Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Because someone is on a plane that loses control and almost crashes, does not make that person an expert to determine what went wrong and what needs to be done.
    It makes them an expert on being ONE PERSON in a group that almost crashes.

Now, it might cause that person to do research. Study aerodynamics, mechanics and electrical instrumentation & control systems. He might then move on to become a knowledgeable person in the field of what causes plane crashes. But only after that person has accumulated knowledge. Until then it is merely incentive.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Heard something on Hannity tonight that got me thinking. Does a county sherriff have the ability to deputize civilians like a posse?
    Could this be an answer to arming individuals in our schools? Retired cops/veterans/civilians ?

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Arguably, they've spent more money on that than any other political contributor (I think big pharma is the only group that's spent more, but I could be wrong).

The NRA has spent $203.2M for political causes since 1998.
    In the 2016 election alone Banking interest PACs contributed $1.1BILLION, Labor unions contributed $298M, Lawyers contributed $257M (just to keep this in familiar territory).
    Many interest groups spent far more in just the 2016 election than the NRA has spent in 20 years.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In the 2016 election alone Banking interest PACs contributed $1.1BILLION, Labor unions contributed $298M, Lawyers contributed $257M (just to keep this in familiar territory).
    Many interest groups spent far more in just the 2016 election than the NRA has spent in 20 years.

:popcorn:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

Where'd you get this info if you don't mind me asking?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Because someone is on a plane that loses control and almost crashes, does not make that person an expert to determine what went wrong and what needs to be done.

That's true, but if we were to only let truly knowledgeable and educated people speak on any given subject, the silence would be deafening.

And, if we only let truly knowledgeable and educated people vote, there'd be, like 12 people at the polls.

If you think that there should be qualifiers for who gets to say what about the 2nd Amendment, I suggest that you skip back up to the 1st and give that a read.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That's true, but if we were to only let truly knowledgeable and educated people speak on any given subject, the silence would be deafening.

And, if we only let truly knowledgeable and educated people vote, there'd be, like 12 people at the polls.

If you think that there should be qualifiers for who gets to say what about the 2nd Amendment, I suggest that you skip back up to the 1st and give that a read.

That's not being argued here. At argument is the imprimatur of expertise and moral authority being conferred upon some, based on their appeal-to-emotion "victim" status.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I guess, then, I'm questioning the necessity of that argument.

Haven't you noticed? That imprimatur of expertise and moral authority is then used to justify a national platform for the speaker, and to assert that his message is sacrosanct, and therefore unassailable. It is further used to castigate, or silence, any attempt by others to counter that message.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I saw this in a link that was a sight that tracks this and yes that is the number that listed. NRA is not a major player at least not by comparison.
    According to that same sight only 11% or so went directly to individuals.

It's not the NRA's money politicians fear, it's the 5 million+ energized likely voters who turn out for elections at all levels. The only thing a politician cares about more than money is maintaining a place at the trough. You make them choose between the two and they'll reluctantly align with their constituents

ETA: A few years ago when water was in such short supply in Cali, I thought we might see this conflict played out, because so many Cali pols get there money from big agriculture but their votes from the cities and they were approaching a time when they would need to choose. My money was on them choosing to appease the masses b ut then they got a bunch of rain and the crisis faded

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom