• Poll closed .

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a moderator friend there. He can't speed up the whole validation thing though, to make you feel better it took me three weeks to get approved. He will tell you to use the lost password link to get a new PW. Mine was screwy too.

I looked for the missing password link but did not see it. I will check again. there is a lot of great info on that website.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    All my parts should be here by the end of next week for my 47. it will be 922r compliant I am still going over the parts on the 74. I may wait for another build to do that one. We'll see!

How are the other builders doing? I know Warthog is ready.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The 47 and the 74 have the same parts and compliance BTW.

As he said, I am ready and ready to hit the presses. :)

So the 74 parts will interchange with the 47? Namely I need the trigger guard, gas block & tube and the sights.

did you find it? try to enter and fail and you will see it then.

I got the link to reset after the 5th fail. Their system say I am not a valid member. So, I had to start from scratch again. We'll see if it takes 3 weeks again :-/

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    there is only one person to send out the validations and she can take a long time to do it. It took me a month and a half to get approved. So if it take a long time it is par for the course sadly.

No, I mean the parts counted are the same though many are indeed interchangeable. The trigger control group will be the same and a G2 from TAPCO works in both. The guard IS NOT a countable part. ONLY the actual trigger, disconnector and hammer count. Gas tubes do not count but gas pistons do. AGAIN, here are the countable parts of the AK system...

The parts of AK type rifle are as follows:
    (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions (if the barrel is too short like a fake can)
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (9) Gas pistons
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Buttstocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Magazine followers
    (20) Magazine floorplate

Not all parts are on all rifles, For example BARREL EXTENSIONS which are like a fake can of something to make the barrel itself long enough, not the same as a MUZZLE DEVICE which is like a flash hider.

YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 10 PARTS BE OF FOREIGN SOURCE THE RIFLE TO BE LEGAL.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The trigger guard itself is missing along with the gas tube and block etc.. When the parts for the 47 come in I will lay things out am make sure I don't need anything else. If I do then I'll order the 74 pieces. One is enough to build at the moment. I will probably pre drill my receiver and do my barrel pin. I'll double check my head space first. i am eager to get started :-) Then finish it at the party!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    As long as you don't mess up, drilling the barrel is relatively easy to do but I would wait myself fo help. Ruin it and it has to be replaced or turned all over to cover the wrong holes. I guess it surprises me you feel confident enough to drill your barrel but not to replace your gas piston. I decided to wait for mine because it is esay and thought it might help to see me do mine. It is one of the easy parts that keep the rifle looking correct. There ARE differences between the 47 and the 74 gas piston though so get the right one.

I do get the need for a trigger guard and other things to make the kit build-able but only those thing on the list count to make it legal.

I may as well bring the barrel. trunnion and rear trunnion with the receiver for my Tantal UF build. I can assemble it from there if time runs out and I only need the press to do these things.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a mill/lathe and know how to use it. I did not know how the piston was assembled. I have researched it now. I bet I could handle it. If I get apprehensive I'll stop. I am very mechanically inclined as well. This will be my first AK but not my first rodeo :-) I am a tinkerer. I follow instruction very well. I have worked on everything from cars to heavy machinery. I am in to electronics too.

Retired from communications. Just do electronics as a hobby now. And then I discovered gunsmithing :-(

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    all you do is find the rivet. then determine which end is which and pound the small end out with a hammer. Then screw it out. The screw the new one in completely so it is tight and back it out a turn or two to get the same wiggle as the original had. Now drill a new rivet hole. The using a nail, put the new "rivet" in and cut to length and peen both sides with a ball peen hammer. Done.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    all you do is find the rivet. then determine which end is which and pound the small end out with a hammer. Then screw it out. The screw the new one in completely so it is tight and back it out a turn or two to get the same wiggle as the original had. Now drill a new rivet hole. The using a nail, put the new "rivet" in and cut to length and peen both sides with a ball peen hammer. Done.

I will use those tips! Thanks. nothing beats first hand info.

I picked up another kit. A romy that was posted in the adds awhile back. It has most of the compliance parts with it. It needs a stock and a the basic build parts. Comes with a new piston and a 80% receiver. It should be a nice build. I have to stop buying stuff!!! I'll order the parts I need after I get the thing in. My other parts should be here near the end of the week. I will build one of the 2 47's at the party. Maybe start a second if there is time.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    my bacon is going to my ride. :)

MMM Bacon!! I love it, my cardiologist doesn't :-( I still have a BLT once in a while though!

I got a chance to look over the last kit I bought. It's nice! Looks unissued. I can't ID the barrel but I'd guess it's commy. If I used New mags with it I should be GTG on 922r. It came with new piston and G2 trigger. I am also under on my other kit especially if I use new mags. I'll order a new set of furniture for this one. I am going to order a few more things from AK-builder. I am GTG on the one really close on this one. The 74 needs a lot yet. I'll do the polish first at the party. See how time goes. Maybe get a good start on the Rommy.

Hows everyone doing on sourcing kits and parts. I know Trigs got a good start and Wart & I are ready. Chime in with where you're at. Time is getting short people!! :-)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I need to press off a front sight post on my sa93 and replace it with a new one that accommodates a cleaning rod. Can someone help me do this at the build? If so I'll buy the new front sight. Thanks

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You will be home TT, get the sight and if someone can do it we can go it.

I have all I need, am over my 922r needs for both and even have receivers.

I STILL hope to bend a couple of receivers and put the center support in them and weld the rails if there is a spot welder. That way they will be ready to build from and have for the next party I get to go to though.

I am pretty ready to do this myself and have been. I think I will drag my full stock our with all that is with it and take a before picture just for the heck of it and maybe the UF Tantal as well. If we had all the time in the world I would bring a third kit. As it is I only really want to finish the Polish Full stock, get the two trunnions and barrel into the UF Tantal and fold some receivers. I can finish the Tantal at home once the barrel and rear trunnion are riveted in so I fon't use as much time for it to make tim to help others get their stuff done. :)

Top Bottom