KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I left both graphics in the quote to illustrate why its important to be clear about statistics (sorry, a bit of a pet peeve of mine).

The first appears to be a percentage. The actual US population, therefore objective number of households, is increasing. So, to hold the same percentage of households (roughly) having firearms requires the objective number of households with firearms to increase in roughly the same proportion as the population at large.

So, I humbly submit that the assertion that it is existing firearms owners buying more is probably inaccurate. It is those "new" members of the population starting households and having guns. Now, MAYBE if you count children being raised in gun-owning households purchasing their own guns, it makes sense. But, I think it is more accurate that as some people decline to buy guns although they were raised in gun-owning households (which does happen, and the gravestone of John Moses Browning sheds a tear each time that happens), a non-gun-owning household decides to switch sides.

If that first graph is in raw numbers, like millions or something, then you may be right. But, if it is, I'm afraid that might be signaling the marginalization of gun owning households.

I love the stats that support the second graph. I included that one just for kicks.

One thing I'd add is the percentage of households with guns is from Gallop, it's a poll. The gun homicide rates comes from DOJ/FBI. That's not a poll, that's actual data used for descriptive statistics. Privately owned firearms? Not sure the source but I'd guess NICS data and the like.

What did we learn from November 2016? Polls are sometimes not worth the paper they are printed on. What did we learn from 268K VA patients having guns confiscated without due process? Don't say you are a gun owner.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    And now I received a message that there was a non credible threat made against Noblesville High School for tomorrow. Two students overheard a conversation on the bus ride home today and used the confidential reporting app on the Pad to report the student making a threat. The school and NPD have made contact with that student. I am guessing that after the interview a determination was made that there was no real threat. The app is called Speak Up. The message continues to urge students to speak up and praised the two that reported the conversation.

Irvington Prep Academy had a threat a couple of weeks ago. School Resource Officer was made aware, he contacted IMPD and the threat was contained before anything happened.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Irvington Prep Academy had a threat a couple of weeks ago. School Resource Officer was made aware, he contacted IMPD and the threat was contained before anything happened.

Good. This strikes me as similar to not hearing about good guys with guns stopping bad guys -- it doesn't generate the headlines and outrage. I haven't heard about this incident, was it a real thing?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I found this in a comment to a post I shared from a page I follow - VERIFIED.

In addition to it - Mr. Feis one would come to understand Mr. Feis was a man of faith (in action) and a believer in sound fatherly role models for young men. .... A man who lived his faith and dedication to doing the right thing; regardless of the cost.

“It is with Great sadness that our Football Family has learned about the death of Aaron Feis. He was our Assistant Football Coach and security guard. He selflessly shielded students from the shooter when he was shot. He died a hero and he will forever be in our hearts and memories”
    -MS Douglas Football

On his Facebook page Mr. Feis liked the US Concealed Carry Association and Concealed Nation, among many other pro-firearm sites. Although I did not know Mr. Feis, it is clear that he was a supporter of carrying a concealed firearm. The state of Florida does not allow its citizens, who are licensed to carry a concealed firearm, to carry on the campus of a school…even if they are faculty or staff at the school and even if they are a heroic responsible citizen such as Mr. Feis.

Can we just imagine for a minute how the situation might have been different if Mr. Feis was allowed to legally carry his concealed firearm on school grounds? Perhaps Mr. Feis would still be with us today…and perhaps a few less families would be without their child tonight.

#CampusCarry #FloridaCampusCarry #FeisLaw

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wow...I missed a poo storm last night on here.....Good job to Jamil, GFGT, and CM keeping your cool and answering with facts....While reading all I could see whas this happening....:)

[video=youtube;x-l0p1amEJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-l0p1amEJU&t=60s[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, not really. We'll get spikes here and there, but overall we're declining. And as older generations die off that will further continue the decline. Even for "new" owners, our ideas aren't exactly automatically adopted by them. And the periodic gun crazes we see, I seriously doubt people are buying ARs; during panics they seem to buy handguns, while the old heads are the ones buying up the RRAs/DDs/Colts etc.

This is probably true, but it doesn't have to be true. Every gun owner who appreciates the right, if they want to preserve it, needs to be an ambassador for the truth about guns. If all people hear are the straw monsters the anti-gun zealots erect of guns and gun owners, it's easier to believe that than the truth. I can't count how many people I've engaged on the subject when I hear them say something anti-gun, and they don't know any better. They've only heard one side of it. There understanding of the other side doesn't really reflect reality until they hear what the other side actually has to say.

One example of where most people might have it wrong, it's reported pretty much everywhere that the US has had 18 school shootings this year. As someone pointed out elsewhere, that's nonsense. But how many people believe that there have been 18 shootings _like this one_ already this year? Probably anyone you meet who doesn't really care about guns would tend to believe that.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Curious about where school shootings occur as we look for a common theme beyond a gun, a bullied kid, young male, prescription drugs...

Have any of the 18(?) or prior years shootings occurred in private schools? Seems like it is typically a public school so could that be part of the problem?

A private school can kick out Billy Butthead long before he gets to the killing stage. Are there other differences between public and private schools that make the private schools less prone to attacks?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Curious about where school shootings occur as we look for a common theme beyond a gun, a bullied kid, young male, prescription drugs...

Have any of the 18(?) or prior years shootings occurred in private schools? Seems like it is typically a public school so could that be part of the problem?

A private school can kick out Billy Butthead long before he gets to the killing stage. Are there other differences between public and private schools that make the private schools less prone to attacks?

I would like to see the stats on this also.

I'm all for private and homeschooling. When my kid was home-schooled, There were no bully problems and the principal let everyone carry a gun on campus. The whole school staff and the parents carried as well as the principal himself. The kids also had target shooting class 2-3 times a week.
    :ar15:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Probably need to add a lot more to that list. Broken home, poorly socialized, devalues life, poor role models...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Although I'm curious about the public/private school thing, the results aren't really helpful.

Public schools, by law usually, are limited in "kicking" a kid out. They can send them to different levels of school or something, but a complete expulsion from an entire school system is extraordinarily rare (based on info I have from attorneys involved in this sort of thing). They just can't do it.

So, they play a shell game with problematic kids and shuffle them around until they "graduate." That also means that there's almost always going to be a public school they either attend or recently attended.

Private schools don't have to deal with that. They can really expel.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Although I'm curious about the public/private school thing, the results aren't really helpful.

Public schools, by law usually, are limited in "kicking" a kid out. They can send them to different levels of school or something, but a complete expulsion from an entire school system is extraordinarily rare (based on info I have from attorneys involved in this sort of thing). They just can't do it.

So, they play a shell game with problematic kids and shuffle them around until they "graduate." That also means that there's almost always going to be a public school they either attend or recently attended.

Private schools don't have to deal with that. They can really expel.

It is also an issue of limited opportunities. Way more public schools than private. Also it seems reasonable to suspect that fewer students are improperly socialized in private schools. Like you said, private schools can demand higher standards from students.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not only the expulsion thing. But if a parent cares enough to pay to send their kid to private school, they’re probably involved enough and have the means to get their kid help when they notice something isn’t right.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom