Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's true, but if we were to only let truly knowledgeable and educated people speak on any given subject, the silence would be deafening.

And, if we only let truly knowledgeable and educated people vote, there'd be, like 12 people at the polls.

If you think that there should be qualifiers for who gets to say what about the 2nd Amendment, I suggest that you skip back up to the 1st and give that a read.

It's fine for people who aren't knowledgeable to speak up on the issues and give their perspective. A public discussion of all points of view is a great way to become more knowledgeable. It's not fine to give unknowledgeable people an exclusive voice, or to claim that their voice is more authoritative, just because of their traumatic experience. It's also not fine to exclude them from criticism if they make an invalid argument, just because they've had a traumatic experience. If you're going to speak in public, your speech is just as subject to social regulation as anyone's.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's fine for people who aren't knowledgeable to speak up on the issues and give their perspective. A public discussion of all points of view is a great way to become more knowledgeable. It's not fine to give unknowledgeable people an exclusive voice, or to claim that their voice is more authoritative, just because of their traumatic experience. It's also not fine to exclude them from criticism if they make an invalid argument, just because they've had a traumatic experience. If you're going to speak in public, your speech is just as subject to social regulation as anyone's.

So you're saying if you were to go on FaceTube and criticize Mr Hogg for his lack of knowledge about Constitutional rights and firearms in general, and for proposing feel good, unworkable solutions, that your post would be welcomed as a reasoned contribution to this debate?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you're saying if you were to go on FaceTube and criticize Mr Hogg for his lack of knowledge about Constitutional rights and firearms in general, and for proposing feel good, unworkable solutions, that your post would be welcomed as a reasoned contribution to this debate?

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. :n00b:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So what you're saying...

People who don't like the term snowflakes. Are snowflakes.

No we were (ingo in general) called out yesterday for using these terms. My original post was that the left has nothing solid to offer past the agenda. Dissarming us. Period.
    In this they will shout down any reasonable advice/views/opinions that do not match what they want. Innuendo, labels, name calling and shout downs is their approach as in the town hall recently. It was stated that we on Ingo are no diff. for using the terms we use.
    I argue that in a closed forum we are merely exchanging ideas and view points. There is not really a debate going on. Made no diff.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's true, but if we were to only let truly knowledgeable and educated people speak on any given subject, the silence would be deafening.

And, if we only let truly knowledgeable and educated people vote, there'd be, like 12 people at the polls.

If you think that there should be qualifiers for who gets to say what about the 2nd Amendment, I suggest that you skip back up to the 1st and give that a read.

I did not make that claim.
    But if you become an "expert" and state your "credentials", then your degree of expertise comes into question based on your credentials.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

This.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I personally believe a lot of time has been wasted by the few overseers who've been beating the drum foe a kinder, gentler more PC INGO.

I am thoroughly P****d and if you are too, have at it and call anti's and Fudds whatever you like.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I personally believe a lot of time has been wasted by the few overseers who've been beating the drum foe a kinder, gentler more PC INGO.

I am thoroughly P****d and if you are too, have at it and call anti's and Fudds whatever you like.
    So who are you pissed at? The people who've been trying to get more gun control for years, or the people who are trying to enact it now that they suddenly find themselves in power?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Anti's and Fudds, basically.

Irritated by all the PC mess I've been wading through.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Anti's and Fudds, basically.

Irritated by all the PC mess I've been wading through.

There are antis on INGO? I know I haven't been in all the threads, but I'd be surprised if that's true.

And I thought "Fudds" were gun owners who liked "hunting" rifles but not MSRs. Is that not true? I don't think I've seen any posts in that vein, either.

I'd be much obliged if you'd point them out. It would be interesting to explore certain points with those people.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So who are you pissed at? The people who've been trying to get more gun control for years, or the people who are trying to enact it now that they suddenly find themselves in power?

Why must I choose? Now if you had used the qualifier "more" in the first sentence ... :)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I agree with everything that you said. But, where does that leave us? Sure what was done wasn't fine. They knew it wasn't fine when they did it, and they still know it isn't fine while they perpetuate it. But the public doesn't have a "fine" meter on their TV sets to tell them what's BS and what's not.

It just looks to me like an NBA player complaining to the ref that he got fouled when he took it to the rim and missed, instead of getting back on defense to prevent a fast-break opportunity.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No we were (ingo in general) called out yesterday for using these terms. My original post was that the left has nothing solid to offer past the agenda. Dissarming us. Period.
    In this they will shout down any reasonable advice/views/opinions that do not match what they want. Innuendo, labels, name calling and shout downs is their approach as in the town hall recently. It was stated that we on Ingo are no diff. for using the terms we use.
    I argue that in a closed forum we are merely exchanging ideas and view points. There is not really a debate going on. Made no diff.

I know. I'm joking. I'm just keeping alive the "so you're saying..." meme and then saying you're saying something that you didn't say, to say that people who don't like the term snowflakes are snowflakes.

Nevertheless. Was I wrong? :dunno:

:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know. I'm joking. I'm just keeping alive the "so you're saying..." meme and then saying you're saying something that you didn't say, to say that people who don't like the term snowflakes are snowflakes.

Nevertheless. Was I wrong? :dunno:

:):

Are we ever really wrong in our own minds.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom