• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    for reinstalling barrels, i've always just used a small stack of pennys on the end of the barrel and pushed (12 ton press). never had a problem. They make/I have a support that fits the trunnion from the back side while doing this. The all thread approach supposedly works well though.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is some 922r compliance info I research on the web:

There are 16 922r countable parts:

1 - Barrel
    2 - Bolt
    3 - Bolt Carrier
    4 - Buttstock
    5 - Disconnector
    6 - Front and Rear Trunnions (Rear isn't a countable part)
    7 - Gas Piston
    8 - Hammer
    9 - Magazine Body
    10 - Magazine floor plate
    11 - Magazine follower
    12 - Muzzle Device
    13 - Receiver
    14 - Pistol Grip
    15 - Trigger
    16 - Upper and Lower Hand guards (Count as one piece)

We can only use 10 import parts. We have 16 countable pieces. So we need 6 US made parts for compliance. Since we are building sheet metal receivers (that will count as 1 of our pieces) that leaves us 5 so go.

In my case I will use US made:

Barrel
    Hammer
    Muzzle device
    Trigger
    If I use USA made magazines (that is 3 more parts) I am set with room to spare. I'll use new mag floor plate and follower and I will be fine.

Information source: Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds

This is probably all common knowledge to most builders. But I though it worth bringing up again. It's good info to have for those that are thinking about building in the future.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    for reinstalling barrels, i've always just used a small stack of pennys on the end of the barrel and pushed (12 ton press). never had a problem. They make/I have a support that fits the trunnion from the back side while doing this. The all thread approach supposedly works well though.

If you have it, we'll use it! :-) thanks Paul. It might not hurt to have an extra setup of some kind just in case we get bottle necked at a step.

I need more parts then I though for this 74 build. Front ad rear sight gas tube, gas block, trigger guard and maybe a little more. I think I still did ok. Anyone have any of these pieces as spares? I'd rather pay you then someone else.

I am so eager to get started!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I posted all the 922r stuff a few pages ago. Ak's are Ak's as far as the parts go, 74's don't need more than a 47. The stock is cool but honestly I was hoping for art rather than a name. :) Mag SPRINGS do not count, only the Follower, body and floor plates. If the list you show is complete you are only showing 7 parts with the magazine. You need less that ten foreign parts so you are still short 3. The worksheet is flawed as I said last time you posted it, do it in your head or on paper instead. My list is on post #92.

Trigger? Do you men Trigger, disconnector and hammer? That is an FCG or fire control group. Look at my list a few pages back because yours is a little hard to use IMO and incomplete. There are 20 parts if a barrel extension is used and 10 without. AK's like AMD's need a barrel extension because the barrel is too short to be legal here in the USA.

A gas piston is an easy bit and if this is something you want to do I can show you how. Mine is already done. You just have to remove the black paint from the carrier to find the rivet then drive that out with a punch. Screw the US Made one in all the way then back it out a ittle so it is sort of loose like the original was then put the new rivet in by drilling through the base of the piston through the hole in the carrier. Then put the new rivet in there and peen it flat with a ball peen hammer.

A barrel press jig makes it easier but a stack of coins works fine too. Never used all thread but it shouldn't be any different than a stack of coins. Putting them back in can be tricky without a jig but I have done that too. It has just been a while. If I can afford it, and that is a big maybe, I will see about buying the removal jig as someone said they have a barrel jig for the replacement of it I thought. In any case steel isn't the best thing to use for anything since it is hard like the barrel IMO. I will see about bring a bunch of pennies at least.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I copied that list from info found on line. I'll go back and check it. I will make sure I am compliant. That's for sure!

I was not planning on the stock being cool. I think this is a AK47 stock. It does not have the grooves down the side. I am more interested in a original look.

It looks like we have the barrel press in and push out covered!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Im going with the CHEAPEST parts to get my compliant ak47 built. But Im not giving up any of my surplus magazines. Anyone know where I can get some usa made floorplates though? Thatll give me one on the cheap!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Im going with the CHEAPEST parts to get my compliant ak47 built. But Im not giving up any of my surplus magazines. Anyone know where I can get some usa made floorplates though? Thatll give me one on the cheap!
    I probably have a couple laying around you can have but don't bet on me finding them, that way if I don't your not screwed

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I probably have a couple laying around you can have but don't bet on me finding them, that way if I don't your not screwed
    I checked Midway and they didnt have them. Im not gonna let a missing USA mag floorplate keep me from building my kit. ;)
    Do you have a air compressor in your garage to run the sandblaster? Or should I bring my 6hp craftsman?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

It looks like these people have them in packs of 6 https://www.k-var.com/shop/Floor-Plate If that is more then you need I'd split them with you. Np.

The biggest that will fit in the barrel. I pressed my barrel out years ago. Wow was it a mutha to get out! I cant imagine they are fun to get back in.

I hear that is is a 1/4 rod. I will check. We need to make sure it fits the 5.45 and the 7.62. I will turn some brass to fit the chamber and a cap to fit the muzzle end. I have ideals of what I need to make from other site's :-) We may not need them. But it will give me something to do. Another tool for the collection.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Toth tool set uses all thread but not down the barrel. Two rods are used on the outside of the trunnion and you just crank the ratchet. Easy peasy. Put a little anti-seize on the barrel and it slides right in.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I checked Midway and they didnt have them. Im not gonna let a missing USA mag floorplate keep me from building my kit. ;)
    Do you have a air compressor in your garage to run the sandblaster? Or should I bring my 6hp craftsman?
    I feel ya.
    i do have air but you should bring yours to dedicate to the sand blaster. Mine won't run the other tools and that. I figure the more stages we can have people rotating through at a time the faster and more guns will be built.
    thanks for bringing that stuff!!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I feel ya.
    i do have air but you should bring yours to dedicate to the sand blaster. Mine won't run the other tools and that. I figure the more stages we can have people rotating through at a time the faster and more guns will be built.
    thanks for bringing that stuff!!
    Roger That. Ill bring my 6hp compressor. Its a vertical so easy enough to load and wont take up too much room in the Tahoe.

brrrrt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    N.W.I.
    Hey, 1911ly. I've built a few AK kits over the years. If there is room, I'd like to join your group here. I have an AK builder hole drilling fixture and a Toth tool trigger guard riveting jig, plus many spare parts I'd have to dig through to know what I have. My project has to do with a former screw build in which the barrel is stuck half-way in. I've tried the allthread method to install it but after snapping several of those I'll need access to a press to complete the job. Yeah, there are drill divots in the barrel where the front trunnion screws used to be.:xmad:
    I also have a spot welder with modified lower tong to reach into the receiver and a bolt cutter rivet squeezer I can bring.

brrrrt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    N.W.I.
    No problemo, TT. I'll just have to get a 12 ton press next time HF has a sale. Time to start collecting more kits, I reckon.:)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hey, 1911ly. I've built a few AK kits over the years. If there is room, I'd like to join your group here. I have an AK builder hole drilling fixture and a Toth tool trigger guard riveting jig, plus many spare parts I'd have to dig through to know what I have. My project has to do with a former screw build in which the barrel is stuck half-way in. I've tried the allthread method to install it but after snapping several of those I'll need access to a press to complete the job. Yeah, there are drill divots in the barrel where the front trunnion screws used to be.:xmad:
    I also have a spot welder with modified lower tong to reach into the receiver and a bolt cutter rivet squeezer I can bring.

Hello, sorry about the delay in getting back to you and for being low profile the last day or so. I just got back in town, I as at the University of Chicago having surgery :-(

This build is full but I'd bet there will be another!I am already Looking at the third kit. I can put you down as a stand by if someone can't make it?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Where in NWI are you??

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Looks like things are going well... don't forget to count your receiver and for some, the barrel, as US made unless you have something I've found hard to get like a Bulgarian one. :)

Here are my US Parts if it helps anyone... Receiver (1), FCG (3), Gas Pistol (1), Fore End (1), PG, (1), Stock (1), MD (1), Floorplate (1) which is enough if I haven't messed up my count. All my mags have US Floorplates at this point. They used to be easy to find and cheap so I just did them.

Top Bottom