unwilling to pay the (IMHO) unreasonable prices. This assumes that there is anything to be found to buy.

Now, I will admit that the whole situation has me frustrated. I did not pay what I paid to have a cool looking paperweight. Before the panic set in, the wife expressed an interest in going to the range. That in of itself was a shocker if one knows my wife. However, that idea has fallen to the wayside.

At the end of the day, I've made my choices and I just have to wait and see what the future holds.

This argument is a typical reversal of blame. Those who have none or not enough blame those who have it for their own lack.

The amount if ammo I bought over the last year or so is none of your business. I'm not trying to "teach you a lesson" I'm just not gonna sell you mine at below market prices. Incidentally I have neither bought not sold at panic prices.

What the "have nots" need to realize is that the "haves" are not to blame for your problems. Life is unfair by nature, get used to it. Why is it Hornaday or any one else's problem that you didn't buy? Why is it you think you have a right to buy now and someone else does not just because they have some already? Are we a free society or not? You guys all sound like disciples of Karl Marx.

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    This argument is a typical reversal of blame. Those who have none or not enough blame those who have it for their own lack.

The amount if ammo I bought over the last year or so is none of your business. I'm not trying to "teach you a lesson" I'm just not gonna sell you mine at below market prices. Incidentally I have neither bought not sold at panic prices.

What the "have nots" need to realize is that the "haves" are not to blame for your problems. Life is unfair by nature, get used to it. Why is it Hornaday or any one else's problem that you didn't buy? Why is it you think you have a right to buy now and someone else does not just because they have some already? Are we a free society or not? You guys all sound like disciples of Karl Marx.

I am not passing blame here. It is a observation based on various comments I've seen over the years on the Internet. This forum is no different. Just what am I supposed to take away from some of the comments in the other threads concerning newbies? Maybe I'm missing the point.

So, you have a stockpile. To be frank, I don't care. Your stockpile and whether or not you want to sell does not affect me. You can keep it or you can sell it. If you sell, don't let your feelings get hurt if I think your prices are too high and choose not to buy. I am entitled after all (as in I'm entitled to spend my money as I choose). I might be nice enough to offer you my opinion of your pricing (first amendment and all). In all likelihood, I'll just walk on by. If I do offer it, that does not mean I expect you to lower your prices.

I am quite aware of what is driving this situation. I know the mistakes I made. I'll be adjusting my ammo buying strategy in the future (yes, there was a lesson learned). I've made my choices and I'm accepting the consequences. I thought I made that clear. Sorry if I didn't.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I am not passing blame here. It is a observation based on various comments I've seen over the years on the Internet. This forum is no different. Just what am I supposed to take away from some of the comments in the other threads concerning newbies? Maybe I'm missing the point.

So, you have a stockpile. To be frank, I don't care. Your stockpile and whether or not you want to sell does not affect me. You can keep it or you can sell it. If you sell, don't let your feelings get hurt if I think your prices are too high and choose not to buy. I am entitled after all (as in I'm entitled to spend my money as I choose). I might be nice enough to offer you my opinion of your pricing (first amendment and all). In all likelihood, I'll just walk on by. If I do offer it, that does not mean I expect you to lower your prices.

I am quite aware of what is driving this situation. I know the mistakes I made. I'll be adjusting my ammo buying strategy in the future (yes, there was a lesson learned). I've made my choices and I'm accepting the consequences. I thought I made that clear. Sorry if I didn't.

Sadly, I think you're one of the few who gets it. Unfortunately, most of those complaining now will be the same ones complaining during the next shortage.

My only hope during the coming food shortages is that the internet will be down so I don't have to listen to it then. Can you imagine what it will be like then?

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    It reminds me of the time I visited my 90 pound grandmother during the sugar "shortage" - must have been around 1980. She said " Stevie, I want to show you something" and opened up the cabinet in her little 8 by 30 trailer to reveal about fifty pounds of sugar. Makes my 8000 rounds of .22s look puny.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It reminds me of the time I visited my 90 pound grandmother during the sugar "shortage" - must have been around 1980. She said " Stevie, I want to show you something" and opened up the cabinet in her little 8 by 30 trailer to reveal about fifty pounds of sugar. Makes my 8000 rounds of .22s look puny.

I remember my grandmother telling me a story about her mother during WWII rationing days. She always bought her maximum amount of rationed sugar or flower (don't remember which) even though she didn't need all of it. She kept the excess in the attic and for some reason, the fire department was called to the house. She was embarrased because they saw the stockpile and she was afraid they'd think she was buying more than her rationed amount.

This also proves that rationing doesn't always achieve the intended results. You'll have people buying what they otherwise wouldn't because they now think they'll need it. Even though she didn't need all that sugar or flour, she could trade it for other rationed items that she wasn't able to buy enough of.

Top Bottom