• Poll closed .

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So I found myself in Bradis today coonfingering their AKs, and thought to myself "I wouldn't mind just having one of these around for.. you know.. just in case". But when I contemplate adding another caliber to the family, my palms get sweaty. Can you by chance chamber one of these in .308?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So I found myself in Bradis today coonfingering their AKs, and thought to myself "I wouldn't mind just having one of these around for.. you know.. just in case". But when I contemplate adding another caliber to the family, my palms get sweaty. Can you by chance chamber one of these in .308?
    Yessir! You can buy (like warthog said) a saiga in .308 and convert it. Or get one in .223 and do the same.

brrrrt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    N.W.I.
    I have an M77 Yugo .308 I bought a while ago from Classic.Zastava PAP M77PS Rifle - Classic AK Styling in .308 Caliber I put an Ace folding stock on it and a Yugo style plastic pistol grip. Not a fan of the thumbhole stocks. I also cut the spot weld on the muzzle nut and installed a US made Ruskie style flash hider from CNC Warrior. Also installed a double hook Tapco fcg to get the 922r up on it. Had to make a plunger/spring combo to hold the muzzle devise on using a cut down 5/32 drill bit and a spring from the hardware store. Extra mags can be gotten by modifying M14 mags. It is a continuing project. I love the Yugos.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So many options! I did not realize there were so many. Really cool.

Let's get this thing rolling!!! Sounds like a big chunk of us are ready.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah and s has been said, .223 "AK's" are aloso available as kits or from Saiga and VEPR again. Several countries make .223 AK's now as well like the Bulgarians and Polish (Beryl) if you wish t go that way with the caliber. Or do both like I did and have a .306 and a few 223's since they are the easier of the two to get.

I would FAR rather have a piston that a direct gas impingement action action should the proverbial poop strike the moving fan blades.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Mine are GTG, They are Bulgarian, Polish and Romanian! :smileak: No shortage yet key word "yet" And all Russain ak's just went up 100% TY Mr O for making them a good investment!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    one things here, if we decide to move the date up I will need to know well in advace so I can get the riveting tools from my buddy in IL. He is loaning them to me for this and then they go back to him. As it stands now I don't yet have them and won't until the first week of August. So if you guys are itchy enought to want to move things, I will need to get the tools. I also need to check with my ride to see if it is still a good day for him.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    one things here, if we decide to move the date up I will need to know well in advace so I can get the riveting tools from my buddy in IL. He is loaning them to me for this and then they go back to him. As it stands now I don't yet have them and won't until the first week of August. So if you guys are itchy enought to want to move things, I will need to get the tools. I also need to check with my ride to see if it is still a good day for him.
    If it's still gonna be at my place I can't move the date up. It's the 16th Or nothing for me

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am fine with the 16th!

How are you guys doing that are sourcing kits and parts doing? We are 4 weeks away. I am set for two rifles. Going to do one and see what happens on #2.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I am fine with the 16th!

How are you guys doing that are sourcing kits and parts doing? We are 4 weeks away. I am set for two rifles. Going to do one and see what happens on #2.
    I don't have one yet but I will. I've been buying complete AK's lately. Got lucky and got me an sgl-21-61 before the gougers marked them up.
    im gonna build an underfolder I'm just looking for an affordible one with an original barrel. I don't want a U.S. Barrel.

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Sorry guys I got excited and premature e-buildulated in my garage. I had the tools and the parts and they were just sitting there. I have another kit to build at the party and a couple of things to finish on this one. My riveting was functional(Good) I think. Headspace and function checks were good. Magazines fit with no rattle. I had to augment the toth tool for the trigger guard because I used a NoDAk Spud receiver. The crush plate won't fit in there without modifications. I had to augment the G2 Trigger to make it work. I am glad I did it because, I learned a ton about this awesome design. There are some aesthetic issues that I didn't do well like dimpling the receiver, hand guard fit is loose, and a couple rivets are less than perfect. I couldn't get my flash hider to accept the threads. I don't know if I need to chase the threads or I have the wrong thread pitch. I thought they were 14X1. I will have to figure out the measurement. I tried to send some pics but they wouldn't upload. I will keep trying.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you want to email me the pics or text them to me I will get them to post for you! PM me and I'll give you my email or ph#

I am going to try to get some stuff done ahead of time too. I am soooo eager to punch holes and smash rivets! From what I have read the thread should be a 14-1 left hand thread. I'll be bringing threading pitch gauges, taps and dies but I don't have left hand taps or dies. Maybe I should invest in some?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    you have the thread right, Left 14-1

You need to get serious about a kit TT. I understand you feel mine is high and if you can I want you to find one cheaper. I have been looking for you but the ones with the original barrels are getting harder to find and tend to be higher than you want to pay. Your best be is to look through the main AK forum's market places and see if you can't get the kit from those who NEED to sell. That is when the deals happen. Don't be too down on US barrels as they will be there for you to give your child. They aren't hammer forged but that doesn't mean they suck.

If things keep up like this I may just be able to complete two kits but for now I am planning on one, barreling and rear trunnin on the Tantal UF and maybe fixing the Saiga. I want to be available to help folks too so once the first kit is done, I will make myself available rather than worry about my stuff.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    It looks like Rifle Dynamics will be getting in the parts business soon. Hopefully we'll see even higher quality American parts on the market.

Top Bottom