• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Personally, I think the timing of the text to pay a bill is odd and maybe the oddity sort of sent your friends into confusion.

And, just shooting straight here, at best your friend might own half the bill. If he knew you was coming over, he should have dealt with the tuna o'death. On the other hand, it's your dog and you're responsible for its care as well as what and where it eats.

:twocents:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Personally, I think the timing of the text to pay a bill is odd and maybe the oddity sort of sent your friends into confusion.

And, just shooting straight here, at best your friend might own half the bill. If he knew you was coming over, he should have dealt with the tuna o'death. On the other hand, it's your dog and you're responsible for its care as well as what and where it eats.

Well that's sort of true, I personally train my dog's to never accept food or treats from strangers without my approval, we actually have a process of approval for stuff like that, but that is mostly due to a neighbor who was feeding my dog's treats (left over fast-food chicken from where he worked) in an attempt at what I believe was a potential ploy to "win over" my animals for nefarious purposes on his part.

However it is extremely difficult to train animals not to eat yummy & delicious stuff that they find, especially scavenger animals such as canines.

I feel for you man I really do, I'd be heartbroken & very upset, but I think that I would be more upset with my dog than I would be with my neighbor.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    So...I have a German Shorthair Pointer, and we go to friends house with dog and they come here, with their dog all the time. Yesterday we stopped by to see their new furniture...with our dog. We left him in the fenced in back yard, like a hundred other times. We walk out ten minutes later and the guy starts telling me he put out rat poison for critters getting in his garbage. He shows me his tuna and rat poison cocktail, in a bowl hooked to wooden fence and it is empty. Long story short, MY dog ate it!! We rush to Purdue animal hospital and during our 5 hour stay there, they text us worried about our dog. My girlfiend text back that maybe we could turn this in to their home owners to pay bill. (This was suggested by hospital)
    The reply we got was "Are you f***ing kidding me!" WE have heard nothing from them since, no calls about health of our dog...nothing. Vet says he will be fine after a month of vitimin K. We got lucky.
    I feel they should man up and pay bill, and I am more than unhappy with their response, and lack of human compasion here!
    I am trying to figure out how to approach this short of a nuke strike.
    Am I wrong here?????????

no you are not wrong, he is resposible for people on his property.. and if he is with in the city limits mixing meat with poison of any kind is against the law..so it would be in his best interests to pay the vet bill..

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I am not so upset with him having the poison out, or at my dog for doing what dogs do. It is their lack of response. They do not know if he lived or died, and have not bothered to ask.
    We did not demand they pay the bill, we merely said that the hospital had suggested that as an option. I have not said a word to them about it, even at the time. They on the other hand have not said they were sorry or tried to see if the dog was ok.
    This is were my issue lies

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    On the other hand, it's your dog and you're responsible for its care as well as what and where it eats.

I hear what you are saying, but in the OP's case I disagree...His friend should have known better than to leave an enticing (poisonous) treat out if he knew his friend + dog was coming over.

Well that's sort of true, I personally train my dog's to never accept food or treats from strangers without my approval

If you ever have the time, please tell me how you train your dog to do this...I think it's a fantastic idea and my GSD is certainly smart enough to learn, but I haven't the slightest clue on where to start.

I feel for you man I really do, I'd be heartbroken & very upset, but I think that I would be more upset with my dog than I would be with my neighbor.

Why should he be upset with his dog? The dog didn't know any better.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Anyone else think it's odd that the animal hospital suggested others should pay the bill? Is this normal?

If they OP told them exactly what happened, they probably see the friend as being responsible for having poisoned meat out where a dog could get it. IMO, the responsible party should be at least responsible enough to offer to share the costs, being that he was bragging about having poisoned food out where animals could get to it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If they OP told them exactly what happened, they probably see the friend as being responsible for having poisoned meat out where a dog could get it. IMO, the responsible party should be at least responsible enough to offer to share the costs, being that he was bragging about having poisoned food out where animals could get to it.

I get the "being stupid should hurt," thinking. I just wonder if this is a standard practice considering the emotions and timing involved. Maybe if the vet had not brought this up, everyone would still be friends?

Then again, maybe the bill was so high the vet was worried about getting paid?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hear what you are saying, but in the OP's case I disagree...His friend should have known better than to leave an enticing (poisonous) treat out if he knew his friend + dog was coming over.

I completely agree with your disagreement with me, which is why I wrote this earlier, showing that we actually agree:laugh::laugh:

If he knew you was coming over, he should have dealt with the tuna o'death.

To the OP, I don't know how close of friends you are (sounds pretty close though as much visiting as you've done). I really think that yet another friendly visit to discuss this issue will get things sorted out. I hope it works out for you and your friends and I'm glad your dog is going to be alright.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I get the "being stupid should hurt," thinking. I just wonder if this is a standard practice considering the emotions and timing involved. Maybe if the vet had not brought this up, everyone would still be friends?

Then again, maybe the bill was so high the vet was worried about getting paid?

I get what you're saying and agree about the everyone would still be friends part...but yeah, the vet was probably concerned with getting paid. Testing and treatment does add up quite a bit rather quickly. Then again, if they were good friends one would think that the friend wouldn't have much of a problem at least trying to make an effort in paying part of the bill (at least that is how I would have handled it if I were the friend).

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    If you ever have the time, please tell me how you train your dog to do this...I think it's a fantastic idea and my GSD is certainly smart enough to learn, but I haven't the slightest clue on where to start.

It's actually really easy.

I started off making them wait their individual turns for treats, repeating the same command for each only incorporating their individual names into that command.

That way they were not authorized to come & eat their treat until they heard their individual name in the command.

Then I moved to working on the whole "found/scavenged" food scenario, what I did there was basically after I would eat supper or something I'd set the dirty plate or bowl on the floor but not allow any of them near it, those left-overs were still MINE and until they heard their name incorporated with the treat command they were not allowed to even sniff around it, at least not until they hear their name incorporated into the treat command.

I'd even leave the room & wait .. initially they will see this as an opportunity to sneak-thief the left-overs but when you start to hear your fork/spoon rattle around on the plate/bowl that's when you rush out and aggressively reclaim your authority over the left-overs.

Rinse & repeat until the dogs understand that YOU are the one who decides who eats what & when they eat it.

I don't do this with their regular/shared food bin though & I do not allow them to show any sort of aggression towards each other when it comes to food or treats, that way they have a source of food that they can eat whenever they get hungry & no-one &/or no other dog will bother them.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Quick question, what's the difference between leaving out a bowl of rat poison and a bowl of antifreeze? Serious question because I'm curious, can't you get in trouble leaving a bowl of antifreeze out in attempt to "kill something"?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, off topic but, where does somebody get off putting out poison?
    You may kill the coon or possum getting into your trash, but you might end up killing the neighborhood cats, your best friends dog, or the slow kid that took the dare. That's the risk you take with poisoned meat. I'd be nuclear if I was in your spot.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Is this true? If so, is it different outside of city limits?

Lafayette city code bans it..
    I am not sure about state DNR laws on poison meat, but US fish and wildlife regulates it some... there was a case that got headlines because the guy got a pardon from Bush.. but his crime was putting out poison meat & killing birds.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Yeah, off topic but, where does somebody get off putting out poison?
    You may kill the coon or possum getting into your trash, but you might end up killing the neighborhood cats, your best friends dog, or the slow kid that took the dare. That's the risk you take with poisoned meat. I'd be nuclear if I was in your spot.

I suspect he was not really targeting rats..

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    He said he was trying to kill the cat that is getting into the garbage. We still have not heard from them, so they are obviously mad about the suggestion from the vet for their homeowners to pay. The vet said this because apparently this happens quite often, and they said they usually pay the bill. We are still very resentful that they have not responded in concern for the dogs well being. True colors for sure. Dog is doing good so far. Our level of frustration, not so much.

Top Bottom