• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Rceived my new American Rifleman mag. the other day...
    1911 named top handgun of all time.
    S&W hand ejector revolver second.
    Glock 17 third.
    I'm not trying to start a Haterade drinking festival here.
    Your thoughts?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I could have called that one. The list was pretty good ,except for the glock. The SAA should have been higher. That's the trouble with "best lists." Nobody will say they got it perfect. The scoring system they used was pretty fair, though.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The thing is an instructor and gun guy I am not comfortable advising anyone to buy a 1911. The next question is which one. Lots of reliability issues with certain ones and different types of ammo. I don't have those concerns when recommending a Glock or CZ-75. Guns for self-defense should be like lawnmowers. Keep em full an oiled and expect them to work all the time.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The thing is an instructor and gun guy I am not comfortable advising anyone to buy a 1911. The next question is which one. Lots of reliability issues with certain ones and different types of ammo. I don't have those concerns when recommending a Glock or CZ-75. Guns for self-defense should be like lawnmowers. Keep em full an oiled and expect them to work all the time.

Congratulations for being the first one to crap on the 1911 in this thread.

Just curious. Which ones have reliability problems. I'm not aware of any major brand that has these issues. I would like to know which "which one" to avoid.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I am not crapping on it. I carried a worked Series 70 off duty for a few years.

My point is that when you have a good one, you have a good one. But it is hard to recommend one to a new shooter knowing that depending on which one he picks the is a higher likelihood of problems with the gun or ammo than with a Glock or CZ and some other brands. I don't like to have to fiddle with guns and work out bugs, I want to be able to take a handful of different factory ammo and load mags and just shoot. That is all I am saying.

It is a gun, not a religion. Don't be so defensive;)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I am not crapping on it. I carried a worked Series 70 off duty for a few years.

My point is that when you have a good one, you have a good one. But it is hard to recommend one to a new shooter knowing that depending on which one he picks the is a higher likelihood of problems with the gun or ammo than with a Glock or CZ and some other brands. I don't like to have to fiddle with guns and work out bugs, I want to be able to take a handful of different factory ammo and load mags and just shoot. That is all I am saying.

Which ones have a higher likelihood of problems? Couldn't you just recommend any of the quality 1911 manufactures?

It is a gun, not a religion. Don't be so defensive;)

I guess I'll have to take down my John Browning alter now.:D I really wasn't being defensive. You just stated matter-of-factly that there are certain 1911's that have reliability issues. I was curious which ones those are. It was just a question. I know Colt, Springfield and Kimber to be reliable. Which manufacturers aren't?:dunno:

Edit: Oh, and in your first post you said "anyone" not "new shooter."

Top Bottom