"Active shooter" on the loose in Canada!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    His motives are irrelevant, he is dead.

...and Lord knows we wouldn't want to learn from this incident. I hear those who study crime commonly ignore the motivations of those who die committing a crime and only study the motives of the living criminals.

Seems legit.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I heard, on the radio today that the "liberals" are already saying that Canada needs MORE gun control....
    During the TV coverage, I never did see any "no guns allowed signs"... so I think we know what the real problem was in this case...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I heard, on the radio today that the "liberals" are already saying that Canada needs MORE gun control....

Yup. I think it was NBC.

I'm not sure if it's the same, but Chrissy Teigen made a statement.
    Super Model Chrissy Teigen Responds to Canadian Attack by Criticizing America
    The tweets began at 8:34 a.m., when Teigen wrote: “active shooting in Canada, or as we call it in America, Wednesday.”
    Read more at Super Model Chrissy Teigen Responds to Canadian Attack by Criticizing America

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    ...and Lord knows we wouldn't want to learn from this incident. I hear those who study crime commonly ignore the motivations of those who die committing a crime and only study the motives of the living criminals.

Seems legit.

Look, I get it. We study these AAR's all the time. However, sometimes a lone crazy gunman is just that...a lone crazy gunman. We are pretty trained up on this scenario already. So what if he sympathized with ISIS or similar? Will his motives change the way I conduct business at work? Will it change the way I go about my day (active shooters are old news)? Will knowing his family tree help my job? No to all of those. This is certainly a tragic event and I feel for the victim's family. Thankfully, this appears to have been a poorly planned, poorly executed, poorly equipped, "terror" plot committed by a lone whackjob. Something we can do little to prevent. I mean, hell, all the news stations are already screaming about ISIS already being in the US and planning to murder every citizen here while we sleep. We are as wound up as possible, this event changes nothing as far as the US is concerned. I am sure the Canadian officials will comb through every bit of info they can to get a grasp of his motive, this is such a rare event up there. However, here in the good 'ol US of A, these are a dime a dozen cases, mostly work place active shooters. What's the difference between a crazy mad employee shooting random people and a lone Jihadist shooting random people? Nothing to the victims or the LE responding. Let the media coverage of the suspect DIE, don't fill the hours of TV with speculation, phantom connections, and endless guessing. Focus on the victim, his story.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is a group of 1,000 under a central command that much more dangerous that 1,000 people acting alone? Maybe a better question is- what is easier to stop? A thousand people with a centralized command structure or a thousand people all acting on their motivations, on their own, any time, anywhere?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Look, I get it. We study these AAR's all the time. However, sometimes a lone crazy gunman is just that...a lone crazy gunman. We are pretty trained up on this scenario already. So what if he sympathized with ISIS or similar? Will his motives change the way I conduct business at work? Will it change the way I go about my day (active shooters are old news)? Will knowing his family tree help my job? No to all of those. This is certainly a tragic event and I feel for the victim's family. Thankfully, this appears to have been a poorly planned, poorly executed, poorly equipped, "terror" plot committed by a lone whackjob. Something we can do little to prevent. I mean, hell, all the news stations are already screaming about ISIS already being in the US and planning to murder every citizen here while we sleep. We are as wound up as possible, this event changes nothing as far as the US is concerned. I am sure the Canadian officials will comb through every bit of info they can to get a grasp of his motive, this is such a rare event up there. However, here in the good 'ol US of A, these are a dime a dozen cases, mostly work place active shooters. What's the difference between a crazy mad employee shooting random people and a lone Jihadist shooting random people? Nothing to the victims or the LE responding. Let the media coverage of the suspect DIE, don't fill the hours of TV with speculation, phantom connections, and endless guessing. Focus on the victim, his story.
    Pretty much have to agree with most of this! Unfortunately, I quit loading "extra" mags when I ran out after two or three shootings ago! I have changed my daily routine, I do carry more ammo, and an extra gun at times! If it happens it happens, if not, I got extra weight reps in!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Canadian authorities denying any link between shooter and ISIS:
    BBC News - Ottawa shootings: No Islamic State link found

There is no evidence so far that a gunman who attacked Canada's capital had links to Middle Eastern Islamist extremists, the government says.
    Foreign Minister John Baird told the BBC that Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was "certainly radicalised" but not on a list of high-risk individuals.

It may be true that there were no direct links, but to me, gaining inspiration from exhortations to violence from ISIS is a link. But maybe that's just me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Canadian authorities denying any link between shooter and ISIS:
    BBC News - Ottawa shootings: No Islamic State link found

It may be true that there were no direct links, but to me, gaining inspiration from exhortations to violence from ISIS is a link. But maybe that's just me.

As I understand it, ISIS put out the call for young western jihadists to come to Syria to join the fight. They also said if you can't join the fun, then commit local attacks against military and police. In this case, the douchebag in question, applied for a visa to go to Syria and fight with ISIS. Canada stopped him from doing that by voiding his passport or something. Being nuts, he threw a fit and committed terrorist acts against the gubmint. The shooter yelled the requisite phrase that these people yell before committing his atrocities. Yeah, no linkage there at all.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Is a group of 1,000 under a central command that much more dangerous that 1,000 people acting alone? Maybe a better question is- what is easier to stop? A thousand people with a centralized command structure or a thousand people all acting on their motivations, on their own, any time, anywhere?
    It is nearly impossible to stop a lone gunman BEFORE they strike. Carry your sidearm and keep you head on a swivel...that is how you stop a lone gunman. The CIA, FBI, etc will not be able to help us. These guys are too far below the radar for them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As I understand it, ISIS put out the call for young western jihadists to come to Syria to join the fight. They also said if you can't join the fun, then commit local attacks against military and police. In this case, the douchebag in question, applied for a visa to go to Syria and fight with ISIS. Canada stopped him from doing that by voiding his passport or something. Being nuts, he threw a fit and committed terrorist acts against the gubmint. The shooter yelled the requisite phrase that these people yell before committing his atrocities. Yeah, no linkage there at all.

I'd rather have a centrally organized group to go after rather than have to worry about a bunch of individuals who believe they have to do things like this. In other words, the lack of a specific ISIS connection is really no comfort to me.

Top Bottom