• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A school lockdown is designed to keep people from coming in and usually involves keeping students in classrooms for a specified time.

It does not mean locking exit doors from the inside preventing students from getting out. That would be a safety hazard. Think what would happen if there were a fire and hundreds or even thousands of students had no way to exit the building.

That's why exit doors meant for egress come equipt with these.

ccb08c3ebc6e4c77af06e524c1725ea5.jpg

This Von Duprin model is made right here in Indianapolis.

I've seen some articles showing devices to lock or jam a door that schools could use.

They are designed to keep people out but they never mention that they also keep people in in case of a fire or a shooting.

NC_sleevefolo0725_1500x845_1406334925774_7066450_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Some were designed by teachers or school students.

door-barricades-for-home-school-office-lockdown-door-jam-school-door-nightlock-l-b9c3b1220f14b088.jpg

I also wonder how those locks could affect a police response.

They will be slowed down just like a potential killer if each door is hardened and locked from the inside.

Do they just unlock the doors when someone outside claims to be the police? :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok.

Some of you may have noticed that I link the BBC quite a bit. As an organization, my opinion is that they really try to report accurately on issues, with a minimum of opinion-style reporting. Or at least, it is usually noted as such.

But, even they sometimes stumble.

I won't link to the article but...

Their school was the scene of a deadly rampage last week, when an ex-student confessed to opening fire with an AR-17 assault rifle which he had purchased legally despite several mental health warnings.

It boggles my mind how they could come up with "AR-17." I could understand a variant of AR-15/-16/-47 (yes, see that every once in awhile). But AR-17 is just completely wrong.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ok.

Some of you may have noticed that I link the BBC quite a bit. As an organization, my opinion is that they really try to report accurately on issues, with a minimum of opinion-style reporting. Or at least, it is usually noted as such.

It boggles my mind how they could come up with "AR-17." I could understand a variant of AR-15/-16/-47 (yes, see that every once in awhile). But AR-17 is just completely wrong.

17 is the number of dead, that could be why they got it mixed up.

They constantly rewrite and update the same article so they often make mistakes.Including grammar mistakes and factual errors.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ok.

Great!

Now I need to go buy one. :rolleyes:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok.

Illegitimate offspring of AR-15 and AK-47.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've seen some articles showing devices to lock or jam a door that schools could use.

They are designed to keep people out but they never mention that they also keep people in in case of a fire or a shooting.

NC_sleevefolo0725_1500x845_1406334925774_7066450_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Some were designed by teachers or school students.

door-barricades-for-home-school-office-lockdown-door-jam-school-door-nightlock-l-b9c3b1220f14b088.jpg

I also wonder how those locks could affect a police response.

They will be slowed down just like a potential killer if each door is hardened and locked from the inside.

Do they just unlock the doors when someone outside claims to be the police? :dunno:

Full disclose, I used to work for a door lock and hardware manufacturer. It was the parent company of Von Duprin which makes the exit device I posted above.

The types of products you highlighted above have the potential to do more harm than good, since they still require someone (usually a teacher) to approach the door to deploy it.

The second product in your post has another drawback in that a student could potentially get access and lock their fellow students inside of the classroom. Talk about creating a free fire zone.

The best solution to lock down an individual classroom is with an electronic lock that can be engaged with a key fob a teacher wears around their neck or their wrist.

This eliminates the need to approach the door or go out into the hallway. There is also less of a chance a student can get their hands on it without the teacher knowing.

https://us.allegion.com/en/home/products/categories/electronic-locks/schlage-co-220.html

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Who is paying for these buses?

school.kids.anti.png

Who is paying for these buses?

They will have plenty of money to rent busses next month to take kids to Washington DC.

Mr Clooney said in the statement: "Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we're donating 500,000 dollars to help pay for this groundbreaking event."
    Oprah Winfrey has announced that she will match the Clooneys' donation.

George and Amal Clooney pledge $500,000 to gun reform rally - BBC News

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom