• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Blaming Biden for Afghanistan is like blaming Gerald Ford for Vietnam.

But, this is an opinion thread.....

Had we focused on Afghanistan rather than the distraction in Iraq, things might have come out differently. But, realistically, who among us wouldn't have predicted the exact result we've seen this week as the end of the war?
    Whoa whoa whoa...biden, (his handlers) made the choice to pull out. You bet they get the credit for that, which is resulting in this mess, which we don`t have the slightest clue so far how much it will endanger us, and put the entire world in turmoil.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To any Afghanistan vets,

I'm sincerely sorry right now. Sorry that your country's leadership has let you down. Sorry that the Afghan military and people have let you down.

It ended up being a folly since the locals refused to grow a backbone and fight for themselves, but you did your best.

Your sacrifice and loss is appreciated. We will never forget.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Vietnam War
    440px-Robert_McNamara_official_portrait.jpg

Southeast Asia War
    440px-Rumsfeld1.jpg

Looks like the same guy to me.
    :rolleyes:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yeah, they're the dudes with the gray beards now though. I was 19 in 1979.
    I know we're still kickin (I was 14 in 1979), but we're in the USA where we should make it to 80. People in general in the 'stan can't live to be that old (65 in 2019, it was 50 in 1990, I looked.) If your work history includes "Warlord in the Kandahar area" you got one up on Keith Richards!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I know we're still kickin (I was 14 in 1979), but we're in the USA where we should make it to 80. People in general in the 'stan can't live to be that old (65 in 2019, it was 50 in 1990, I looked.) If your work history includes "Warlord in the Kandahar area" you got one up on Keith Richards!
    Keith Richards cannot be killed by conventional weapons.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How old are some of the Taliban and Al Q'aeda leaders now though? I mean the higher ups... the grand poobahs so to speak.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So they no longer carry the families last name? Or is this just the name they “go by” but their legal name would be “Abdullah Lastname”? Interesting.

Real short version: Arabic naming conventions do not exactly match up to modern Western conventions of given name, middle given name, surname. That guy's "full" name is almost certainly longer, but just like we tend to not use middle names in most circumstances, that's the name he will use most of the time.

Longer version:
    It's more complicated, and there may or may not be a family name (but in modern times it's by far the most common to have one). Sometimes what we would consider the family name will be a tribe or even an area. Kind of like old English "John of York" where York is where John is from, not his family or John Baker indicated his profession but now it's just morphed into a family name even if you aren't actually a baker. Abdullah Abdullah is certainly not his full name, if for no other reason than titles are omitted. Titles in this context are things like "son of..." or "father of..." and I'll touch on that shortly.

"Legal name" may or may not have any meaning, depending on how developed the area in question is. A "full name" could be up to five individual words, including titles.

Naming conventions aren't universal and are sometimes confusing and the name you are born with may not be the one you die with (which sounds odd at first, but Western women often die with a different surname then they were born with), but usually the father's name is in their somewhere. To make it even more fun, the father will now often use the first son's name with a title that means "father of ..." so if that guy is the first son of his father, his father may now go by Abu Abdullah. Women sometimes do the same with "mother of." We would generally consider that a nickname by Western standards, and in developed areas it won't be what's on their driver's license, etc. Tribal areas, from what I understand, tend to be less picky on "legal name" conventions.

My wife's (pre-marriage) name follows this convention: given name, father's given name, father's honorific, family name. Now it's given name, father's given name, my family name in the Western style. She could have taken my middle name in place of her father's given name, apparently, as I recall some discussion about it early on before she stuck with her father's. In Jordan either of us could legitimately go by (parent of): son's first name.

And then, just because what's a rule without exceptions, the "father of..." thing is not always literal but can be a joking nickname or an honorific. "Father of goats" for a local herder or "Father of justice" for a revered judge sort of things.
    So if there was an Abdullah the 4th, or Gunnar the 4th, they'd be Abdullah Abdullah Abdullah Abdullah and Gunnar Gunnarson Gunnarsonsson Gunnarsssonsonson?

As best I can tell, it just remains "Abdullah Abdullah" because the 2nd Abdullah is the 1st Abdullah for the father and that 1st part is all you use. There's probably an unspoken "bin" in the middle, meaning "son of" if you were to find his "full" name.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Whoa whoa whoa...biden, (his handlers) made the choice to pull out. You bet they get the credit for that, which is resulting in this mess, which we don`t have the slightest clue so far how much it will endanger us, and put the entire world in turmoil.
    You are denying Trump made the same decision?

Do you think we should have stayed?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You are denying Trump made the same decision?

Do you think we should have stayed?
    Unfortunately, once we got in, we needed to stay until we KNEW they could take care of themselves. Like it or not, it`s immoral and weak of us to do what we`re doing. Those animals are going to literally brutalize everyone.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Unfortunately, once we got in, we needed to stay until we KNEW they could take care of themselves. Like it or not, it`s immoral and weak of us to do what we`re doing. Those animals are going to literally brutalize everyone.
    Sometimes the moral high ground can't be held.

I can't imagine what the guys who lost comrades there much less the families of the dead are feeling right now.

I imagine Vietnam vets can empathize.

There are time you have to cut your losses. Unfortunately we don't seem to remember the lessons of history.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Trump definitely set the stage to leave. I linked the document. You can be in favor of leaving while recognizing there are multiple ways to accomplish leaving and how it was done under Biden is a maddening catastrophe.
    I was just gonna hit the like button but my agreement with you is emphatic

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Real short version: Arabic naming conventions do not exactly match up to modern Western conventions of given name, middle given name, surname. That guy's "full" name is almost certainly longer, but just like we tend to not use middle names in most circumstances, that's the name he will use most of the time.

Longer version:
    It's more complicated, and there may or may not be a family name (but in modern times it's by far the most common to have one). Sometimes what we would consider the family name will be a tribe or even an area. Kind of like old English "John of York" where York is where John is from, not his family or John Baker indicated his profession but now it's just morphed into a family name even if you aren't actually a baker. Abdullah Abdullah is certainly not his full name, if for no other reason than titles are omitted. Titles in this context are things like "son of..." or "father of..." and I'll touch on that shortly.

"Legal name" may or may not have any meaning, depending on how developed the area in question is. A "full name" could be up to five individual words, including titles.

Naming conventions aren't universal and are sometimes confusing and the name you are born with may not be the one you die with (which sounds odd at first, but Western women often die with a different surname then they were born with), but usually the father's name is in their somewhere. To make it even more fun, the father will now often use the first son's name with a title that means "father of ..." so if that guy is the first son of his father, his father may now go by Abu Abdullah. Women sometimes do the same with "mother of." We would generally consider that a nickname by Western standards, and in developed areas it won't be what's on their driver's license, etc. Tribal areas, from what I understand, tend to be less picky on "legal name" conventions.

My wife's (pre-marriage) name follows this convention: given name, father's given name, father's honorific, family name. Now it's given name, father's given name, my family name in the Western style. She could have taken my middle name in place of her father's given name, apparently, as I recall some discussion about it early on before she stuck with her father's. In Jordan either of us could legitimately go by (parent of): son's first name.

And then, just because what's a rule without exceptions, the "father of..." thing is not always literal but can be a joking nickname or an honorific. "Father of goats" for a local herder or "Father of justice" for a revered judge sort of things.

As best I can tell, it just remains "Abdullah Abdullah" because the 2nd Abdullah is the 1st Abdullah for the father and that 1st part is all you use. There's probably an unspoken "bin" in the middle, meaning "son of" if you were to find his "full" name.
    Well, can we just call them Bruce?

92DE4222-B0C9-4BF9-B643-FE981B874A25.jpeg

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Trump definitely set the stage to leave. I linked the document. You can be in favor of leaving while recognizing there are multiple ways to accomplish leaving and how it was done under Biden is a maddening catastrophe.
    If/when we could leave without leaving these people like cattle ready for slaughter...

Top Bottom