• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    He said he was trying to kill the cat that is getting into the garbage. We still have not heard from them, so they are obviously mad about the suggestion from the vet for their homeowners to pay. The vet said this because apparently this happens quite often, and they said they usually pay the bill. We are still very resentful that they have not responded in concern for the dogs well being. True colors for sure. Dog is doing good so far. Our level of frustration, not so much.

Perhaps they are just allowing the situation to cool down a little, maybe they just don't care, it's really hard to say on this end.

I would suggest giving it a week or so & then maybe calling them up and casually letting them know that your dog is ok and see what they say.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    How's about just going and talking to the guy? I doubt I'm the smartest one here but I always take care of this kind of thing in person. Communicating other than face to face is what started this avoidance in the first place. Just a thought and good luck to you and your dog.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Moral of the story?

Leave your dogs at home. If not at home, then attached to the leash on your hand.

I know not many people will agree with me but just my :twocents:

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    Honestly I don't feel your neighbor is responsible for the vet bill. He took precautions to ensure the safety of his animal. You left your animal unsupervised in his back yard, it's not your neighbors responsibility to ensure that every other neighbors animal can't get into it. However, as a friend he should have showed more compassion for the well being of your dog after the fact. But I will also say you texting what you did probably has them thinking you don't want to hear from them.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Moral of the story?

Leave your dogs at home. If not at home, then attached to the leash on your hand.

I know not many people will agree with me but just my :twocents:

Yeah, I definitely disagree. I take my dog to friends' houses all of the time and have never had an issue. The main problem from the get-go was that his "friend's" dog was small and not able to reach the poison, so he didn't think about it (even though he should have). It's an honest mistake, but a mistake that could have easily been prevented if his "friend" was thinking.

Honestly I don't feel your neighbor is responsible for the vet bill. He took precautions to ensure the safety of his animal. You left your animal unsupervised in his back yard, it's not your neighbors responsibility to ensure that every other neighbors animal can't get into it.

You may want to reread the OP.:n00b:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    The guy poisons tuna. TUNA. Like chumming for sharks. Seriously?

Lesson learned: Do you really want to be "friends" with anybody this stupid?
    Imagine a few years down the road when your child is playing there and something happens because of this douche's stupidity.

Chalk it up to the cost of higher education. Doesn't mean you still can't be pissed.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I would not have asked a friend to pay for the bill, but if I had and received the answer you did, he would not be a friend anymore.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I tell ya what, my pups are family, they eat, sleep, play and live in my house, they are a part of my everyday life and show me their happiness and love every time I come home and to this day I still miss my departed ones.

Friends on the other hand will come and go unless they are the kind that will stand beside you while you do the stupidest thing on earth and laugh with you after it's done and 30 years later.

Give him a couple of days, then talk face to face about it. If he blows you off and you're still pissed off with his concern for you dogs well being, nail him to the wall.

Baiting Decon or any other rodent poison by itself is one thing, but intentional baiting it with common food is whole other thing that can border on criminal intent.

So a nice little phone call to animal control and local law enforcement will provide you with a way to get a report so you can file a direct claim to his homeowners insurance by passing him.

It's a end run, but it can be simply avoided by him to just man up to his mistake and pay towards the cost, because I know emergency vet bills are not cheap.

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    Yeah, I definitely disagree. I take my dog to friends' houses all of the time and have never had an issue. The main problem from the get-go was that his "friend's" dog was small and not able to reach the poison, so he didn't think about it (even though he should have). It's an honest mistake, but a mistake that could have easily been prevented if his "friend" was thinking.

You may want to reread the OP.:n00b:

Lol wow I completely read that wrong! Apparently I can't multitask as well as I thought I could.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    depending on the amount of poison ingested I may have not taken my dog to the vet,a small pack of decon is made to kill a few 1 pound rats not a 40 pound dog,but if the dog ate several of them thats a different story.

Sorry man, no offense meant by this...... but you don't know what you're talking about.

A single pack of Decon is meant to be enough to kill anywhere from 12 to 30 mice and/or rats. It only takes ingesting a very small amount, to start the "dying" process. Mouse and rat bait contains a very strong blood thinner. It causes the animal to literally bleed to death, in it's stomach lining.

I know, because we use it in our storage units here. And we are required to fully educate ourselves on what it is, what it can do to an animal or a child...... and we're required to keep that HAZMAT material (text) here on the property for OSHA, too.

About 2 years ago, we let our full-grown miniature Collie out in the backyard (fenced in area) to piddle, as we always had done. Before we brought her back in, she got hold of a single mouse that had a stomach full of that rat bait. It killed her, in about 9 hours. She went real weak within two or three hours... but we didn't know why. Then, she wouldn't eat anything, and when she drank a small amount of water from her dish...... she vomited up what looked like coffee grounds. It was 'curdled' blood. We stayed up way late with her, and she went fast. We found out why, when we had the vet autopsy her.

OP, .... friends or not, the law says, this couple is legally liable for any harm that comes to you, your children, and even your pets.... if it occurs on their property. Certainly even more so, when it involves him putting out rat poison.... where any living thing can get to it. If he was a friend, he would not care about the expense.....and would do right by you. He's not.

Like you, I would be mad as hell.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Sorry man, no offense meant by this...... but you don't know what you're talking about.

A single pack of Decon is meant to be enough to kill anywhere from 12 to 30 mice and/or rats. It only takes ingesting a very small amount, to start the "dying" process. Mouse and rat bait contains a very strong blood thinner. It causes the animal to literally bleed to death, in it's stomach lining.

I know, because we use it in our storage units here. And we are required to fully educate ourselves on what it is, what it can do to an animal or a child...... and we're required to keep that HAZMAT material (text) here on the property for OSHA, too.

About 2 years ago, we let our full-grown miniature Collie out in the backyard (fenced in area) to piddle, as we always had done. Before we brought her back in, she got hold of a single mouse that had a stomach full of that rat bait. It killed her, in about 9 hours. She went real weak within two or three hours... but we didn't know why. Then, she wouldn't eat anything, and when she drank a small amount of water from her dish...... she vomited up what looked like coffee grounds. It was 'curdled' blood. We stayed up way late with her, and she went fast. We found out why, when we had the vet autopsy her.

OP, .... friends or not, the law says, this couple is legally liable for any harm that comes to you, your children, and even your pets.... if it occurs on their property. Certainly even more so, when it involves him putting out rat poison.... where any living thing can get to it. If he was a friend, he would not care about the expense.....and would do right by you. He's not.

Like you, I would be mad as hell.

Sorry for your loss!
    I want to address this with them, but I am still in the "Fire bomb" stage. actually, they have still not responded, and the longer it goes the more frustrated I get!

jamie12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Pendleton
    What if this guy kids were playing on your playset and 1 of them broke an arm? Are you responsible? NO. It was an accident and they happen every day. If your that close of friends then go visit the guy w/ a 6 pack and all is great.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    What if this guy kids were playing on your playset and 1 of them broke an arm? Are you responsible? NO. It was an accident and they happen every day. If your that close of friends then go visit the guy w/ a 6 pack and all is great.

What if they had played on my playset 100 times before with no problems, and they felt safe on it,then I greased the playset and did not tell them?
    We have had the dog there with, and with out us, with no issues. We felt safe with letting him out there.
    This is about ownership and doing the right thing. If someone got hurt on my property because of something I maliciously caused, even though it was not directed at them..Yes I would FEEL responsible, as well as probably be legally responsible.
    The whole thing is, it was an accident, but the lack of compassion, and ownership, and respect for our feelings about the dog, is unacceptable.

Top Bottom